Upper Derwent...

Anyone on here a fan of this area? It was always my favourite walking area and I'm really missing it... Bus to Fairholmes... minibus to King's Tree... and a glorious day's walking ahead....

The Upper Derwent is probably the best area in the peaks for sheer variety, flat reservoir walks, steep walks up to Bleaklow, Alport, etc, the rocky edges, woodland walks.

Hard to beat!

B

What really hooked me was reading Norman Sanders' guide - so good I bought 2 copies! :thumbsup: I'd definitely recommend it to anyone wanting to explore the area - assuming it's still in print (my copies are dated 1984...)?

Best walk has to be bus to Kings Tree, up Cut Gate to the watershed, follow it all the way along past Shepherds Meeting Stones, round Swains to Barrow Stones. Over to Grinah, down the Ridge, over to Alport and nurse those aching legs back down to Fairholmes!

B

Yeah, that was basically one of my favourites.... But I preferred to take Linch Clough after King's Tree, and then on to Grinah. Grinah is one of my favourite places on a good visibility day... Then I used to go via B'low Stones, B'low Head, Hern Clough, Alport Dale, Alport Towers, Lockerbrook, Fairholmes. Not to everyone's taste, perhaps, but always rewarding to me.