Did anyone go to Western Rd. school

Doesn't anyone remember Miss Lindley?

She took the girls for the final year of school and taught needlework.

Mr North taught science if I remember rightly.

I was at western road then I one of the first 1st years at the new crosspool secondary school.Miss Lindley taught sewing and took a group of us to London.

I went to Western Road as an infant in 1958. What I remember most was the horrible smell of cabbage inside and the horrible smelly toilets outside!!

There was a head teacher called Mr. Burnett and a maths teacher called Mr. North, he had a nervous twitch and kept blinking one eye, it didn't interfere with his aim with the blackboard rubber though.

Taken, I believe 1950, in the bottom yard, Mona Ave. Miss Ellis in specs and Miss Wade ?? Any one recognise themselves, parents ?? Happy days ? they certainly were for me.

bucket.jpg

Just to the left of the picture is where Mr.Gisborne's dental practice was located. Further up the yard on the left-hand side were those walls that jutted out. Someone said they were the relics of air-raid shelters? Whatever, they were excellent 'goals' for the footie games, such that if you miss out the middle bar, the pitch was an 'E' shape if you see what I mean?

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s140/CHAIRBOY_2007/WESTERNROADJNRS.jpg

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s140/CHAIRBOY_2007/SCHOOLPHOTO.jpg

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s140/CHAIRBOY_2007/1959SCHOOL.jpg

Maybe I should have put the photgraphs on a separate link rather than add them quietly to a previous post?

What little tykes we looked. No fancy and expensive trainers, no mobile phones, no i-pods etc.; just a pocket knife and a catapult lol.

Do you remember those ties that were on elastic? A key accessory was a tennis ball to play 'spot' against a wall ( a bit like squash, only kicking!).

Brylcreem or Silvikrin on hair equipped with parting!

Ties on elastic, forgotten about those. I remember having one with the actual tie made of plastic ! Of course the tennis ball was a key accessory. Can remember my Dad using Silvkrin, we had to make do with a thick, green water based substance called setting lotion.

Does anyone remember the old caretaker called Mr.Taylor (late 50's). He smoked a pipe and we jested "army socks" inside it? You could smell it a mile away and about 4.30pm he'd make his way round and kick you off the premises even though it was a mere game of football.

Thanks for the photos Chairboy.I recognise myself in all three so I reckon we must have been in the same class at Western Rd.

Mags.