Abbeydale picture house

The bar's nickname was "Pop's". Draught Sarsaparilla was Pop's speciality and another of his mixes, was Black Current & Compo. (dont know what Compo was) It was popular at the dance interval too. until we promoted ourselves to the Broadfield or Byron.

Just to add to the Primrose Walk comment, I lived in the area 45 - 57ish walking up Primrose Walk towards Abbeydale to the left over the wall was a rough grassy area, before the baths with a bank that went up to the back door of the picture house, this was called Primrose Hill. Used to sledge down Primrose Walk every winter, roller skate in summer good bend on it. The dairy was Primrose Dairy, Oh well happy days. RG

Edited by RoyGillott

I believe the original cinema interior of the place is still intact? I have a picture taken in 1988 that shows the screen still in place and all the seating.

My Dad and Mum worked there in the 60's my Dad was the projectionist and my Mum was usherette there this place means a lot to me as thats where they met ...

Composition or compo was and still may be a herbal cordial that was diluted with hot water for cough relief. My parents had a pub in Chesterfield during the 1960's and we sold it.

Any one else remember the film " Davy Crockett" in the late fifties, ( Born on a mountain top in Tennessee ) I remember Fess Parker, the guy who played him coming to the Abbeydale picture house.

I thought he was on stilts he was that tall....

What about all the fuss and objections when they wanted to put in the double seats, in the end they were allowed but only in certain positions.

RG

What about all the fuss and objections when they wanted to put in the double seats, in the end they were allowed but only in certain positions.

RG

Which were very welcome by some of us! I seem to recall that those seats had a name/nickname but, I can't remember what it was.

We always tried to get on the back row whatever film we went to see.

Any one else remember the film " Davy Crockett" in the late fifties, ( Born on a mountain top in Tennessee ) I remember Fess Parker, the guy who played him coming to the Abbeydale picture house.

I thought he was on stilts he was that tall....

Fess Parker, I retired from work Dec 2009, Prior to that I was working on Sakhalin Island (A Russian Island off the mainland Russia north of Japan) living in camps in remote locations of the island, we relied on DVD (some movies) some documentary's.

We had various documentary's on wines and a major wine maker & distrubutor was (The ) Fess Parker. I was asked prior to seeing the video did anyone no who Fess Parker was.

Seeing Davy Crocket & later Davey Crocket & the river pirates , both at the Abbeydale. It was an imediate response on my part.

I have also visited the Alamo when I was working in the USA.

The 50's also the 60's were a memorable part of my growing up.

They were at near to the front ,right hand side of the screan, some memorable parts of my growing up included those seats, the names I forget . the seats I will never forget.

Yes, they did have a name or names, the main one everyone used I can not remember, the others are unrepeatable on here.

RG

Yes, they did have a name or names, the main one everyone used I can not remember, the others are unrepeatable on here.

RG

We must have known them by the same name then!

We must have known them by the same name then!

Surprising how rude we could be, remember about the same time that American Gent's hair style the DA ? apparently it meant District Attorney.....

Not what we called it :lol:

Edited by grinder