Laminate flooring MEGATHREAD

White foam underlay would do the job, it comes on a roll and would be cheaper than the product you have put the link to, Arnold Laver sell the rolls, its about 3mm thick.

Are you laying onto wood or concrete flooring?

I laid some foam with a polythene barrier onto our concrete floor, it was that good when the professionals replaced our laminate they left it in place as it was superior to the cheap 3mm foam stuff they turned up with.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Products/Flooring/Flooring-Tools+Accessories/Underlay/c/1000904

Use some offcuts of the laminate to use as spacers around the walls and also as a guide for chopping out the architrave(as already mentioned)

Great thank you... Laying onto floor boards so wood.

Quick question. May sounds stupid but do you just lay the rolls of under lay or need to glue down etc?

Also why doesn't the floor move due to the expansion gap"

Great thank you... Laying onto floor boards so wood.

Quick question. May sounds stupid but do you just lay the rolls of under lay or need to glue down etc?

Also why doesn't the floor move due to the expansion gap"

You don't normally need to glue down the underlay, just roll it out ensuring no wrinkles.

Movement - the laminate floor is 'floating' ie not nailed or glued down, but it is heavy enough not to move around once in place. The expansion gap allows it to expand and contract (with changes in heat, etc., in the room) - although it is important to have an expansion gap all round, this minimal 'movement' is not usually noticeable. Make sure you have the gaps round architraves as well - you can bet your life that if you don't, that'll be the place where the floor rises up to meet you...

I do agree that putting the skirting boards on after the floor is laid is preferable. The cork is a bit messy and the beading/trim you can get for laminate floors is expensive and a nightmare to get a neat finish with. PLus, much of it seems to be made of HDF so it swells up when wet. I think I hate laminate trim even more than I hate the Tory party, and that is saying something.

Thank you - will let you know how it all goes! (Not doing till after kitchen fitted on 15th!

Lay the floor, leave a 10mm expansion gap then fit the skirting on top, forget about the cork strips :)

no brainer totally agree

Unless you are realy hard up go to Balfour Carpets and get Cushion floor and let them fit . No need for expasnion joints and underlay. They did mine must be 6 or 7 years ago and still like new./ Ask for bob he will come out measure up and give proffetional advice ./ Every one to his own fitting is not the expensive part of doing a floor but must be done right. :love:

Can anyone recommend a wooden floor company that is reliable and reasonably priced? I used one before and I think it was at the bottom of Prince of Wales Road somewhere but can't remember the name.

We live in Nether Edge and used Eric Gilbert Carpets for a laminate floor recently (they do wooden floors too) and they were amazing. The customer service was fantastic, they let us take samples home to see how they looked in the room, they did a test for damp first as I was concerned about that, and the fitters did a great job very quickly and left the place immaculate.

Their address is 672 Abbeydale Rd.

Can anyone recommend a wooden floor company that is reliable and reasonably priced? I used one before and I think it was at the bottom of Prince of Wales Road somewhere but can't remember the name.

If you are thinking of the wood floor centre in Darnall it has closed down.

Another vote for Eric Gilbert, a superb family business. Used them for about 20 years, never been any problems.