Derbyshire Lane, Meersbrook

I wonder if anyone can help me. I am searching for old pictures of the shops on the lower half of Derbyshire Lane.(The ones on the left, as you go uphill, and before the one way section. I have searched Sheffield archives to no avail, but I have found a pic of the opening of what was the Co-op, in 1916. This is the now empty Inter-Hatch building. Also, any history of what shops were in this parade would be much appreciated. Heres hoping...

I went to Derbyshire Lane School durint'war and the only shop I can remember near the bottom was a greengrocers on Chesterfield road. There was nothing on the left hand side only the school. There was a jennel along the school wall which lead to Meersbrook park. The only commercial building was the Joinery on the corner of the road opposite Clifton ? On the right there were a few houses,then a field,another group of houses then another field.No shops until you got past Clifton ? on the left.

Thank you for your response, Floridablade. I have owned the shop on Derbyshire Lane for 18 years now, but still cannot trace any old photo's of it. The shop itself is situated further up Derbyshire Lane than you thought, between Cliffefield Road and Norton Lees Road, just above what I believe would have been a Co-op when you knew it. Key News, as now is, may possibly have been a sweet shop in those days. Meersbrook Bank school is stilll alive and kicking, by the way.

In the sixties there was a chip shop ,greengrocers, sweet shop,pastry shop and others opposite cornershop was a butchers at one time , Arthur

Keysie, There were a few houses opposite the shops just past Cliffefield Rd.Then there was some waste ground which was used by said joinery to store bulks of wood,at the back was the Brick yard quarry which was on Chesterfield rd. My brother and two or three lads built a railway from lengths of wood and put an old trolley on it with railway type wheels,muggins jumped in and nearly went over the quarry,I jumped clear just in time. I painted a bungalow which stood at the corner of Norton lees and Derbyshire lane,I don't remember a shop around there then. A bomb dropped and killed an old couple around that area.

There was a family called Keys lived around Norton Lees and the Daughter,about 11 in 1940-1 was at Derbyshire lane School. The headmasters name was Pool.

A man named Pool,he was a fool,

He went to church on sunday;

He prayed to god to give him strength;

To cane the lads on monday.

• Haha 1

The shops I remember from the 50s, starting from Norton Lees Road:

On the corner. Wright's beeroff

A tripe shop

(just below a step or something)

Mrs Longstaffe bread shop, with a white Scottie dog

??Hardware shop

Howsham's greengrocer

??Mrs Millington (I think) Chip shop: she always gave the kiddies a few chips free while they were waiting

Mr Atkin, chemist

Mr Swallow, newsagent (starting to sound like Camberwick Green here!)

Mrs Watson, grocer

Wet fish shop, can't remember the name but he always drove a Morris Traveller

Drapers/wool shop

Sweet shop

(below the railings) Co-op

That's all I can remember. There seems to be a barber's somewhere in my mind, but that may have taken over from the tripe shop.

looked at the thread about derbyshire lane and saw the bit regarding meersbrook bank school. I went there between 1953 and 1961, it is so nice to here my old school is still open. The head teacher was, mr hazlewood and then mr darley. the form teacher was mr edwards. any memories your self.

thanks for a good thread.

Thank you for your response, Floridablade. I have owned the shop on Derbyshire Lane for 18 years now, but still cannot trace any old photo's of it. The shop itself is situated further up Derbyshire Lane than you thought, between Cliffefield Road and Norton Lees Road, just above what I believe would have been a Co-op when you knew it. Key News, as now is, may possibly have been a sweet shop in those days. Meersbrook Bank school is stilll alive and kicking, by the way.

My great-grandfather Thomas Frith kept a shop from 1910 for a few years on the corner of Norton Lees Road and Welby Place. His daughter Elena (Pam) Frith later kept a shop on Derbyshire Lane. I think this was a grocers.

Hi, My great grandparents, Samuel and Abigail Brady ran the greengrocers shop  and coal merchant at 233 Derbyshire Lane about 1919. My Great Aunt, their daughter, Annie Worral ran the Drapers shop next door. Sorry no photos, I would like to see some too. Hope this helps.  

There is a list of the shops taken from Kelly's Directory 1957 on Sheffield History Forum website. I remember a few of the shops but I have never found any Photos of them.

On 26/03/2021 at 20:14, lizbiz said:

Hi, My great grandparents, Samuel and Abigail Brady ran the greengrocers shop  and coal merchant at 233 Derbyshire Lane about 1919. My Great Aunt, their daughter, Annie Worral ran the Drapers shop next door. Sorry no photos, I would like to see some too. Hope this helps.  

This would be much further up Derbyshire Lane than the area the OP was enquiring about.

These days that address is part of the new Coop store just above Mundella Place.

Maybe some others may have recollections of what was there previously