Tapton School, what happened?

Just driven past Tapton school on Darwin Lane in Crosspool, for the first time in many many years, and it was....well missing!!

At least I couldnt see it, you used to walk down a short few steps with a gate....both had vanished!! Once down thos steps you hit the science block and then the main concrete building which ran parallel to the car park. There was no gateway and not a building to be seen, just grass.

did they knock the whole place down? I didnt have time to stop and drive into the driveway and see what was at the other end. My old school.....where is it?

They knocked it down a built an awful looking faceless new one instead.

OH! I couldnt seen it from Darwin Lane, must be well set back then. Knocked it down......well it was a bit of a grothole I seem to recall, but not worthy of demolition I would have thought. Does none of the original buildings still stand? The huge Gym? The main block? The various extra buildings like the english and language block which looked new back in the early 80's?

I thought the new timber clad building (Gym?) looked quite cool personally.

Originally posted by goldenfleece

Does none of the original buildings still stand? The huge Gym? The main block? The various extra buildings like the english and language block which looked new back in the early 80's? [/b]

They're all gone - mobile classrooms and all. ;)

Hiya Goldenfleece,

Did you go to Tapton,if so what year did you leave?

I work there, so it must still be there but not as it was.

I started work at the new school, 3 years ago. They built the new one on the old carpark and playing fields and when they opened the new one knocked down the old building. It was all done on PFI scheme and is due to be handed back to the council after 25 years, if it is still standing (which will suprise me).

Originally posted by t020

They knocked it down a built an awful looking faceless new one instead.

Yeah, like the old one was much better?!? My old form room was an ancient portakabin...!

I'm with Tony,

Both King Teds and Tapton were dumps with no architectural importance whatsoever and in a terrible state of repair.

The Buildings look much smarter and probably are far more economical and practical.

Tapton is just miserable because they still feel inferior to King Edwards ;)

I was at Tapton 75 to 77 then moved to king Edwards as they had a better 6th form (supposedly)!!

I cant recall too many names but my form teacher was mrs Falshawe who I think did English but not certain. I remember the deputy head, big fat man......now what was the name of the headmaster in the 70s? Remember the geography teacher Kirkman, totally mad John Cleese lookalike!!! There was a mad chemistry teacher called mr Pidd, who looked like a real mad scientist.

Our form room was a portakabin in the last year, near the car park, prior to that in the top building room 302 I remember.

Hiya

I was at Tapton in 73 to 77,so you must have been in my year!The headmaster was called Mr North,used to haunt the place.He used to frighten me to death because he used to sneak up on you.There were also Mr Pratt,Mr Hook,Mr Metcalfe,Mr Mathews(mad man)Mrs Simpson(I was in her form in the sewing room)Miss Seymour,Miss Taylor...I can remember most of them!!

I was at tapton 1998 to 2003! anyone else?