Did anyone go to Western Rd. school

Number 43 to be exact, where were you my friend?

Number 43 to be exact, where were you my friend?

Did you go to High Storrs with Pete Harris?

bevnee

my friend who hasn.t access to a computer went to western road school around 1941 tto 1949. her name was lilian . jog any memory

she lived on brighton terrace road.

Did you go to High Storrs with Pete Harris?

I taught at High Storrs, Peter Harris went to Nether Edge GS, Dave, Rowlinson.

Are you aware that in the last decade, Dave Harris has represented GB in the over 50s and now over 60s Triathlon event - World Championships?

No I wasn't aware of that, and it is quite an achievement

Will you remember me to them the next time you have contact. Tell Roydon I remember his beetle crushers and his Carl Denver records. Also Duke of Earl springs to mind.

So, how the connection with Cobden View?

No I wasn't aware of that, and it is quite an achievement

Will you remember me to them the next time you have contact. Tell Roydon I remember his beetle crushers and his Carl Denver records. Also Duke of Earl springs to mind.

So, how the connection with Cobden View?

Royden was on Glebe, you Cobden, Harris's Western Road and my parents lived on Ramsey. I later lived on Cobden from 1983 when I got married.

I have e-mailed Dave to see if he wants to make contact, either way.

He comes to my house to watch Sky when the Owls are away!

Didn't you have a neighbour called Gillian Oldale who was a Western Road pupil?

Royden was on Glebe, you Cobden, Harris's Western Road and my parents lived on Ramsey. I later lived on Cobden from 1983 when I got married.

I have e-mailed Dave to see if he wants to make contact, either way.

He comes to my house to watch Sky when the Owls are away!

Didn't you have a neighbour called Gillian Oldale who was a Western Road pupil?

Thanks, that would be nice

Incidently, are you on any of the Western Road School photos you posted a while ago. As I said, I recognise John Clayton and now Barry Adams. Can you name the others for me please ?

I'll do the first one for now (Miss Bramhall's class) apologies if I can't remember!

Back Row: Gillian Oldale, Christine Smith, Pamela Cowling, Jennifer Allen, Diane Gammons, Marilyn Bowley, Susan Messenger, Wendy Wells, ? , Susan Askin,

3rd Back: C M Ellis (head), John Smith, Roger Foster, Michael Hattersley, Keith Rogers, Nicholas Wood, Granville Marshall, William Hattersley, Michael Hunter, Peter Hitchborne, Jennifer Ellison, Vivian Hall, Miss Bramhall.

2nd Front: Jennifer Pinder, Robert O'Neill, John Clayton, ? , Roger Ellison, Tony Staniforth, David Wright, Barry Adams, Peter Goodyear, Chris Greenfield, Chris Brown (lived on Cobden).

Front: Donald Buttrell, Ann Sampson, Sally Rollitt, Dorothy Holmes, Nora Beard, Linda Cook, Diane Rowbotham, ? Throstle, Susan Eccles, Julia LLoyd and Roger Oliver.

Middle Photo - Back row additions feature; John Skelton and John Swan plus Miss Sygrove.

Next Back - Some additions, Stewart Smith, Susan Hollis, Jane Eyre, Neil Taylor.

Second Front - a few girls' names escape me - Brenda Oxtaby whom I recall lived on Western Road close to the school.

Front Row - previously named

-----------------------

Bottom picture 1959 form of MIss Exley.

The only male addition is Paul Hurt who went on to HSGS, as did Michael Hunter.

Tall girl centre Christine Kolinsky?

There are still a couple of girls whose names elude me - sorry!

The Sampsons kept the beer-off at the top of Fulton Road.

I remember Wendy Wells's dad, Tom, opening the batting for Hallam CC.

Middle Photo - Back row additions feature; John Skelton and John Swan plus Miss Sygrove.

Next Back - Some additions, Stewart Smith, Susan Hollis, Jane Eyre, Neil Taylor.

Second Front - a few girls' names escape me - Brenda Oxtaby whom I recall lived on Western Road close to the school.

Front Row - previously named

-----------------------

Bottom picture 1959 form of MIss Exley.

The only male addition is Paul Hurt who went on to HSGS, as did Michael Hunter.

Tall girl centre Christine Kolinsky?

There are still a couple of girls whose names elude me - sorry!

The Sampsons kept the beer-off at the top of Fulton Road.

I remember Wendy Wells's dad, Tom, opening the batting for Hallam CC.

Hi CB

I've just gone back to the photos you put on previously. If this was 1959 then I would be 11 years old, just about to leave. I recognise many on the photos, but there are quite afew who do not appear to be there. I remember in my class, Doris Wheat, Peter Clark, John Cresswell, John Prior, Rita Ainscough, Sheila Webb, John Kitson etc. Do you recall these or is my memory going with the years?

Regards

Geoff

Hi CB

I've just gone back to the photos you put on previously. If this was 1959 then I would be 11 years old, just about to leave. I recognise many on the photos, but there are quite afew who do not appear to be there. I remember in my class, Doris Wheat, Peter Clark, John Cresswell, John Prior, Rita Ainscough, Sheila Webb, John Kitson etc. Do you recall these or is my memory going with the years?

Regards

Geoff

The above names are very vague - Kitson rings a bell (may be the two centre-forwards of that name!) I certainly can't put a name to a face or vv in these cases - something I've had to do many times over the years and can usually do so quite readily.

The 1959 photograph, I thought, was Miss Exley's 4A, so I guess there was a 4B - but I counted about 45 heads. Presumably class sizes were of that order in the 50s? Perhaps 45 x 2 = 90 pupils in one year?

Maybe the owners of those names can tell us but I believe it was 1958-59 and I'm sure that's right. I remember a blazing row with Ellis in 1957-58 about leaving early to go to the first game after Munich at Old Trafford, played in midweek. I won, Wednesday lost! Munich being 6 Feb 1958. Thus, I know the Exley photograph is one year on.

Hi CB

Yes, I'm sure I was in Miss Exley's 4A. Maybe the year after you. Top of our class was always Clifford Alsop who lived at the vicarage on the corner of Western Road and the road where St. Timothy's was on. I also remember James Ellis passing the 11 plus to go to King Teds along with Clifford.

Geoff