Problems with updating programs?

I have PM you LL200 but i could only include 1500 characters so i had to delete the first couple of lines!.

I also tried typing telnet ww.google.co.uk 80, My firewall popped up so i allowed access, then nothing. I just got a flashing 'blip' in the corner.

I have also noticed that Windows media player and Real player are not letting me stream video or audio clips.

I have phoned BT about the firewall but they say it is'nt activated and the problem lies within xp and xp-pro?

The ipconfig information you PMd me with all seems fine.

I dont think your router has a firewall built in (except NAT, which some people call a firewall but isn't really, it should be switched on and wouldn't cause the problems you are seeing).

I would try disabling Sygate firewall first and see if that helps. If not, enable it again and disable Windows XP firewall (if that's on).

I've still got a few more ideas if this doesn't help... :)

Another thing to try. Lets do the telnet thing but this time do the following:

type:

telnet http://www.bt.com 80

you should then see just a flashing cursor. Type 'get' (no quotes) then press enter (once or twice). You may not actually see what you are typing but do it anyway.

Then, hopefully, you'll see some text, something like Bad Request or similar. Post that here.

This is what it came back with!

<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Bad request</TITLE></HEAD>

<BODY><H1>Bad request</H1>

Your brow

ser sent a query this server could not understand.

</BODY></HTML>

C:\>ection to host lost.

The results from telnet says that there is nothing wrong with your connection or router. Something somewhere is blocking access to certain programs (or, to be more exact, something is permitting access only to certain programs).

So try disabling your firewall(s) next.

OK, I've cancelled all security in msconfig and services, re-booted and tried again, no luck!. So in desperation i went into task manager and disabled any process i did'nt need, still no luck!.

I'm going to try a selective start up in msconfig but i do'nt fancy my chances.

I do'nt think i've said thanks for the help yet LL200 so, THANKS for all the effort. You've been more help than my usual pc forum!

Just a small note.. the small charge thing is because I work with computers, and I do have to cover my costs... If I didn't I'd be a lot poorer very quickly..

In terms of the problem... it's sounding a lot like your router is blocking a lot of traffic for some reason...

You'd probably find it worthwhile to find as much info out about your router as possible and see if there's any possible configuration changes you can make via a web interface or something similar..

Oh and also, you may well find that you've got a another software firewall somewhere on the system (like windows own one) that could be causing problems...

Next up from that again is virus behaviour but admittedly it is sounding like firewall / router configuration issues from all the above..

Best of luck...

I have been on to BT (50p a min' robbing t**ts). We have gone through all the settings etc and they say that it is a software problem in windows xp. They also say that if i install sp2, the problems will go away.

I find this strange considering, everything was working right until around the time i installed my router!.

Plus what did people do before sp2?. Anyway, they say the built in firewall is'nt switched on.

I've checked windows firewall and it's not swiched on.

I have done a selective startup but found it impossible to check correctly, due to windows refusing to install the AOL files.

It is getting to the stage where a clean install is required, that way no one will be able to blame xp!.

I still think it is related to your router. Whilst it may not show any reference to a firewall in the paperwork some of them work so that they provide a form of firewall - mine certainly does anyway.

(LL200 - I know this isn't a real firewall but it puts up a blank barrier so it acts in a similar way).

Go to your configuration page for your router and look for a trusted sites page or some way that you can input urls on mine I think it's the initial page - I'm going from memory and as I set this up last November that is alittle foggy. However type in the url of one of the sites you can't get onto save and then try again see if that helps. As I said I couldn't get onto the tesco site when I first got mine.

The only other way I would suggest to try testing this would be to try plugging your broadband modem directly into the network card on your pc thereby bypassing your wireless router and see if you can connect, if you can (and I could) then then problem has to be with the wireless router and is more than likely just a security setting that needs adjusting. It might also be worth checking that your encryption settings are correct.

The reason I believe it is not router-related is because vidster is able to telnet to port 80 and get a response back, therefore traffic is flowing through the router.

Its very difficult to remotely debug these kind of things, but I'm sure it is software, and the first thing I'd check is whether it works after disabling Sygate. Or check Sysgate's logs.

I'm sure a clean install isn't required just yet... :)

i see u mention SP2?

wel after i installed it, ive had problems with my connection saying "limited or no connectivity.

not fully solved the problem myself, but be aware that SP2, like all service packs, may solve some problems but come with their own!

I can actually access any web site that i want, by typing the address normally. What i am not able to do is update various programs, using their automatic update functions.

Windows update comes on every night and is stuck on 47% downloaded and when i try to update AVG, it finds an update, goes to 343mb downloaded and then stop's.

When trying to stream video or audio files, Real player says it can not connect and windows media player starts looking for a connection, then time's out.

When i try using IE, I can access a page every so often but most of the time, again it time's out.

I have disabled sygate in msconfig and in systems, then re-booted and tried again, no difference. In fact i have disabled all my security including spy-ware programs, to no effect.

It is worth noting that i have no problem downloading programs manually!!.

My modem is built in to the router but i do still have my original broadband modem, i'm thinking of taking the wireless card out and re-installing the old modem just to see if it is the wireless network.

Does anybody know if i am entitled to a refund on the wireless system if it turns out to be the problem (I have only had it approx 3 weeks!)?.