Did anyone go to Western Rd. school

Ohhhhhh no I'm so sorry x

---------- Post added 02-11-2017 at 13:37 ----------

Does anyone have contact with david (baggy) wright who chairboy mentioned in his post x

Edited by Debsy_websy

Can anyone help me? I'm trying to find out the names of the 65 fallen boys from the WW1 wooden plaque now lost that was in Western Road school now Westways. Can anyone help with this info?

---------- Post added 08-11-2017 at 08:48 ----------

Does anyone recall the wooden plaque that was in the central hall with the names of 65 fallen ww1 soldiers?

Hi Dahall01,

This is Lois and I went to Western Road/ Westways and do remember plaque. We as a group used lots of ways to find this information but nothing came of it. Even check at the Archives.

Edited by Rivelin6

I'm new here myself, just read through the last 22 pages. 

I went to Western Road Infants and Juniors, 1954 to 1960.

I remember all of the teachers and pupils mentioned earlier, in my time at Western Road.

In the juniors, JIB with Miss Hunter,

J IIB with Mr Barritt, most of the time at the Congs Annex,

JIIIA with Mrs Hobson,

JIVA with Mrs Exley.

In JIIIA and JIVA, I was in the same class as Geoff Worth (geoffusa) and the others mentioned earlier by Geoff.

Looking at my class photos for 57 to 60, I see a couple not mentioned: Jennifer Runyard and Ian Green in IIIA and IVA and I think I see Paul Simpson. Paul lived next to Clifford Alsop on Western Rd and I figure he must be a younger brother of Alf Simpson (jagmechanic) on posting #198?

My older sister Liz (Elizabeth) went to Western Road two years before me, also with Hobson and Exley.

We both went on to High Storrs.

My brother Jon (Jonathon) also went to Western Road starting in 1958.

My youngest brother Simon, started at Western Road, then probably called Westways, in 1970.

Fond memories and happy times, David Beddus

Anyone remember the home-made post box in the Western Road Juniors hall for posting Christmas cards to friends, during the run-up to Christmas?

Anyone remember the red Morris Mini car in the driveway, opposite the Mona Ave juniors entrance?  It must have been one of the first minis in Sheffield as they only came out in August 1959 and I left in July 1960. It looked amazing.

Anyone remember the green Morris Minor Traveller that parked opposite the Mona Ave entrance selling bread out of the back?

The miniature Hovis loaves were just the thing to keep you going until you reached home.

Anyone remember the steel containers of school dinners, brought in from the kitchen on Northfield Ave in a gray van?

Always smelled of cabbage.  I recall a large 6 or 8 burner gas cooker to the left inside the junior school entrance for warming up the lunches.  Mrs Brownbridge and Mrs Seedhouse rings a bell.

Where did we eat lunch?  In the classrooms?

All of the above in the 1956 - 1960 period.

I know this is an old topic but could anyone tell me about the trees that lined Western  Road.

I ask because I read an article in a newspaper a while ago that the council were going to chop them down. It went on to say that each tree was planted in memory of men who went to Western Road school and died in the war.

I didn't know this when I went to Western Road but I remembered the trees and walking past them to get to the annexe for history.

Would that be the same names that were on the plaque previously mentioned?

Were the trees chopped down ? Or did people protest?

Any information would be great as don't live near now.

On 20/09/2020 at 22:19, Mags said:

I know this is an old topic but could anyone tell me about the trees that lined Western  Road.

I ask because I read an article in a newspaper a while ago that the council were going to chop them down. It went on to say that each tree was planted in memory of men who went to Western Road school and died in the war.

I didn't know this when I went to Western Road but I remembered the trees and walking past them to get to the annexe for history.

Would that be the same names that were on the plaque previously mentioned?

Were the trees chopped down ? Or did people protest?

Any information would be great as don't live near now.

Luckily they weren't cut down as Stag protested. Yes it was those listed on the plaque that apparently was destroyed or lost. 

I was at Western Road 1940 to 1945, called Keith Smith at that time. Born with one finger on my right hand. Always in trouble: never knew why! I remember the ferocious Miss Exley and her cane. Air raid practice in the brick shelter. Friends? David Star, Grenville Thorpe, Barbara Littlewood, Peter Slater , Maurice Baldry. Lucky enough to pass the 11-plus to City Grammar despite spending most of my time reading Beano or Dandy under the desk! Now 87 ("Keith Ramsell") a retired Concert violinist and University Professor. Happy memories of the annual "ramble" down Rivelin!

On 09/08/2012 at 20:06, magsjean said:

Hi am I am Jean Arnold, just suprised to see my name in quotes. I also remember Susan Alsop, Sandra Cargill, Elaine Adams, Christine Carlton and Robert Waterhouse. Just brought back some good memories, we left Crookes about 1966.

Just remembered some more names, Katherine Sloboda, Michael Harrison, Pauline Baker. My mum used to work at the Fish and chip shop at the bottom of Cobden View Road. I can remember playing with a whip and top at the junction of Western Road and School road as it had large concrete section with Penny Walker who also lived on Cobden

View Road, going to the brownies at the church halfway up Cobden View and walking through the back garden of the Cobden View pub to get to school. I'm pretty sure that Elaine Adams brothers worked with Joe Cocker at the Gas board.

Hi Jean

I am Neil Kirby, you probably won't remember me but I married Elaine Adams in 1976 and we moved to South Africa in 1981 - eventually returning to the UK in 2000

We now live just outside London and have 3 children and 3 grandchildren

And yes Barry & Phil worked with Joe Cocker at the gas board

Keith Smith 1940 - 1945 I remember the ferocious Miss Exley (I can   still remember her evil cane!)  Miss Smith and a (student teacher?) Miss Williams were lovely. Classmates? David Starr, Margaret Smith, Graham  Ellis from the Three Merry Lads Lodge Moor and was never late. 3 of us passed the "scholarship" (11-plus): I went to City Grammar, Barbara Littlewood to High Storrs (?) and Grenville Thorpe to  "Junior Tech". He it   was who used to climb down the high roof to retrieve our balls from the 30-foot high gutter! Malcolm (later Dr.) Green, Peter Slater. The caretaker was Mr. Townsend who brought in the news one morning that Germany had surrendered. In frosty weather we used to slide in rows down the upper playground (the freezing outdoor toilets were at the top end), the kind teachers giving us extra playtime. No heating in the winter, even in the Infants School "Oil tankers are torpedoed to bring fuel to this country: it won't hurt you to sit in your overcoats. "  I was bombed out (66A Barber Road) at age 6, a girl ("Carrots" i.e. red hair) was killed. We used to play on the bomb-sites at the bottom of Springvale Road and Upperthorpe. Now a retired Concert Violinist and University Professor.

Add to Keith Smith: I forgot to list the (unidentical) twins: Pat and Peter Robinson.

I was at Western road school from 1938  to 1948 I can remember all the teachers mentioned in the previous letters, we left Sheffield soon after, but have often visited since, can anyone remember me, I lived in Warwick street next to the school

Can anyone remember having lessons in pupils homes after the school was bombed in the war, I think about a dozen of  us had lessons at my house seeing as we lived so close to the school in Warwick Street