Win XP Professional - Net connection very slow

Guest Pauly

Hi there

I just installed WinXP Pro on my pc and for some reason the internet connection is now DEAD slow. MSN won't start up as it takes too long to get data through and web pages are stupidly slow. The modem is working fine and has the correct drivers as far as I'm aware. The connection speed is showing at 48000 (56k modem) but still the data transfer is a joke and it's hardly worth coming online for.

Anyone heard of this before on XP? I was previously using 98SE and had no problems with connection speed on that. :(

I've got XP Pro installed and i dont have any problems with the internet connection.

Not much help i know. :(

Given that you were using win98 on your machine before, it could be that it's not your connection but your actual machine that's the problem... ie: it's processing at snails pace...

Can I ask what specification machine you're running XP on... ie: processor and ram details...

Guest Pauly

It's a 2.2 Athlon with 512 of ram so should be plenty fast enough.

I'm just wondering if I've installed the modem wrongly or something. :(

Originally posted by Pauly

It's a 2.2 Athlon with 512 of ram so should be plenty fast enough.

I'm just wondering if I've installed the modem wrongly or something. :(

Yeah, that spec is plenty fast enough.. You could check all your cables and unplug sockets to see if any dust in plugs..

Sometimes drivers for modems not best.. and then you have fun ;)

Best of luck

heres a way to speed up IE.

it plays with the registry so make sure you back it up and dont play if your not confident enough.

go to

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\

Microsoft\Windows\

CurrentVersion\Internet Settings

Find MaxConnectionsPerServer, if it is not there right click on the right hand side and select, New, DWORD value. Call it MaxConnectionsPerServer, and One called MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server.

right click on the key, choose modify

and hexidecimal and enter 12. Do this for both keys

Guest Pauly

Problem sorted.

Thanks for your help guys. It was just the wrong one of two drivers for the modem. Back to normal now although I may be tempted to try an speed things up a little more with some of your suggestions.

Cheers

P

Originally posted by Martin_s

You could check all your cables and unplug sockets to see if any dust in plugs..

That's technician speak for saying 'make sure its plugged in properly' but without making the user feel like a simpleton.

Actually just as an extra thing to try as I came across this yesterday round at a friends...

If you have a hugggge browser cache (Internet Explorer in this instance) you could do well to reduce it to around 50mb and do a clear out...

I couldn't be 100% sure if this was the root cause as we also have to cope with Gator on the darned thing but it certainly got itself back up and on form again after that..