Derbyshire Lane, Meersbrook

On 26/03/2021 at 20:14, lizbiz said:

Hi, My great grandparents, Samuel and Abigail Brady ran the greengrocers shop  and coal merchant at 233 Derbyshire Lane about 1919. My Great Aunt, their daughter, Annie Worral ran the Drapers shop next door. Sorry no photos, I would like to see some too. Hope this helps.  

Hi lizbiz , There are a couple of photos on Picture Sheffield of the shops on Derbyshire Lane, here's one of them!

https://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=printdetails&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s36785

12 hours ago, Dreb48 said:

This would be much further up Derbyshire Lane than the area the OP was enquiring about.

These days that address is part of the new Coop store just above Mundella Place.

Maybe some others may have recollections of what was there previously 

I remember that building as a company called Eyre and Baxter, who were machine engravers. Before that I'm informed it was a social club.

9 hours ago, LLAN said:

Hi lizbiz , There are a couple of photos on Picture Sheffield of the shops on Derbyshire Lane, here's one of them!

https://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=printdetails&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s36785

Unfortunately there appear to be no photos on Picture Sheffield of the part of Derbyshire Lane that  lizbiz wants to know about . These pics are of the shops at the bottom end near Chesterfield Rd and though there are other photos  that are further up near Norton Lees , they’re all on the wrong side of the road 

Edited by Dreb48

Thanks to you both for info and the photos, these are at the bottom, looking for shops at top end near mountview methodists. Thanks again.

Edited by lizbiz

My mother's friend lived on the corner of Cliffefield Road and Derbyshire Lane, her parents lived there before, her father was a councillor.

She was Kathleen Hill the headteacher of a school in Attercliffe, lovely lady.

My early memories were of the shops opposite being fruiterers, a newsagents/sweet shop where we bought 3d lollies or half of one for 1 and a 1/2d, they split in two.

Regards,

Duffems

I remember the Co-Op on the corner of Cliffe Field Road & Derbyshire Lane , then Oldhams sweet shop; after that I'm a bit hazy about the order the shops were but I remember Swallows newsagents, Stevensons fishmongers, Watsons grocery, Middletons chip shop, Atkins chemists & finally Wrights beer-off on the corner.

At least that's how the shops were in the mid 1950s to the best of my recollection.

Edited by sovrappeso

I used to live on Derbyshire Lane having moved there from Heeley as a kid. I didn’t know there had been a co op on the corner of Cliffefield, I can remember Patnicks junkorama being on that junction. I had a paper round at the newsagent, £1.80 a week for delivering the Star. Wrights shop didn’t like accepting other shops returnable bottles so used to put a W in marker pen on any pop they sold. I bought a marker pen 😊

On 08/04/2021 at 14:50, lizbiz said:

Thanks to you both for info and the photos, these are at the bottom, looking for shops at top end near mountview methodists. Thanks again.

As lizbiz says , all the photos are of the bottom end of Derbyshire Lane and all the comments are about those shops

She’s specifically enquiring about a shop that was about half a mile further up the road near Mundella 

Edited by Dreb48

On 15/04/2006 at 16:22, Elephant said:

The shops I remember from the 50s, starting from Norton Lees Road:

On the corner. Wright's beeroff

A tripe shop

(just below a step or something)

Mrs Longstaffe bread shop, with a white Scottie dog

??Hardware shop

Howsham's greengrocer

??Mrs Millington (I think) Chip shop: she always gave the kiddies a few chips free while they were waiting

Mr Atkin, chemist

Mr Swallow, newsagent (starting to sound like Camberwick Green here!)

Mrs Watson, grocer

Wet fish shop, can't remember the name but he always drove a Morris Traveller

Drapers/wool shop

Sweet shop

(below the railings) Co-op

That's all I can remember. There seems to be a barber's somewhere in my mind, but that may have taken over from the tripe shop.

I used to go to Carfield School with the wet-fish shop owner's daughter, Norma Stevenson.  And he did indeed drive a green-coloured Morris Traveller.

I've just joined the forum so I'm catching up with people's memories!

Edited by intrigued
Wrong name originally inserted.