Device to stop dog barking: will it bother cat?

I am so sick of next doors rotty barking all evening. He is out all day and doesnt bark much in the day unless someone comes to the door. But about 6-7pm he starts barking and this carries on until they let him in at bedtime. My two kids have the back bedrooms and sometimes it disturbs them, but occasionally it disturbs me if he is out late at night. I am sitting in the living room typing this, its at the front of the house, our telly is on and I can still hear him.

I know you can get an ultrasonic device to stop them barking, but I am bothered whether the frequency or tone that it emits will upset our cat, who is getting on in years.

Has anyone had any experience of these devices?

when the law changes ( isn't that this month? ) will the RSPCA be able to do anything about dogs left out all the time in people's back yards?

Sorry - I've no idea if cats and dogs have the same range of hearing :(

Have you thought about having a word with your neighbours and explaining how much of a disturbance their dog is creating?

I had to endure this noise disturbance once and it wasn't fun.

I am so sick of next doors rotty barking all evening. He is out all day and doesnt bark much in the day unless someone comes to the door. But about 6-7pm he starts barking and this carries on until they let him in at bedtime. My two kids have the back bedrooms and sometimes it disturbs them, but occasionally it disturbs me if he is out late at night. I am sitting in the living room typing this, its at the front of the house, our telly is on and I can still hear him.

I know you can get an ultrasonic device to stop them barking, but I am bothered whether the frequency or tone that it emits will upset our cat, who is getting on in years.

Has anyone had any experience of these devices?

Hi,

I know it may be hard but is there any chance that you can have a word with the owners of the dog? You say it is outside in the day and evening. Does it have plenty of shelter, warmth, water and food? I hope they walk and socialize it aswell. If it does bark all the time and you dont feel comfortable talking to its owners then you should report them. :)

If they were reasonable people I would spreak to them .... reporting anyone around here just leads to retaliation and Ive had enough of that.

We had one of them ultrasonic devices to stop our dog barking. When he was a pup, he would bark at anything, and the device seemed to do the trick.

Although we have a cat, i don't know whether it bothered him or not, as we had a bit of a falling out about the time we bought it, and we haven't really spoken since. It would be nice to make up, but too much water has passed under the bridge, and i really don't know how to break the ice.....:(

On average, cats can hear a greater range of frequencies than dogs (up to 45 KHz for dogs and 64 KHz for cats). As such, an ultrasonic dog repellent (usually about 25 KHz) will be easily detectable by your cat.

We had one of them ultrasonic devices to stop our dog barking. When he was a pup, he would bark at anything, and the device seemed to do the trick.

Although we have a cat, i don't know whether it bothered him or not, as we had a bit of a falling out about the time we bought it, and we haven't really spoken since. It would be nice to make up, but too much water has passed under the bridge, and i really don't know how to break the ice.....:(

Oh dear :(

have you tried contacting an animal behaviourist such as kim hunt?

On average, cats can hear a greater range of frequencies than dogs (up to 45 KHz for dogs and 64 KHz for cats). As such, an ultrasonic dog repellent (usually about 25 KHz) will be easily detectable by your cat.
That's as much info as I could find whilst googling, but didn't see anything which indicated whether it was actually as irritating to a cat as to a dog

That's as much info as I could find whilst googling, but didn't see anything which indicated whether it was actually as irritating to a cat as to a dog

Many ultrasonic repellents are marketed as being able to repel cats and dogs, and do so by using a fairly low frequency ultrasound, audible to both cats and dogs. Some cat-specific devices make use of a higher frequency ultrasound, outside the hearing range of most dogs.

They sell barking devices on Bid-up-tv, they say they are very effective.

We have 2 forms of the ultrasonic barking device. They didn't really work for us but then again we have a Staffy X and she has selective hearing :)

We have a big one that cost a small fortune that is plugged into the mains. You can have it on the ultrasonic frequency so we can't hear it, but another frequency that isn't as powerful but we can hear it. The one that we can hear seems to be most effective. You can also change the sensitivity of it so it will go off at the slightest fart or it would take a bomb drop to set it off.

The other one we have is a small hand held portable one - this one is more effective for us (don't know why as it's the same make I think). We don't even have to use this one for Lilly anymore because as soon as she sees it she knows what it's for. We do sometimes use it on one of our neighbours dogs though (can't even breathe outside our own front door without them yapping at us) and it seems to work. We have a cat that rarely shows his face but when he has been around they haven't really seemed to bother him.

Hope this helps!