Did anyone go to Western Rd. school

Went there for woodwork.

Also went to the schools dentist there where you were held down whilst they put a mask over your face to knock you out, when you came round you were being frog marched to a room of sinks where you stood swilling your mouth out before they let you go.

Edited by Korky Kat

Yes I was in Mrs Marshall's class in my final year at Westways in 1986, she was the music teacher as well. I believe she is she alive and well.

You are right it was Mr Davenport with the beard, although I was in Mr Ellison's class in 1985, one of the best teachers I ever had, sadly he passed away in the late 90's.

Anyone else remember Mrs Bennett , Mr Holden, Miss Beaumont, Miss Revitt, Mr Coldwell? Also Mr Hanson the head? All around the mid 1980's

Mr Coldwell was a hard, but good teacher once you got to know him.

I remember all those well, I left in 84. My teachers were Mr Holden, Miss Beaumont (aaaah lovely Miss Beaumont, my first crush - scary to think that she'll be in her 50s now), Mrs Brown and Mrs Marshall. Had Mr Ellison for some lessons though, he was great and I was very sad when I heard he'd passed away. I particularly remember his penchant for reading Mr Man books in assembly, which made a nice change from the religious stuff.

Geoff,

Remember squaring up at break time, neither wanting to cross that line. Rain came to our rescue. Never managed or wanted to land a hit then or since.

Ian

Can still hear you calling your cat......Smoky Smoky

I went to Western road school in the 70's ..its now known has Westways :)

My daughter attends it now but will be moving up to King Edwards in September :D

Have you got a brother called Kevin

---------- Post added 17-12-2014 at 19:16 ----------

do you remember steve platts dave butler rob mason

I know Steve Platt he will be around 60now?

I was at Western Road school in the late 50' / early 60's.

The formidable Miss Green - at least she looked formidable to five- and six-year olds - was headmistress of the infants school and the less formidable Miss Ellis was headmistress of the juniors.

I was taught in the juniors by Miss Ambler and Mr Bellamy.

But I don't recall the names of any of the infant class teachers of the time.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

hi do you remember Mrs Read in the juniors she taught there till1967 when she retired ,thats was my mum ,i was in the infants but then moved to Nether Green so wouldnt be taught by my mum

My mum, Sheila Thorpe, went to Western Rd in the mid/late 40's I believe. She told me of a Mr North. To my surprise the same Mr North was an elderly teacher at King Edward VII School in the late 70's

I also went to Westways (70's). Teachers I remember are Mr Holden, Miss Marshall, Mr Hurt, Miss Ambler, the fabulous Mr Hughes, Mr Hides(Head), Miss Scott, Miss Wheeler (infants), Miss Pursehouse (annexe)

Edited by Cazzerb65

Hi am I am Jean Arnold, just suprised to see my name in quotes. I also remember Susan Alsop, Sandra Cargill, Elaine Adams, Christine Carlton and Robert Waterhouse. Just brought back some good memories, we left Crookes about 1966.

Just remembered some more names, Katherine Sloboda, Michael Harrison, Pauline Baker. My mum used to work at the Fish and chip shop at the bottom of Cobden View Road. I can remember playing with a whip and top at the junction of Western Road and School road as it had large concrete section with Penny Walker who also lived on Cobden

View Road, going to the brownies at the church halfway up Cobden View and walking through the back garden of the Cobden View pub to get to school. I'm pretty sure that Elaine Adams brothers worked with Joe Cocker at the Gas board.

Hi Jean, I am Sandra Cargill. I have only just come across this forum and was amazed at all the memories it has brought back. You, Elaine Adams and myself all went on to King Ecgberts and as I remember we all stayed friends throughout Secondary School. I loved Western Road School they were some of the best days of my life. It was so lovely. My brother Donald also went there. He is around 4 years older than me if anyone remembers him. I also remember Molly Barton who was a good friend of ours. I hope you are well and would to hear from you and anyone else who remembers me. Best Wishes.

I went to all three schools left 1957. In senior school my class teacher was Mr Poole. My name is vivienne patton. I used to be friends with Margaret Roberts, louise Cheshire and pauline gee. I have never seen any oof them since left school. If any of you read this would love to hear from you. I remember miss Lindley went on holidays with her once to Italy then Switzerland and Belgium.

Hello Vivienne, Lovely to hear from you. I haven't heard from Margaret for a few years. We used to send cards, but she seems to have disappeared. I saw Pauline a few years ago outside Morrisons when I was in England, wish I'd asked for her email address, but didn't think at the time. Hope you are keeping well. Louise

Wow louise great you replied. I used to look for you on friends reunited a few years ago also tried Facebook. Where do you live now? I left UK in the sixties to live in Nigeria came back in 1990. It sounds you dont live in UK. Hope you are well. I am ok just suffer the usual things due to life style, ie smoking overeating.

Hi Vivienne,I saw your message some years ago on FU, but it was ages later so you probably didn't see my reply. Margaret went to Palestine I think and before that to Ukrain and I've phoned and written but no reply. Seems so funny because she always was the one to write first, but we always sent cards, but now nothing! I went to Switzerland also in the 60s just for a couple of months, but stayed here. I'm well too, except the same as you, best of intentions, but can't manage it. Where do you live now in England? Back in Sheffield?