Did anyone go to Western Rd. school

Went to Western Road from 1949 to 1959. Fun days (I think)

Long time ago since we were there USUK, maybe distance lends enchantment, but we had good times, and despite the huge classes, we learned a lot. Do you remember the sweet shop at the corner of Mona Road? And buying a pennyworth of fizz and a ha-penny liquorice stick? Or didn't the boys go to that shop? Maybe just for bangers in the run-up to Guy Fawkes night?

Long time ago since we were there USUK, maybe distance lends enchantment, but we had good times, and despite the huge classes, we learned a lot. Do you remember the sweet shop at the corner of Mona Road? And buying a pennyworth of fizz and a ha-penny liquorice stick? Or didn't the boys go to that shop? Maybe just for bangers in the run-up to Guy Fawkes night?

Of course we went in it . Difficult not to when walking past it every day. That is of unless we stopped in the shop at the top of Mona Road, or thereabouts, and spent up on a frozen Jubbly

---------- Post added 18-07-2014 at 10:29 ----------

So do you think we were in the same class?

Or did we figure that out already.

Yes, we figured it out some years ago.

Yes, we figured it out some years ago.

Thought so. So how are you? getting ready for the big Seven-Oh yet ? or is that next year.

Good to chat again

J

This year. September. I'm in denial aren't you? We were NEVER going to get old - and compared to our parents and grandparents, maybe we're still looking good. I'm spending my birthday in the States, just outside NY, we have family there. Nice to chat with you again.

C

This year. September. I'm in denial aren't you? We were NEVER going to get old - and compared to our parents and grandparents, maybe we're still looking good. I'm spending my birthday in the States, just outside NY, we have family there. Nice to chat with you again.

C

I'm October so you're a lot older than I am. Just believe that 70 is the new 40 and we're good to go. Must admit though that the older I get the more I reflect back and wonder what happened to everyone. I keep in touch with Chris Boyce, if you remember him, so that's at least 3 of us out of the 40 odd that are still kicking. Just the other day I was looking at that school photo of us all in our first year in the infants around 1949. I can actually name quite a few of them but don't know if you were there then?

I can't find myself on the 1949 photo though I was there at the time, maybe I was ill.

I can do a lot better with the J3A 1955 one, maybe if I name those I can, someone on here might recognise the names. Can you fill in any of the gaps?

Starting top left:

Roy Glentworth, Malcolm Thwaites, ?, Martin Leigh, Frank Eley, ?

Next row:

Geoffrey Bonser, Jane Alderson, ?,?,?, Brian Varney, Coral Wright, Richard Pratt, you.

Next row:

Margaret Allison, Lynn Morris, ?, Kathleen Ireson, ?, Janet Broomhead, Elizabeth Senior, Josephine Batty, me, Gwen (was it Slater), Helen McFagan.

Next row:

?, Joan Foster, ?, Diane Baldwin, Linda Crawley, Gwen McLean, Susan Hawksworth, Katherine Wood, Anita Clark, ?,?

Bottom row:

Rodney Lawton, ?,?,?, David Allan, ?,?, Geoffrey Armstrong, Neil Pass (is it?)

Edited by Jessity

I can't find myself on the 1949 photo though I was there at the time, maybe I was ill.

I can do a lot better with the J3A 1955 one, maybe if I name those I can, someone on here might recognise the names. Can you fill in any of the gaps?

Starting top left:

Roy Glentworth, Malcolm Thwaites, ?(Ian Cocker)Martin Leigh, Frank Eley, ?(David Jackson)

Next row:

Geoffrey Bonser, Jane Alderson, ?(Richard Lee),?(Harold Johnson),?(John Morley), Brian Varney, Coral Wright, Richard Pratt, you.

Next row:

Margaret Allison, Lynn Morris, ?, Kathleen Ireson, ?, Janet Broomhead, Elizabeth Senior, Josephine Batty, me, Gwen (was it Slater), Helen McFagan.

Next row:

?, Joan Foster, ?(Leslie x), Diane Baldwin, Linda Crawley, Gwen McLean, Susan Hawksworth, Katherine Wood, Anita Clark, ?,?

Bottom row:

Rodney Lawton, ?(Robert Hall),?,?, David Allan, ?(Kenneth Knowles),?, Geoffrey Armstrong, Neil Pass (is it?)

Ok I added a few more to your post.

I was there in the mid 70's, remember Miss Marshall with the ginger hair, can't remember the name of my teacher although I do remember him being a large bloke with a beard and wasn't afraid to use the cane or slipper.

Yes I was in Mrs Marshall's class in my final year at Westways in 1986, she was the music teacher as well. I believe she is she alive and well.

You are right it was Mr Davenport with the beard, although I was in Mr Ellison's class in 1985, one of the best teachers I ever had, sadly he passed away in the late 90's.

Anyone else remember Mrs Bennett , Mr Holden, Miss Beaumont, Miss Revitt, Mr Coldwell? Also Mr Hanson the head? All around the mid 1980's

Mr Coldwell was a hard, but good teacher once you got to know him.

I was there in year 81 and 82 but left would love to see some photos please get in touch if you have some x

I went to Weston rd school 1959 to 1963. I stayed an extra year to take RSAs before going to pre nursing school. Love to hear from anyone of that time period