Sheffield - city of townie bars

*YAWN* Not another Firecracker thread slagging off Sheffield. Move man for god's sake it's getting reallllllllllllllllllllllllllly boring now.

Can't see what's so great about all the bars you mentioned anyway in other cities. Usual mix of overpriced drinks and over egotistical customers.

Yes a lot of the bars around West St are very samey, but so what? It's a bar, it sells drinks - what more does it have to do??

I for one much prefer somewhere like the Devonshire Cat. Name me ANYWHERE in the cities you named above which carries that much of a beer range and does as nice food, in as nice an atmosphere?

*YAWN* Not another Firecracker thread slagging off Sheffield. Move man for god's sake it's getting reallllllllllllllllllllllllllly boring now.

He doesn't even live here, which makes it even more bizarre!

:suspect:

At the end of the day, you don't get in Sheffield anything that you don't already get in Barnsley - at least as far as bars are concerned.

I would contest that point. In Sheffield you get good manners and a pleasent evening. In Barnsley you get people with webbed feet, who can barely string a sentence together. :hihi:

The bars you mention in manc are all $hite. I'd rather sheffield didnt have those sort of bars. Maybe you should move to London instead?

Calling it townie is just inviting for abuse really. Sometimes I don't get people's perception, but I try to understand it.

Did you know that Nonnas used to be in the National Music Centre, and it has now moved to Ecclesall Rd? I would definitely say that the bar side of Nonnas is definitely a "bar", more wine and cocktails sold, and less beer and bottle drinks.

If you want classic bar where the barman does cocktails and advice on wines etc. Have you not tried somewhere like the bar in the new McDonald hotel?

I sometimes work behind a bar, and to be honest. The type of bars that you have in mind may not work in Sheffield, since people's tastes are not geared towards that at all. I can understand why places like Devonshire Cat works well in Sheffield, and I don't think the likes of Manchester has such places either. Not that I know of... I know I've been out of the scene from Manchester for a while too.

I think you just want names and labels. ;)

Well, since there will be a Conran building in this city, maybe there will be one or two type of bars which will be in the new developments. I've recently heard that, the redevelopment of the Cole Brothers area will finish its development by 2010-2012. So, if you can wait til then...!

yeh every city is different. The bars in Manchester and Leeds or somewhat different to that of Sheffield.

Manchester and Leeds seem to have a handful of alternative areas where you can go for a drink on a weekend, these areas are distinctly different. For example in Leeds - theres headningley - a good place for a drink in the day or an evening, but riddled with students. Then theres the call lane area, slightly s****ier bars, playing more dare I say it 'fashionable' music, then theres the centre area with your hard rocks and life bars, then theres the area round millenium squre, then youve even got chapel allerton for a change!

Sheffield has limited areas and therefore these different style bars are generally found in the same areas as the so called towny bars.

Why is it that Sheffield's bars are little different from Barnsley's. Typical of Sheffield seems to be one of 30 on West Street/Division Street, like Bungalows and Bears. Why can't it have bars like Grinch, the Living Room and Zinc Bar and Grill in Manchester, the Living Room, Restaurant Bar and Grill and Prohibition in Leeds, or The Living Room and Fashion Cafe in Nottingham? It seems that Sheffield is full of typical townie bars and not bars of the calibre found in nearby cities.

I presume by saying townie you mean someone who is resident of a university/college city? Or do you have some other skewed view as to what a townie is?

Tell me what group would you bracket yourself with. Obviously your uncomfortable in surroundings involving people of a warm friendly nature and you enjoy either standing in the corner trying to be an individual looking all moody in which case your a t**t or you like to be in places where men have scarfs in the summer and man-bags in which case your belong to the group of t**ts

This is only my opinion and no other

surely it doesnt really matter where u drink as long as your with mates and having a laugh

I presume by saying townie you mean someone who is resident of a university/college city? Or do you have some other skewed view as to what a townie is?

Tell me what group would you bracket yourself with. Obviously your uncomfortable in surroundings involving people of a warm friendly nature and you enjoy either standing in the corner trying to be an individual looking all moody in which case your a t**t or you like to be in places where men have scarfs in the summer and man-bags in which case your belong to the group of t**ts

This is only my opinion and no other

I can see you're not of a warm friendly nature. Obviously you're of the type who would be found in the Hen and Chickens and the Cannon before it was closed. No wonder Sheffield is 20 years behind Leeds economically and 50 years behind culturally if it is full of people like yourself. You are typical of what holds the city back. Cloth caps, clogs and whippets is the era you live in, and who wants to invest in a city where they're all like you? Your city is p*ss poor compared with Leeds. It is impoverished, way behind several places with a 150,000 population despite having a population of 500,000. Instead of hurling childish abuse because somebody dares to point out the fact that Sheffield is mediocre, it is time you started asking yourself why Sheffield isn't any better than what it is. At the end of the day, what does Sheffield have to offer an aspiring young person career-wise? Absolutely sod all? What does it have to offer anyone who happens to be over 30 years old? Sod all again. At the end of the day, when compared with Leeds, Sheffield is definately a failing city.

Calling it townie is just inviting for abuse really. Sometimes I don't get people's perception, but I try to understand it.

Did you know that Nonnas used to be in the National Music Centre, and it has now moved to Ecclesall Rd? I would definitely say that the bar side of Nonnas is definitely a "bar", more wine and cocktails sold, and less beer and bottle drinks.

If you want classic bar where the barman does cocktails and advice on wines etc. Have you not tried somewhere like the bar in the new McDonald hotel?

I sometimes work behind a bar, and to be honest. The type of bars that you have in mind may not work in Sheffield, since people's tastes are not geared towards that at all. I can understand why places like Devonshire Cat works well in Sheffield, and I don't think the likes of Manchester has such places either. Not that I know of... I know I've been out of the scene from Manchester for a while too.

I think you just want names and labels. ;)

Well, since there will be a Conran building in this city, maybe there will be one or two type of bars which will be in the new developments. I've recently heard that, the redevelopment of the Cole Brothers area will finish its development by 2010-2012. So, if you can wait til then...!

I dopubt it will even start before 2012. Given the fact that Embrace is replacing Kingdom, that means it will be at least five years before what was Cole Brothers will be demolished. So you're looking at a start date of at least 2012-13. Now if Leeds Harewood/Eastgate Quarters, plus the Trinity Quarter not only get redeveloped but finished before the former Cole Brothers gets demolished, then that leaves Sheffield further still behind Leeds.

I can see you're not of a warm friendly nature. Obviously you're of the type who would be found in the Hen and Chickens and the Cannon before it was closed. No wonder Sheffield is 20 years behind Leeds economically and 50 years behind culturally if it is full of people like yourself. You are typical of what holds the city back. Cloth caps, clogs and whippets is the era you live in, and who wants to invest in a city where they're all like you? Your city is p*ss poor compared with Leeds. It is impoverished, way behind several places with a 150,000 population despite having a population of 500,000. Instead of hurling childish abuse because somebody dares to point out the fact that Sheffield is mediocre, it is time you started asking yourself why Sheffield isn't any better than what it is. At the end of the day, what does Sheffield have to offer an aspiring young person career-wise? Absolutely sod all? What does it have to offer anyone who happens to be over 30 years old? Sod all again. At the end of the day, when compared with Leeds, Sheffield is definately a failing city.
Why such a vitriolic attack on sheffield? If you hate it so much why bother either coming to or living in the city?

I honestly don't understand your seemingly pathological hatred would you care to explain it?

I honestly don't understand your seemingly pathological hatred would you care to explain it?

I reckon his resentment comes from failing so many job interviews in Sheffield.

Or that simply Leeds just don't wan' him.

Maybe he could try Manchester instead, or even New York?

:hihi: