Maternity & baby/child clothes, baby equipment - where can I get them?

GL note:

This thread is where all your questions about maternity clothes, the best places to buy baby monitors, and answers to where to find baby shops around Sheffield can be found! Feel free to start a new thread if you can't find what you're after in here, but be aware that it'll move here eventually. Happy shopping!

BC

Can anyone recommend a good place to buy a babies cot for around £100, I've tried Argos but there is a 49 day wait for delivery.

Toys'R'Us have a baby section that do cheaper cots.

Also BabyCare shops - one in Sheffield, one in Rotherham and one in Chesterfield.

Having had dreadful customer service from Mothercare (hate them hate them hate them!) I went to BabyCare on Shalesmoor and have had nothing but wonderful service from them. Great range of stuff too - more than places like ToysRUs or Argos. I got most of my daughters stuff from there.

tried ebay? or even posting on here in teh wanted section? or do you specifically want a new cot? you can buy a cheap second hand one and buy a new mattress instead. our cot was a gift from some people down the road - they were about to skip it, but offered it to us on the offchance, so now we have a very nice cot (a brio one - you know, they make those train sets) that probably cost about £250 new, for the price of a bottle of wine and a new mattress - it'd only served one child before ours, it's almost pristine.

Toys R Us are amazing during their sales. We had our eye on a cot bed we liked, it started at £199.00, got reduced to £129 then in one of their big sales reduced again to £75. They only had one int he store but agreed to order us a second form Doncaster, it came 3 days later - so we got two brilliant cot beds for £150, £49 less then the original price.

Wait for a sale if you have time and use the vouchers from their catalogue for insultingly good savings.

The sense of second hand cots is good but there's research which suggests the MRSA bug could be responsisble for cot deaths in some cases and that the virus sits in used mattreses, used wicker of moses baskets and in the wood of used cots.

If you get a second hand cot, use bleach or water over 60 degrees or a steam cleaner to kill potential MRSA bugs.

It's not meant as a scare story - but surely worth doing anyway.

Is there a baby clothes shop in Hillsborough? (please!)

Ive also posted on the General Chat forum but there is probably more chance someone has visited such a shop on this forum.

Freya has her first nursery party on Thursday and Ive just realised that the tights I bought to go with her outfit are huge. I dont want her to go as Nora Batty, Ive tried Woolworths and the Co-op but they dont have her size or anything at all. We havent lived around here that long so I dont know where all the shops are yet, but Im sure someone on the forum can direct me. We are still all struggling with the virus so a trip to town or meadowhell isnt on the cards.

Thanks!

If I remember right, Peacocks sells baby clothes - its in the shopping arcade next to boots. I can't remember any others, other than woolies in hillsborough - maybe morrisons??

Peacocks don't sell childrens clothes anymore ( rather dissapointed about that), so the only shops for childrens clothes are wollies and a shop called the tram stop (i think thats what it is called) it's up past the co-op on the opposite side of the road.

Probably a bit late as it's Thursday today but there's also that designer place (is it called Babes in the Wood??) on Middlewood Road opposite the entrance to the walled gardens. They only sell babies and children's clothes. Never been in mind - it looks pricey!

I went to babes in the wood and they had some tights, only one pair in her size, which were pink, and in desperation I bought them. THEY WERE £8!!! My partner has never stopped going on about them, but Im still virus laden so couldnt cope with another shop!

Thanks everyone for your replies. Looks like there is a gap in the market in Hillsborough!

My goodness £8 for a pair of children's tights, that is a bit steep. I'd hate to buy any other clothes from there, I bet they cost a fortune.

I only used to live round the corner from that shop, I must have forgotton it on purpose!