Slow speeds at night on your computer.

Im with Sky Broadband and for the past two weeks have experienced very slow speeds from about 8.p.m. to 12.a.m. on my computer. It seems especially slow when I come on the Sheffield Forum. Does anyone else experience this , or is it just my service provider ? I am ringing them today to find out, but thought I would ask on here first. Its so slow on SF most nights now,that it comes to a standstill and I have to close down. :huh:

Smells of traffic shaping to me (i used to endure the same on Tiscali), one of the reasons i now pay more for a better service elsewhere

Im with Sky Broadband and for the past two weeks have experienced very slow speeds from about 8.p.m. to 12.a.m. on my computer. It seems especially slow when I come on the Sheffield Forum. Does anyone else experience this , or is it just my service provider ? I am ringing them today to find out, but thought I would ask on here first. Its so slow on SF most nights now,that it comes to a standstill and I have to close down. :huh:

I suppose those four hours could be regarded a peak time, when quite often speeds will slow down due to there being so many people trying to use the internet on Sky's IP range.

I suppose you can think yourself lucky that you're not losing your connection altogether, which I believe some Sky users do.

Smells of traffic shaping to me (i used to endure the same on Tiscali), one of the reasons i now pay more for a better service elsewhere

Do you mind me asking which SP you are with ?

I suppose those four hours could be regarded a peak time, when quite often speeds will slow down due to there being so many people trying to use the internet on Sky's IP range.

I suppose you can think yourself lucky that you're not losing your connection altogether, which I believe some Sky users do.

Ive just been on to Sky technical help desk, and theve advised me to unistall IE7 and go back to IE6, which Im not going to,as the speeds have been alright on that one. They say there have been problems with IE7, but I think its just peak times which they cant cope with.

Ive never heard of that one. Is it free ?

Unfortunately no, but i can download upto 300gig a month and there's no traffic shaping.

Episodes of Lost & Prison Break download in 20 minutes!

Ive just been on to Sky technical help desk, and theve advised me to unistall IE7 and go back to IE6, which Im not going to,as the speeds have been alright on that one. They say there have been problems with IE7, but I think its just peak times which they cant cope with.

Well I would advise you to switch from Internet Explorer regardless!

There are so many vunerabilities and security breaches that all versions of Internet Explorer get hit with nearly every day.

I highly recommend Opera, I've been using it for over 2 years now and not picked up any malware or viruses unlike my experiences with IE and Firefox which have given me viruses and trojans when I have occasionally used them. Opera is the most secure browser available for Windows and that includes Firefox. It also is generally as rated as faster than IE.

http://www.opera.com/index.dml

Well I would advise you to switch from Internet Explorer regardless!

There are so many vunerabilities and security breaches that all versions of Internet Explorer get hit with nearly every day.

I highly recommend Opera, I've been using it for over 2 years now and not picked up any malware or viruses unlike my experiences with IE and Firefox which have given me viruses and trojans when I have occasionally used them. Opera is the most secure browser available for Windows and that includes Firefox. It also is generally as rated as faster than IE.

http://www.opera.com/index.dml

Thanks, I will take note of that. How can I check my speeds on my computer,and will it tell me the speed what my computer is doing at that moment, or what speed my computer was sold at, as doing.(Hope you know what I mean)

Thanks, I will take note of that. How can I check my speeds on my computer,and will it tell me the speed what my computer is doing at that moment, or what speed my computer was sold at, as doing.(Hope you know what I mean)

http://www.speedtest.net/ ~ click on the yellow pyramid, which is the recommended server, and then it will test your speed.

As for IE7 being the cause of your slow speeds, that's just bull. If it works ok most of the rest of the day, then why would IE7 cause it to slow down just for those four hours. Sky seem unable to admit that they got it wrong, although they have amended their broadband packages since they first started advertising their broadband service. As you know, Pattricia, Sky's free broadband service is the current Talk Talk, and it's going to take them a while to give a decent service.

Just as a matter of interest, do you have a router that you leave switched on all the time? I have trouble with a range of BT IP addresses, which sometimes run slower than dial-up during peak times. I used to turn my router off when I powered down my computer and, if it was off for a few hours, it would change the IP address. I ended up keeping a check of my broadband speeds and the IP address and, when I found one that was giving me the speeds I expected (1.9Meg on a 2Meg connection), I stopped turning the router off, which kept that IP address.

No I dont turn my router off Anne. I will keep a note of that link for speeds,written down. I am also not unistalling IE7,as Im satisfied with it.(I turned off the phishing like you told me) I believe its Sky that is oversubscribed(I am on the top band and not the free band,so God knows how slow that speed is)