Laminate flooring MEGATHREAD

Jim, I know the thing you mean, I have seen them in Focus. Did you take your carpet over the top stair and onto the landing? My landing is L shaped with the stairs running parallel to the leg of the L.

Looks like Strix's "nosing" might be the easiest if I can get hold of it and either way, it looks like I can avoid replacing the stair carpet.

Yippee, looks like an end to hoovering up white cat fur and mopping up regurgitated cat biscuits! :gag:

Oh hell, I have just read the installation notes on that Mohawk stuff, which I assume is similar regardless which brand you use. Is this something I can do myself or should I be finding a joiner person? And what on earth is scribing a plank to the wall?

Listen, parcher, as far as DIY is concerned, it stands for Destroy It Yourself I CANNOT fit a curtain pole. However, I can lay laminate, thats how easy it is!

Parcher

We kept the carpet running from the stairs along the hallway upto each door frame and then put door plates in as required. If its carpet to carpet you just need a flat door plate, but for anything else ie; carpet to laminate or carpet to tile, then a h shape door plate is probably the best solution.

Do you have access to Look Local free paper, its North Sheff based. There are ad's in there for Laminate floor layers.

If you are stuck let me know and Ill try and source a number for you.

Cheers

Jim:thumbsup:

scribing just means cutting it to fit flush too I think.

I've been contemplating what to do with mine too.

After I read this thread, I checked my stairs, and I have to say... you gotta consider this point too.

Are your floorboards in good conditions ? Is that particular end piece on the top of the stairs sturdy and strong enough for you to use that grip thing, so u can have laminate on the top landing ? Mine feels a tad wobbly, and even if I use that grip thing as mentioned, am not sure if it will hold the whole of the stair's carpets on that top rung.

...am not sure if it will hold the whole of the stair's carpets on that top rung.
:confused: Isn't your carpet gripperodded all the way down? :confused:

If it isn't, how does it stay stair shaped, and not slither out flat into a slide? :confused:

I am never going to know what my floorboards are like until I get the carpet up, however they don't feel creaky so I think I am alright there. All the lumps I can feel through the carpet are, I think, disintegrated rubber underlay. Its just been that top landing that has been bothering me. My german relatives have open staircases (as do a lot of German houses) so they have been no help at all. Shame I am not lucky enough to have a nice rectangular hall though. My sitting room and dining room doors go into a sort of V.

Many of you seem to have laminate, i have too and i just wondered, how often do you hhover? Me? Every bloody day. The laminate is a constant poke in my back to hoover, its a pain in the backside.

Oh dear, and there was me thinking it would make life a bit easier!

does anyone know where i can get cheap laminate flooring from in sheffield