Laminate flooring MEGATHREAD

Thanks for the help people. Much appreciated.

Good quality laminated oak flooring next to Princess Royal at Woodhouse Mill. In place that sells stone.

Try the WWF shop on Penistone Road (nothing to do with wrestling or wildlife preservation, just has the initials WWF), apparently they sell relatively cheap flooring.

It's about halfway up Penistone Road going from the Hillsborough end, not far from the B&Q.

When you find the flooring you're after, make a note of the name and buy it off t'internet. I've priced some up and stand to save £900

I'm planning to have a new wooden floor in my conservatory shortly, i'm considering having a real wood floor laid instead of a laminated one, ... can anyone explain to me the main differences between laminate and real wood ... what would I be gaining by paying the extra money on a proper wooden floor.

Also does anyone have a heated wooden floor and if so can you explain how it all works and what cost it is to run.

Finally, can you suggest the best shop or store to buy it all, oh, and a good fitter as well.

TRy previous mention at Woodhouse not your thin crap about half inch thick

Hi people,

My boyfriend has given me the task of arranging to have laminate flooring put down in my dining room. Does anyone whos had this done know of any good places?

I would prefer somewhere that will fit it for me aswell as not too gifted in that area!

Many Thanks x

First of all, I'd like to say that B&Q are one of the best quality floor retailers there is! Much, MUCH better than the small laminate floor retailers spotted around Sheffield.

Secondly, (this may sound obvious but still) the more you pay, the better it will fit together and last. You also need a decent quality 'underlay' which is also available from B&Q.

If you are fitting laminate in the kitchen , bathroom or utility room, I would seriously advise the 'AquaLoc' range in B&Q as this flooring is totally water proof and will not lift or bubble when water is spilt on it.

The cheaper shops sell laminate flooring that looks good but a large percentage isn't perfectly 'square' which can create problems in larger rooms such as the living room, bedrooms etc. and also can be more flimsy which will cause the locking mech to split after time (eventually will cause gaps).

As for fitting it, the more expensive (£25+ per pack) flooring is easy and you really can't go wrong as long as you have the correct tools to cut the flooring to length when upto the skirting boards etc. but if you need someone to fit it for you, I can give you the number of an excellent joiner I use if you PM me although I don't know how long it will be before he can fit you in.

If you do decide to go to B&Q for your flooring, try and get a pensioner to go with you on a Tuesday as they get 10% discount :thumbsup: (I think its Tuesday anyway)!

Good luck xx

bought mine from B&Q at £3.98 per metres cheapest i could find at the time.

gone down quite well.

PM fnkysknky on here for fitting (I believe), or ring the number given in the signature at the bottom of their posts :thumbsup:

Originally posted by Buffs

Hi people,

My boyfriend has given me the task of arranging to have laminate flooring put down in my dining room. Does anyone whos had this done know of any good places?

I would prefer somewhere that will fit it for me aswell as not too gifted in that area!

Many Thanks x

i bought the heavy duty stuff from B & Q (coz of the dogs) very good stuff it is too,one of the lads that works for me does fitting at the weekends,he did mine and did a fantastic job.pm me if you want his number.

I bought and fitted 'Beech' effect laminate flooring form Focus. Half the price as B&Q - fitted in a day and in my experience it's very good quality.