WW1 Sheffield men

Thank you for that Daven.

I have John Thomas and Edwin Andrew on the data base (Dore War Memorial)

I can tell you that there is an image of a 'J.T. Taylor, Pte. of Dore, wounded' in the 22/5/17 edition of the Sheffield Independent, of which you can view and print a copy off at Sheffield's Local Studies Library.

Yes please to any images/info you have, i'll PM you my email addy.

regards

Dean.

Here are two .photos of Charles Cecil Betts' grave in Gouzeaucourt New British cemetery - see post #71.

Here are two .photos of Charles Cecil Betts' grave in Gouzeaucourt New British cemetery - see post #71.
One young man of the millions who died. Such a waste...

I am trying to find out more information about Private James Wood, Service number 13712, who died in World War 1 on 18/04/1915. He was in the 2nd Battalion of the Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry and his memorial is on the Menin Gate. He was the brother of my grandmother and the family lived in Loxley, where they worked at the Green Wheel House Steelworks. He is listed as missing. Any help would be much appreciated.

Hi, my great grandfather was killed in WW1, his name was James Timmins, he was killed 09/10/17 and his service number was 32250, he was 21 when he died leavings nan at the age of 18 months, my nan told how he came home after braking his leg and was told he didn't need to return once healed, he went back to fight for his country and was killed in action. When he did return he brought a cameo ring for my great grandmother which has now become a family hairloom. I visited Tyne cot memorial cemetery a few years ago to see his name etched in the wall, it's such a sad experience but you do feel a sense of pride too.. If you could find anymore info it would be gratefully received.

Hello, I have two ancestors who were involved in WW1.

My great uncle, Frank Walter Fletcher (Service No 30925), served with 7th Battalion KOYLI and was killed on 18/9/1917, aged 20. His battalion served in the 61st Infantry Brigade in the 20th (Light) Division. The 61st Infantry Brigade fought in the Battle of Langemarck 16 August, 1917. Unfortunately, I have not yet been able to find out where 7th Battalion KOYLI were between 18 Aug (when they came out of the line) and Sep 20th 1917 when they were involved in the Battle of the Menin Road Ridge. Frank's name is listed on the Tyne Cot Memorial. I had visited Tyne Cot several times without realising that he is commemorated there, so, when I went again last year with some friends and my eldest son, we were able to say prayers for him and for all the others who lost their lives in that horrendous carnage. At the time of Frank's death, the Fletcher family were living at 20 Court, 12 House, Hammond St., Sheffield. My grandparents were Walter and Elizabeth, their other children were: Ada Beatrice, Lucy Ann (my gran), Ernest, Alice and Eliza - any other descendants out there?.

My mum's father, Lance Corporal Lawrence Sanders (Service No 32010 - he was married to Lucy, see above), was invalided out of the York and Lancs on 27 November 1917. He had originally enlisted with the Territorial Force in 1913, probably the 4th Battalion York and Lancs (The Hallamshires). He later served with the 13th (Service) Battalion Y&L known as the "1st Barnsley Pals". At some stage, (again not yet been able to identify exactly when) he was gassed and suffered schrapnel wounds resulting in his discharge. He never worked again, because of the effects of the schrapnel in his body and head, and the damage done to his lungs by the gas (he later contracted TB). He died 10 May 1948 aged 52; I have a photo of him taken a couple of years before his death and he looks like a man of 75 -80. By trade he was a table blade grinder, as were his father and several of his brothers. One of his brothers, Albert, was the Sanders in the cutlery firm at Globe Works on Penistone Rd called Sanders and Bowers and another brother, Ernest, (late Bellhouse Rd and Hyde Park Flats) was one of the last of the Sheffield grinders. Lawrence was never able to work again after the First WW, and because the Army Pension wasn't sufficient to support a family, they went from being reasonably well-off to nearly destitute. My mum said they were always hungry, had only the clothes they stood up in, and she never had new clothes until a couple of years after she started work - she was the eldest child in the family, so her wage was needed to support the rest of the family. Her brother, my Uncle Ernest (killed WW2) passed the Scholarship and got a place at King Edward VII Grammar School, but was not able to take it up, because the family could not afford the uniform etc.

I'm now 64 and, in my opinion, these days we "don't know we're born". Poverty, as experienced by my parents' and grandparents' generations is, I'm glad to say, a thing of the past. We owe such a large debt those who fought in both WWs, so thank you for taking the trouble to document the WW1 story and compile this data bank.

My Nan`s first husband Stanley Bellamy, KIA in Flanders 1917

PRIVATE 14174 IN THE ARMY CYCLIST CORPS BURIED IN HOP STORE CEMETERY, YPRES, PLOT 1, ROW A, GRAVE 47

Chris 66 -

did James have a brother named Herbert?

There is an image of 'Jim' Wood, brother of Herbert, also killed, of the Loxley Weslyan Bible Class in the 4/6/15 edition of the Sheffield Independent newspaper, which you can view at Sheffield's Local Studies Library. Also a J. WOOD of the KOYLI on the Vickers Roll of Honour, now at Gate 1 Sheffield Forgemasters. And a J. WOOD on the Gleadless War Memorial.

susie 1 -

PM'd you.

There is a Frank W. Fletcher on the St Stephens Roll of Honour at Fawcett street.

tasha 78 1 -

There is an image of an S. BELLAMY, CYCLIST, KILLED, of 76 Helen road, Darnall, in the 23/6/17 edition of the Sheffield Independent newspaper. Also an S. BELLAMY, CYCLIST, 4th York & Lancs Rgt, on the Cammell Laird,Cyclops Works, Roll of Honour, this is now at Kelham Island.

My great uncle Harry Binney,7 th Battalion.E.Yorks Regiment is buried in Bagneaux British cemetry, France. Plot v1, Row D. Grave 31. The family story goes that he was a bit of a rogue. He was caught burgling and when he went to court, he was given the option of prison or enlist . He did the latter and not long before the War ended he was shot by a sniper and killed on the30th August 1918 aged 28 years. Every time I pass what was Edmund Road Drill Hall,I think of all the men who went through the gates to either enlist or to train and how sad that they never saw their homes again, or in Harry's case anybody elses home.

I was wondering why this man was commemorated in Walkley when his connections seem to be with Brightside and Attercliffe. I have now discovered that his mother, who was already a widow when he served for a few months in the Y & L in 1908, later re-married, to an Edwin KNUTTON, and they moved to Walkley. Edwin and Annie Elizabeth KNUTTON are buried in grave E130 in Walkley Cemetery (I don't think there is a gravestone).

Hugh

Ellis Ibbertson born November 1888 was the son of Fred Ibbertson (born Wakefield) and Annie Elizabeth Addy (born Sheffield). They lived at Lake Street, Brightside in 1901. Fred died in 1902 and Annie married Edward Knutton. Ellis was living with his mother in 1908 at 46 Melton Street when he originally went into the Army (Yorks and Lancs) joining up for 4 years, but only stayed for 135 days before being discharged as 'not suitable'.

On another note can anyone tell me what the 1st KOYLS regiment was? I have another Sheffield ancestor who is listed in this regiment on the 1911 census (China and Hong Kong)?

Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry knows as the KOYLIS

... can anyone tell me what the 1st KOYLS regiment was?..
Could this be 1st KOYLI? This would be the 1st Battalion, King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry - see here.

Edited by hillsbro