Best way to travel?

Hi

Im wanting to travel around the world, but i'm wanting to know how much people take for something like this. I've asked people who I know who've done it, but they just worked their way around. Just want to know how people budgeted for stuff really!...

Totally depends where you want to go/type of accomodation you're willing to stay in/how many places you intend to visit/are you willing to work etc?

If you're just doing a "holiday" trip, then obviously you'd probably have to budget a bit more because you won't be earning any money whilst out there.

If you're willing to stay in youth hostels or budget hotels, this will save a small fortune (lonely planet guides are good for these).

If you're willing to work, it depends where - e.g. will be much harder to get a working visa for south america than it will be for australia.

Lots to consider therefore it's quite hard just to put a figure on it.

Why not use a great big hot air balloon and see if you can do it in 80 days?

Or you can borrow my ma-in-law's broomstick.

Hi

Im wanting to travel around the world, but i'm wanting to know how much people take for something like this. I've asked people who I know who've done it, but they just worked their way around. Just want to know how people budgeted for stuff really!...

Depends where you're going - if you're under 24 I think you can get a pass valid on all the railways in Europe for around £150 for 7 days. Rail has to be the best way to see Europe, anywhere in the world I'd say by plane - hope this helps:hihi:

my partners cousin is at this moment in peru, they started in thailand, then oz, on to NZ then chile and argentina, they will go to brazil then up to mexico then the usa, they went in oct last year and are due back in aug this year, they have kept us up to date with photos and emails and i wish i had the money to do it or that i was 20 years younger :), they have stopped in hostels mostly and by the sounds of it they have met some very interesting people. go for it and have awhale of a time :)

cheers everyone for the feedback! i'm 22 wanting to go with my girlfriend who's the same age. We're willing to work but i'm a bit worried that if we work we wont see much of each other. We've heard stuff about places that pay for your food and bed if you help out with voluntary stuff so I've been looking into that. I'm wanting to go to america, north n south, japan, china, europe etc. I'm very much for using hostels, cheaper the better. just looking for any good tips for saving money and ideas i guess. Thanks to you all, you've been very helpful!

have u considered doing some voluntary projects?

I can help u with that

Just one point that might seem obvious,

included in your budget, you'll need a contingency,

so that wherever you are, you always have enough money if you need to go home at short notice.

Fast car - wear shades - cartons of fags - look cool - for chrissake don't have coldpaly on the cd!!!

cheers everyone for the feedback! i'm 22 wanting to go with my girlfriend who's the same age. We're willing to work but i'm a bit worried that if we work we wont see much of each other. We've heard stuff about places that pay for your food and bed if you help out with voluntary stuff so I've been looking into that. I'm wanting to go to america, north n south, japan, china, europe etc. I'm very much for using hostels, cheaper the better. just looking for any good tips for saving money and ideas i guess. Thanks to you all, you've been very helpful!

Well, maybe you can get work in the same place? I know some people go to certain countries at a specific time of the year. Like picking olives, or apples in orchards during harvesting seasons. Or even doing skiing instructing during peak season? Mostly, you may have the evening together.

There's a book on working whilst travelling from Lonely Planet. Some cities and places may be easier to get a job than others. Whereas other places need you to sort out the work while still in the UK. So, planning out your itinery round the world first and then work out the budget is a good idea.

Most friends I know budgeted for around 3k-8k. Then again, they just wanted the travel element and saved for the trip, than doing it while young. Most paid for it from selling their house and moving to a different city as a career break. So, depending on where you want to go, and how, there's different work out there. Some can be cash in hand work, even?

[Added] Oh, if you want your money to stretch the furthest, then head for countries with a weaker currency. A colleague also just came back from a year of travel to S. America. Then again, he is the type that can rought it a bit.

If it's your first time to backpack, I'd choose a balance between too rough and one with basic amenities in terms of living.

Why not use a great big hot air balloon and see if you can do it in 80 days?

And start here