Firewalls

on wednesday my norton firewall expires im just wondering if anyone can recomend a firewall what works with norton anti virus

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

zonelabs is always good as its free.

but i like McAfee Guardian.

if your using norton firewall and norton anti virus, norton again?

ZoneAlarm would be my choice too... most of the pro features are in other utilities... and to be honest I've had nothing but headaches with the norton firewall...

I use the free version of Sygate firewall and Norton Anti-virus. They work together well.

I found Zone Alarm ok but it is a bit trigger happy. Also slowed my connection down, never found out why. I'm currently using AVG for anti-virus and XP with SP2s builting firewall. Plus the firewall in my router. I consider myself moderately safe but not 100%

thanks for the advice ........... ive just downloaded zone alarm its only a temp thing til i get norton 2004 the weird thing is i got norton av and norton firewall at the same time feb 2003 and for some reason the av expires the 22nd of december strange eh lol:P

As mentioned above, ZoneAlarm is the biz.

We have it running on the gatewway PC, with NAT on, and also on each client PC.

The gateway is also running AVG antivirus (mostly for integration with our LAN software).

Each client PC also runs Norton AV.

We have had no problems with regards to performance of the respective machines.

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Zone Alarm still have a number of security blunders?

Originally posted by J-Blaze

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Zone Alarm still have a number of security blunders?

I remember there was something about that... IIRC though you had to get a trojan past the firewall to actually exploit the issue didn't you?

No I think that was an older one Martin, there's one where sending crafted packets can stop the firewall from working.

Also I'm sure there was a number of Buffer Overflow susceptibilities within Zone Alarm.

Originally posted by J-Blaze

No I think that was an older one Martin, there's one where sending crafted packets can stop the firewall from working.

Also I'm sure there was a number of Buffer Overflow susceptibilities within Zone Alarm.

I'll try and check that out later today... if you come across any references to that can you let me know...

Cheers.