OOh.. I love complaining!

Sorry to sound mean, but that is a ridiculous demand! The best you can do is ask for a formal apology. Which they should give, cos it is their system at fault and everything, but asking someone to pay your mortgage is overstepping that line to be honest. I don't know what you know about security systems, or financial processing and all the rest of it, but that is taking the mick.

Asking for vouchers. Asking for apologies. It's all very plausible and acceptable. If I was the customer service handler, I wouldn't bow to your request either. It's a business. Not a charity. :o

It does not matter how much the money the bank makes as a profit, but giving you free money is NOT how ANY business works. Neither do I think that they can get away from it as a company process. You're off your rockers.

I disagree. This isn't some corner shop who has to think carefully about every new piece of equipment they buy. It's one of the biggest banks in the world with millions of customers worldwide and a turnover of billions.

Banks exist by gambling our money on the stock exchange, futures markets etc and making large amounts of money in the process. If I'm prepared to store my money with them and enable them to do this, the least they can do is look after it properly.

If I'd bought something through an online site such as Play.com, some "master hacker" had broken through the site encryption, stolen my card details along with many others then stole money from my card, I wouldn't have expected the bank to stop this. I'd still have expected them to refund the money, but I'd have accepted that the theft wasn't their fault.

This case is their fault though IMO. A cheque with a signature completely different to mine should never have been cashed and it's a failure of their security system. Otherwise, what's to stop someone stealing one of your cheques, signing it as "Mickey Mouse" and taking your money?

One monthly mortgage repayment (less than £600) isn't excessive IMO. In fact it's a drop in the ocean to these people who only exist because we choose to place our money in their care.

Feedback is always good for a business to receive.

It's nice when companies offer you things so that they don't get bad press, but they don't have to.

If you really don't get what you want out of a company you can always use someone else can't you? Vote with your feet?

Never any point in phoning up and ranting, because - as dramadiva so hilariously points out - you are unlikely to be speaking to the correct person. A well written and reasonable letter will do the job, if you get something free, excellent, if not tough luck. :D

I disagree. This isn't some corner shop who has to think carefully about every new piece of equipment they buy. It's one of the biggest banks in the world with millions of customers worldwide and a turnover of billions.

Banks exist by gambling our money on the stock exchange, futures markets etc and making large amounts of money in the process. If I'm prepared to store my money with them and enable them to do this, the least they can do is look after it properly.

If I'd bought something through an online site such as Play.com, some "master hacker" had broken through the site encryption, stolen my card details along with many others then stole money from my card, I wouldn't have expected the bank to stop this. I'd still have expected them to refund the money, but I'd have accepted that the theft wasn't their fault.

This case is their fault though IMO. A cheque with a signature completely different to mine should never have been cashed and it's a failure of their security system. Otherwise, what's to stop someone stealing one of your cheques, signing it as "Mickey Mouse" and taking your money?

One monthly mortgage repayment (less than £600) isn't excessive IMO. In fact it's a drop in the ocean to these people who only exist because we choose to place our money in their care.

Okay, setting aside the point about how much a bank makes and how they run their business. Since you're not a stakeholder and have shares with them. What is your right?

Going back to your case. So you had two cheque frauds, and someone took money out of that account. Did you get the full amount back, with reimbursement from the bank and any occurred charges or whatever from other companies which hang on any direct debits etc?

[Added] I just read your post again from above. So your money has been refunded. What is the problem?

To me, it's clear, and how ever much people rant and rave about things. Business is business, and even businesses follow legal rules:

- Bank makes money by reinvestments on markets, that's their business method. What rights do individuals have with regards to this unless they are either

1) shareholders or

2) management?

- Bank fraud, and systems in place to eliminate frauds. Surely this takes time to implement, and it takes time for technologies to reach a certain foolproof stage before this is implemented? Even chip and PIN have taken a long time to be introduced into the UK. It's been used in countries like Switzerland for a long time. Swiss accounts have higher security methods. It takes money and resources for any blue chip to rollout to ALL countries.

- Customer services is for people to get the answer that they are looking for. Not for them to get free things as much as they can just because someone made a mistake. It's not a charity. It's a business.

- When we give money to a bank, I'm sure we needed to sign some form of documents and legal forms, which nobody reads or take time to read. Well, that is contractual. I don't think there will be anything in small prints which says "you will be reimbursed your money AND MORE".

Saying all the above Daley, I think that you have every right to be mad, cross or angry. However, even if I was the bank, I wouldn't give you free money. I cannot see that happening. Even if you write to entities like Watchdog, I doubt that they will endorse such demands.

If I was the manager, I probably sack the clerk who didn't check the cheque first before banking it. Or the fact that it was cashed with no other card as evidence at the time. I don't know which bank this is...and but I myself bank with HSBC, and I would've thought that most banking situation will need my switch card along with my cheque.

Someone told me that, they needed to give their NI number now to get money directly from the bank. So there you go, systems are being improved all of the time. I should've asked which bank they were on about.

lol but why would you queue for half an hour for a drink ?! surely you would go and get one from burger king or the other places? not having a go lol idid you think if u waited long enough you could use it to your advantage? cause thats what i would have done :cool:

no the lane lights. as in you light you rlight when you ar eplaying, and we kept going to the bar and there as no one there or any staff around

sorry this seemed a bit abrupt. i was in a rush. we were mid game and had paid for 2 games, there was nobody on bar, or serving lanes, and no staff available at desk. sowe couldnt really leave to get a drink from elsewhere. also you arent allowed to bring other places food in. no not to our advantage, i would never complain just for the sake of complaining!

Oh get a life! Stop making other people's life such a misery over such pointless little things. The people you complain to probably have a hard enough time in their job without petty compensation grabbers seeing what they can get by shouting and moaning.

I agree really. But it really depends on how much money is involved of course.

Oh get a life! Stop making other people's life such a misery over such pointless little things. The people you complain to probably have a hard enough time in their job without petty compensation grabbers seeing what they can get by shouting and moaning.

who said anything about shouting? you assumed that i did this. I am a manager myself and we alway got taught on courses that people complain for a reason. I welcome complaints with open arms, as do most companies as it helps them to see what they can do better, and after all we do pay their wages!

I agree that everyone is entitled to their opinion, however I would never tell someone to get a life, I'm not here to argue!

When I pay over £12.00 for bowling, and can't get something as simple as a drink, then I have a reason to write a complaint. I never complain just to complain!

When I pay £13.00+ for a film I miss at least 15 minutes of the film at key scenes, then I'm entitled to complain. If you buy a DVD and get black screens at regular intervals, you wouldn't take it back? I think the majority of people would.

I complained to the O2 store as we were quite blatantly ripped off as the item we were told was out of stock was clearly in stock and I was lied to.

These complaints have happened over a year. The title of my thread may have mislead you to the fact that I look to complain wherever I go. This isn't the case. I used that title simply to draw attention to it, to get people's opinions.

I believe that people working in such industries should give good customer services. If I moaned just for the sake of moaning, because someone doesnt smile, or say please or thankyou then I would complain every day.

I receive what I class as not up to standard service most days, but I don't make a comment, I only do this when I believe it is to the extreme!

Being a person who uses leisure facilities around 5/6 times a week- eating at work, restaurants, cinema bowling etc etc then I think I'm entitled to complain 4 times out of 260 visits in a year!

Another thing I was taught was that for every customer that complains, 10 more suffer the same experience, but are "BRITISH" and don't complain.

I hope this clarifies things for you. :)

Feedback is always good for a business to receive.

It's nice when companies offer you things so that they don't get bad press, but they don't have to.

If you really don't get what you want out of a company you can always use someone else can't you? Vote with your feet?

Never any point in phoning up and ranting, because - as dramadiva so hilariously points out - you are unlikely to be speaking to the correct person. A well written and reasonable letter will do the job, if you get something free, excellent, if not tough luck. :D

HEAR HEAR!!

The best complaint I ever made was Argos. I actually praised the meadowhall store because in comparison the Portsmouth store is awful.

Ordered a pair of 3.99 headphones and was basically ignored at the checkout point for 20 minutes. For 10 of those, there were no staff to be seen. I didn't cause a fuss and had to go to a meeting so left.

The thing I complained about was when I was told the next day after I came back to collect them that it was my responsibility to leave with the item and I probably wouldn't get them (3.99!) - I did, but the attitude of the staff was awful.

I wrote them a letter, primarily because it really annoyed me, didn't even think of compensation at that point and got a cheque for £30 in cash (and the headphones)

Travelodge - dirty room, took us 15 minutes to get another one because the staff were just chatting. Original was £26 and they gave us a voucher for a free stay in any of their hotels at any time without prebooking.

The latest one is Virgin Media who have messed me around so much that at this point, I've got more credits on my bill than services. Yesterday they credited £65, but its getting stupid. I'm trying to resolve a problem and every time I ring them, they say "OK, we'll give you a credit" before they apologise or expain why the problem has happened. Its keeping me happy but the problems keep happening :(

Thats over two years, and I think all of the complaints were justified :)

The best complaint I ever made was Argos. I actually praised the meadowhall store because in comparison the Portsmouth store is awful.

Ordered a pair of 3.99 headphones and was basically ignored at the checkout point for 20 minutes. For 10 of those, there were no staff to be seen. I didn't cause a fuss and had to go to a meeting so left.

The thing I complained about was when I was told the next day after I came back to collect them that it was my responsibility to leave with the item and I probably wouldn't get them (3.99!) - I did, but the attitude of the staff was awful.

I wrote them a letter, primarily because it really annoyed me, didn't even think of compensation at that point and got a cheque for £30 in cash (and the headphones)

Travelodge - dirty room, took us 15 minutes to get another one because the staff were just chatting. Original was £26 and they gave us a voucher for a free stay in any of their hotels at any time without prebooking.

The latest one is Virgin Media who have messed me around so much that at this point, I've got more credits on my bill than services. Yesterday they credited £65, but its getting stupid. I'm trying to resolve a problem and every time I ring them, they say "OK, we'll give you a credit" before they apologise or expain why the problem has happened. Its keeping me happy but the problems keep happening :(

Thats over two years, and I think all of the complaints were justified :)

absolutely! well done you! freebies arent a way of robbing them blind as some poeple think, but act the companies way of admitting their guilt and making it better!

who said anything about shouting? you assumed that i did this. I am a manager myself and we alway got taught on courses that people complain for a reason. I welcome complaints with open arms, as do most companies as it helps them to see what they can do better, and after all we do pay their wages!

I've been a manageress before too. I find your attitude kinda too much. That's putting it lightly. I welcome complaints, but it depends on the complainer, but judging from you, you seem to be on a mission to get as much out from the system as you can. That's deeply somewhat disturbing. I'm glad that I have not yet met somebody like that, though I have heard about horror stories. People don't even know where to draw the lines.

I agree that everyone is entitled to their opinion, however I would never tell someone to get a life, I'm not here to argue!

When I pay over £12.00 for bowling, and can't get something as simple as a drink, then I have a reason to write a complaint. I never complain just to complain!

Are you seriously sure? Cos judging from your first post, it certainly does not look that way. Also, since you are not the manager of that company, why should it be your role to make a complaint just so that the company looks into their customer services more? You're human, I'm human, but there does not seem to be any room for errors on your part. I feel sorry for your subordinates.

When I pay £13.00+ for a film I miss at least 15 minutes of the film at key scenes, then I'm entitled to complain. If you buy a DVD and get black screens at regular intervals, you wouldn't take it back? I think the majority of people would.

Yes, those circumstances warrants a complain, but the one about the drink is ludicrous. As is the O2 scenario. Cos they are not lying to you, when they have the right item in that actual store. It does not mean another store may not stock it. There is a difference... maybe their staff needs to be that bit smarter in dealing with customers, and know what their other stores do or don't stock etc. They should have something in place to inform their staff of concessions and all the rest. Clothes stores have a good stragetgies in such scenarios. If I was the customer service department, I will certainly not give you that much credit.

These complaints have happened over a year. The title of my thread may have mislead you to the fact that I look to complain wherever I go. This isn't the case. I used that title simply to draw attention to it, to get people's opinions.

I've probably made formal complaints no more than my one hand over the years. You've obviously stated that you're the king of complaints:

They have seen my wrath now, with a big letter to Head Office!

My OH goes mental, says I'm a moaner! I say as a consumer I'm entitled to good service and when I don't get it I have every right to complain!

Does anyone else feel the same?

What results have you got when complaining?

Need any help complaining? PM me, I'm the master lol

:rolleyes:

I believe that people working in such industries should give good customer services. If I moaned just for the sake of moaning, because someone doesnt smile, or say please or thankyou then I would complain every day. I receive what I class as not up to standard service most days, but I don't make a comment, I only do this when I believe it is to the extreme!

Good customer services? Yes, definitely. But that does not include being cheated too. If the examples that you have shown is extreme, then I hate to know what you class as not extreme.

Being a person who uses leisure facilities around 5/6 times a week- eating at work, restaurants, cinema bowling etc etc then I think I'm entitled to complain 4 times out of 260 visits in a year!

Another thing I was taught was that for every customer that complains, 10 more suffer the same experience, but are "BRITISH" and don't complain.

I hope this clarifies things for you. :)

So what? That's your lifestyle choice. It does NOT mean that you have a God's given right to complain to every person that serves you. My Gawd! I can't believe someone like you actually walks around and milk the system for what you can get. If you lived somewhere like HK, you will be taken to pieces and bashed to death. Customer Services is non-existence over there, but you are blatantly taking the mick. Which I feel is the other extreme.

It doesn't matter if things are clarified or not, but you are definitely a customer service department's nightmare. You're so blatant and outright in your customer service complaining that you forgotten to think tact in such scenarios. I'd hate to work for you.

M&S have always been praised for their good customer services. They have a good return policy, and that has indeed drawn more customer loyalties, which is fine. They also acted as an information point on what the customers can do, which is also good. i.e. give product information and tips and ideas.

However, some of the posts made here is the type that do not in my eyes warrant a reimbursement or refund. People seems to be milking the system more than they are trying to give feedback, or rant off.

I think it's fair to reimburse you or to do right what they did wrong. Apologise and be done with.

I know its a cliche to say that we British moans a lot, but this seriously takes the mick.

I definately think you're missing the point. I had a problem with Pizza Hut as well (forgot that one) because at one point we were ordering a lot of stuff and they never managed to get it all right.

I wrote to them to ask why they were having problems and if anything was being done to resolve the fact that their phone lines went unanswered most of the time. I got a call from the manager offering me a £30 voucher, but more importantly explaining they've had staff problems recently and it was only a short term problem but thanks for letting them know.

Its up to a company if they give out compensation or not, some do, some don't - in most cases where I complain (and theres no financial implications) I'm happy with just an apology - anything further than that is goodwill, which is an important tool for any company.

I'm probably going to complain to South West Trains soon - they keep trying to charge me a penalty fare because I get on at one station where the two ticket machines and ticket office are closed and don't have time in the 3 minutes between stations to get a ticket.

Apparently if the staff complain about the broken machines, it goes through a process which can take months to resolve - if a customer complains, it goes through their complaints process and should be resolved within 5-10 working days...

edited to add: I have also wrote in to praise companies quite a few times and recieved gestures for doing that. I wrote to ASDA a while back to say how much of a pleasure it was shopping with them instead of Tesco and recieved a £10 gift card :)