Sign in to follow this  

Help - Laptop has died :(

My laptop has just told me to connect to another power supply(I was on battery), but before i had chance it decided to switch off.

I connected it to the mains but it is now refusing to boot. When i turn the power on, the HD light comes on for approx 1 second and then nothing, no attempt to find bios, no attempt to boot at all.

Could this be some sort of virus, AVG said it had found one yesterday but when i peformed a scan it could not find anything!.

Or has my HD died :(

Wont be a virus. Is it making a clunking sound? Even if the hard drive had failed it would stay on and just moan about not being able to find an operating system. If it wont switch on then its does not sound good. take the battery out and try it, is it the same? do the lights on it flash in any sort of sequence that they did not do before? lots of lapotps have eror codes / built in diags, eg on most Toshiba laptops the lights power light willm flash a series of long and short flashes that tell you whats wrong. What make and model is it???

V Strange! Took HD out and it tried to boot until it figured out it had no OS. Then put it back in and removed battery and it's worked first time.

What's going on neeeeeeeeeek?

If the battery died and you then connected it to the mains, the battery recharging circuit may have been drawing too much power for it to boot correctly/find and spin the hdd. By letting it charge for a while you may have just got it over that threshold - removing/replacing the hdd didn't actually do anything other than allow the battery to charge for a few seconds longer.

It's a common occurance in laptops. If you run down the battery it gets to such a low level that it won't boot either on battery or mains power.

But, removing the battery sort of does a 'reset' and works again.

You we're all right. Now that's what i call a result!

Thanks a lot people