Sheffield Record Shops

There was another Wilson Peck at the corner of London Road and Clarke Square - I remember Violet Mays - sold all my Buddy Holly LPs to her while saving up for a moped - wish I'd kept them

there used to be one called revolver records and also chantrey records on commercial st.

Woolworth and W.H. Smith also used to sell records. (I'm quite sure Boots the Chemist did too! I got my first record player from Boots on High Street as a Christmas present in 1982.)

Virgin moved from Moorfoot - a dull and quite grotty place - to a decent shop on High Street. I used to shop there because I had a TSB bank account which came with a TSBeat card which gave you a decent 15% discount off records, tapes, CDs and posters at Virgin records.

Otherwise, I used HMV on Pinstone Street. Indeed, I bought most of my first CDs from there in early 1986. There was only a small selection upstairs as CDs were still quite new then and compared to vinyl, expensive.

Laskey's on Leopold Street certainly sold CDs. I bought Frankie Goes To Hollywood's Welcome To The Pleasure Dome CD from there in 1985.

Strangely, I have reverted to buying records on vinyl again!

Edited by Ousetunes

Wasn't there a record shop at the top of Cambridge Street, next door to the Nameless Restaurant?

Woolworth and W.H. Smith also used to sell records. (I'm quite sure Boots the Chemist did too! I got my first record player from Boots on High Street as a Christmas present in 1982.)

Virgin moved from Moorfoot - a dull and quite grotty place - to a decent shop on High Street. I used to shop there because I had a TSB bank account which came with a TSBeat card which gave you a decent 15% discount off records, tapes, CDs and posters at Virgin records.

Otherwise, I used HMV on Pinstone Street. Indeed, I bought most of my first CDs from there in early 1986. There was only a small selection upstairs as CDs were still quite new then and compared to vinyl, expensive.

Laskey's on Leopold Street certainly sold CDs. I bought Frankie Goes To Hollywood's Welcome To The Pleasure Dome CD from there in 1985.

Strangely, I have reverted to buying records on vinyl again!

i used to go to the virgin records on high street

Wasn't there a record shop at the top of Cambridge Street, next door to the Nameless Restaurant?

Yes. It was called Impulse, later shortened to Pulse. It was an alternative kind of place, bangles, incense, shirts, PVC trousers and in the back in an area down out like a cavernous tunnel, vinyl records.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Yes. It was called Impulse, later shortened to Pulse. It was an alternative kind of place, bangles, incense, shirts, PVC trousers and in the back in an area down out like a cavernous tunnel, vinyl records.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Ah, that was it!

Here are some record shops I remember

Revolution-Castle Market Gallery

Hitsville Records changed to Jeff's Records Great Shop

Vallances/Cann The Music Man-Chapel Walk

Violet May's - A legend

I seem to recall there was a record shop in/near Barker's Pool, I remember seeing a load of John Lennon LP;s in the bargain bin at 50p, the next day he was shot and they were priced at £5 each.

There was also a tiny little shop just off the high street through a small passage, it is now a small cafe/restaurant can't remember the name.

In Woolworths there were listening booths, anyone remember those.

Bring back Vinyl!!!

Roulette in the alley way off High st. used to be K & D as well in the Hole in the road.

My wife Janice worked at Bradleys on Fargate. We still see others who worked there, Lynne Gosling, Lynn Moor and Janet Neil.

I worked at Wilson Peck on Leopold St in 1963/64.

It was a good place to work and I enjoyed the short time I was there.