Laminate flooring MEGATHREAD

pay someone to do it is best advice. flooring isnt cheap and when you bodge it or mess it up you'll have paid twice as much plus someone to fit it???

can somebody tell me how many packs of laminate flooring i need????? pleaaase??? i have 2 rooms.

room 1. 3.4m x 4.3m

room 2. 4.7m x 1.1m

the laminate covers 2.46m squared.

how mwny packs will i need ???????

thanx

y have u tried it?? it cannot be that hard pal

Wait until you get to the edges...

Have you considered what you're going to do when you reach the skirting boards - ie have new ones fitted or have that awful quadrant beading fitted?

I'd pay someone - and get it all done in a day.

Otherwise there's lots of help online and U tube.

Edited by 123456A

9 boxes no mistakes

10 boxes bit left over for mistakes

In my opinion 9 packs is fine. They normally tell you to add 10% on for waste and 9 packs gives you that. It all depends on how confident and capable you are with it though.

I'd also recommend taking up the old laminate, cutting the door jambs out(This is the right way to do it. I hate seeing it just cut round door frames and silliconed up) and make sure you leave the right amount of expansion around the floor. Run the flooring the longest direction of the room, if it's a pretty square room then run it the way the light comes in.

As for splitting it at the door. It would depend on if it will look okay ie if it's all running in the longest direction. Take a look on the fitting instructions that will be in the pack. It will tell you a recommended area that you can do until you really should split the floor up. They usually have little diagrams on for you to follow and will show you how to fit it plus cut round any radiator pipes and such.

Take your time and don't be to rough when trying to click the laminate together. The corners of the boards tend to chip easy and if they are forced in wrong they will leave a slight lip.

Hope this helps.

Edited by R.B Flooring
it said radiator pies not pipes lol

i measred 10 boxes but i just wanted to be safe in been 100percent. the first tym i measured 28 boxes haaaa. thanks this is helpful. i was going to use beading round the skirts. but myt consider new skirting. cheers

i know to do it towards the light and to the longest part of the room 2 :)

just out of interest, if its done how did you go on? hope you sorted without any problems?

I fitted laminate in my kitchen...which is L shaped.......about 8-9 years ago,and did it as RB Flooring says,i cut out the bottom of the door jambs with a tenon saw....there are 5 doors in kitchen......I started in the middle of the floor on longest bit making sure i had a straight line with a 90 degree angle from the wall and worked to the outsides from the middle,it's quite easy at first and clicking them together gives you an idea how it is going to look.The hard bits come when the outsides are reached,this is where the laminate needs cutting, and, getting it under the door jambs.I bought a new jigsaw/blades and a fitting kit when i did mine and it has stood up to everything thrown at it pretty well.Would i do it myself again....depends on how much fitting would cost,at the moment i am looking to replace the old laminate with the type that looks like floor tiles.....also looking to replace worktops with new ones...anyone on here recommended ????