WW1 Sheffield men

God! it makes me well-up, to think of these young men.

These lads were contemporary with my grandpa, they lived in the same area as my grandpa, he probably worked side by side with them, schooled side by side with them, fought side by side with them...

Only difference is, he came back, (albeit "minus" some of his knee!) and bless em' they didn't! God-rest them

I have just read Lyn McDonald's book '1915-The Death of Innocence' which contains photographs and eyewitness accounts of the slaughter & maiming of those brave lads.

I do believe most of them were innocent souls who really didn't know what they were getting into when they joined up.

The one thing that struck me when I read the book is how sudden soldiers were killed, one minute there were hundreds if not thousands and half an hour later most of them were dead or wounded.

The book is an excellent read and I can recommend it if anyone wants to get a feel for those brave lads.

It's no wonder they were all given medals, they ought to have been as big as dustbin lids .

My father had four army numbers during his service and so I enquired why his numbers were changed.

It seems everytime he was taken out of action due to wounds, gassing etc. he couldn't return to his own unit as there was too few of them left so he was issued a new number to join another unit.

Not Very Happy Days!

Hi all,

Marie, thank's and i have PM'ed you.

David, again thank's also to you for posting Pte Lilburn's detail's. also i would appreciate copie's of the Vis-en-Artois memorial.

Pop, hello, hope your well. not read the book myself yet but have heard and read review's of it, next on the list of reading material i think.

Plain Talker , Ditto.

regard's all

Dean

'Lo Dean!

Two for your list of 1st WW casualties.............

23992 Pte. Ernest Walter Harris (aka "Jack")

C Coy. 10 Bn. Lancashire Fusiliers.

Executed 3 Feb 1917 aged 20. Buried plot Z11 Carnoy Cemetery, France.

Parents Edward & Lavinia Harris of 90 Nether Edge Road.

After two previous charges of abscence, one of which resulted in him being sentenced to death, Harris could not expect leniency after a third offence. He was one of only two soldiers from Sheffield who were executed.

37734 Pte. Alfred Mills.

10 Bn. KOYLI, 64 Bde. 24 Div.

Died 19 Dec 1916 in the Hohenzollern area. Buried plot VF30 Vermelles Cemetery Flanders.

Parents Joseph & Emma Mills of 12 Armley Road, Attercliffe Common. His name is added to their gravestone at plot 72 MB in Tinsley Park Cemetery.

Alfred Mills was one of only two deaths recorded that day in the regimental war diary. Unless he died from previous wounds, it is likely he was killed by a sniper or by artillery fire.

Hi Cartav, thank's for your imput.

afraid i already have these men in my data bank.

i also took a photograph of Alfred's Mill's family grave about a month ago, pretty much all broken up im sorry to say.

Re executed Sheffield men,

i have info on 6 Sheffield men executed in the Great War.

5 of them born in Sheffield.

Ernest Walter Harris being born in Selly Oak.

the other 5 are,

Pte Jame's Haddock

Pte Henry Hughe's

Pte Walter Dossett

Pte George Ainley

Pte Frank Bateman

again many thank's

regard's

Dean

Hi all,

Marie, thank's and i have PM'ed you.

David, again thank's also to you for posting Pte Lilburn's detail's. also i would appreciate copie's of the Vis-en-Artois memorial.

Pop, hello, hope your well. not read the book myself yet but have heard and read review's of it, next on the list of reading material i think.

Plain Talker , Ditto.

regard's all

Dean

Dean - how do I get the photos to you - they are of course digital

not 100% on topic, but I've just been watching the national news.

One of the stories featured on the buletin was that, 90 odd years on from Paschendaele, scientists have managed to identify, through DNA, two Australian soldiers' remains.

They've managed to reunite the remains with their families, and ensure a proper burial for them.

Sad, but heartwarming at the same time. RIP.

This is information of my husbands greatgrandfather taken from the war graves commission site -WINTER

Initials: Tom

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: York and Lancaster Regiment

Unit Text: 1st/4th Bn.

Date of Death: 05/08/1915

Service No: 2121

Additional information: Son of John and Mary Winter, of Neville St., Sheffield; husband of Florence G. Winter, of 97, Neville St., Pittsmoor, Sheffield.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: II. E. 16.

Cemetery: TALANA FARM CEMETERY

Your husband's great grandfather would have been killed whilst the battalion was serving in the Ypres Salient. There was a high number of casualties as the trenches were open to sniper and artillery fire.

My grandfather also served with the 1st/4th "Hallamshire" Battalion, York and Lancaster Regt. He was wounded at Ypres in Oct 1915 and after recuperation sent back to work in Sheffield. He later died of 'Flu in the pandemic of 1918.

A complete account of the battalion's service throughout WW1 (1914-1919) was recorded by Capt. D. P. Grant M.C., M.A. in his book The 1st/4th (Hallamshire) Battalion, York & Lancaster Regt. 1914-1919. - it is printed by The Arden Press, Stamford St. London, S.E.1. a copy of which in in the Sheffield Archives on Shoreham St. There's probably a copy in the library too. The book has also been reprinted, I managed to get a copy a few years ago.

Hi Dean,

I have 2 WW1 casualties for your list:

Harold Norton

Walter Wildgoose

I'll not post the details until you get back to me if you haven't already got them on your list.

Regards,

Duffem

Hi Dean,

I have 2 WW1 casualties for your list:

Harold Norton

Walter Wildgoose

I'll not post the details until you get back to me if you haven't already got them on your list.

Regards,

Duffman

just come across this post, would that be the same Harold Norton who was in the Machine gun corps, he was 19 when he died of his wounds?

mick

Edited by mick851

Hi. Do you have Ellis Ibbertson? Born November 1888 in Sheffield. He was a Gunner (No. 27987) in the Royal Field Artillery in WWI. He died in France on 28 May 1917 aged 29 and is buried in grave B.14 Kemmel Chateau Miltary Cemetary. He was a mill hand at Jessops in Darnall in 1908.

just come across this post, would that be the same Harold Norton who was in the Machine gun corps, he was 19 when he died of his wounds?

mick

Yes, Harold Norton was my great uncle who died 14th.April 1918 aged 19, his number was 143004, 25th.Bn., Machine Gun Corps (Infantry).

He was the son of Frederick Arthur & Ada Norton of Artisan View. His memorial is in Lijssenthoek Military Cemetery.

Regards,

Duffems