Shenstone Road, Hillsborough

Hi. I am Ronnie Staniforth Jnrs daughter Lindsey. Sadly, my Dad died in 2002. He was a smoker but had given up when he was 50. He was a lovely guy and is sorely missed. If any of you have any stories about my Dad, I would love to hear them. Apart from his wife and children, he had no close family in the UK who he was in contact with.

Edited by lindsey39

PS Just to say Dad was 56 when he died. He was actually born in Manchester. In terms of family, he left 3 children and his wife. Died in 2002. My Grandad, Ron Staniforth, died when he was 63, also at Barrow, in 1989.

Edited by lindsey39
corrections

I knew Pat and Hazel Ransome,Ann Robinson,and Pat Fox,and I bet every lad in the area had their hair cut by Eric or Mr Bayliss.

Have just read this and realise it was started by a good friend of ours, Pete Swann. Sad to tell those of you who knew Pete and hadn't heard, Pete died a couple of years ago, I think it was cancer of the oesophagus.

Have just read this and realise it was started by a good friend of ours, Pete Swann. Sad to tell those of you who knew Pete and hadn't heard, Pete died a couple of years ago, I think it was cancer of the oesophagus.

Had he a brother called John who was also in the R.N. ?

Had he a brother called John who was also in the R.N. ?

His brother was called Bob, a smashing lad, we went out together in the summer of 69 lol. Guessing he's about 58 ish.

Sorry to hear about Pete.

I grew up on Shenstone Road. Born in 64 and left there when I was eleven. We are all in Canada now Jonathan (me), Michelle and Terry Dixon.

I was just telling someone last weekend about parking cars in the top of the street when there was a match on. Used to block it all up.

Hello folks .I know this is answering an old post, I'm Martin Phelan and I just wanted you to know that Pete Swan organised a reunion of all his old school pals from Hillsboro' the year before he died .We all met in the Shakey in Hillsboro'. Pete knew he was dying and was determined to see his old mates again before he shuffled off. He was very happy that night drinking once more with his old buddies, two of them Royal Navy veterans like himself.

P.S

Played in the same Hillsboro' football team as Ron Staniforth Jnr lovely bloke.

Jossman

Brian is alive and well, living in Ranmoor.

Recently retired from his job at the University and enjoying his retirement.

He is married with three grown up kids who are all in professional jobs and doing well. (Sadly, away from Sheffield.)

Did you know any lads or lasses from Fielding Road?

Happy Days!

Brian is my grandma's sisters Agnes's son married to Rosemary.

small world.

In the early 50's up to 1960 there was a core of lads & lasses living on the road who played and ganged up together. We were a close knit group and shared many happy hours together especially "down the bank" by the River Don, an ideal place to enjoy mischief. Jimmy Sellars, Kevin Meehan, John Cheswick, Ronnie Staniforth (son of the footballer), John Preddy, Garry Bostock, Elaine Trotter, Pauline Case and Phyllis Bullas. Wherever you are, thanks for the memories.

Sadly Ronnie died back up in Barrow in Furness, his birthplace, at a very young age. His sister Lynne is now in OZ.

Hi jossman, I was born on Shenstone rd 1942. Kevin Meehan was my best mate up to about 17yrs of age been trying to trace him for last few yrs no luck. I new most of the people mentioned here, also Alan Whitham,Alan Cheswick and peter Hayward, in the next street through the jennel (Eskdale rd) Christine Charles.I seem to remember the Phelans on Fielding rd.Also Kieth Thurman was a mate on Vere rd.this is really taxing the old grey matter. time for Sangria,By the way ime David Tingle (tiny)ADIOS

I also grew up on Shenstone Rd....sister of Ron Staniforth. Very happy memories of the Swanns, Meehans, Cases, Cheswicks etc. My Mum, Dad and brother all died in Barrow in Furness , Dad moved us there to take up the Player Manager position at Barrow AFC. We moved back to Sheffield, Dudley Road in fact, when Dad was appointed Coach for the Owls.