Slow speeds at night on your computer.

Im with Sky Broadband and for the past two weeks have experienced very slow speeds from about 8.p.m. to 12.a.m. on my computer. It seems especially slow when I come on the Sheffield Forum. Does anyone else experience this , or is it just my service provider ? I am ringing them today to find out, but thought I would ask on here first. Its so slow on SF most nights now,that it comes to a standstill and I have to close down. :huh:

If you want to use Sky Broadband you'd be best downloading all your movies at around 6am - midday. at this time your internet's going to be faster and Sky's connection will b.

Have you checked the programs in the start up folder?

Things like antivirus start automatically, but too many programs slow the computer down.

The easiest way I have found is to open CCleaner, click on tools and then start-up. You can remove what you don't want to be running all the time. They take up memory.

Did you sign up to download the movies? If so, it could be adding to your speed problems, because in the small print they have permission to use your PC as a server for any movies you download. I'm not sure how much of your connection capacity they use, but if most of the outgoing signal gets used, then anytime you try to access a page your request would have to wait until the server gives it the opportunity to be sent, thereby delaying the time before you get the new page.

Now youve got me wondering about BT. 2000 and 20001 wasnt all that long ago. I hope theve improved since then.Maybe someone will come on who is with them,and can recommend them.:)

Pattricia, I'm on BT Broadband, but using an old package at 2Mb, rather than what's on offer at the moment at 8Mb. Basically, I refuse to change because, as far as I'm concerned, I'll be getting less for the same money. Also, I don't want bloody Norton, which is part of the package.

I'm thinking of changing to Virgin Media. I can't get cable, so it will be ADSL, but imo VM seems good value for money. If you can have cable, then I think that would be the way for you to go.

Also, as far as security goes, you can't go far wrong, compatibility-wise, with AVG antivirus, AVG antispyware and Zone Alarm for a firewall. Click the link in my siggy for links, and alternatives.

DanielSmith, I think it's already been established what the problem is earlier in the thread.:D