Did anyone go to Western Rd. school

didn,t go to western road,crookes endowed,but spent loads of time trying to play football and cricket with some of the lads mentioned,would agree dave bennison perhaps the best player in those days,may have played some games alongside geofusa at sheff wed, sheff boys and hallam fc but how many brill players made up the 10/20 aside sat/sun games amazed no one made it but what great days how lucky were we?

I advance you by about five years and two names of Miss Hudson and Miss Eyre ring a bell. There was also a school help call Mrs Seedhouse who used to apply iodine (ouch!) to knee's cut in the playground!

Some others from the Juniors: Mrs Scott, Mr. Mawson, Miss Exley, Miss Sygrove and Miss Bramhall circa '59. Mr.Gisborne was the school dentist.

As I recall Miss Bramhall was the PE teacher WOW what a cracker my first love.

I can't help you with that one Sput, but I remember the dentist, he was like a union official, one out all out, come to think of it, could have been the metal work teacher in his spare time.

Sounds like the one I remember.

I don't remember this punishious Bellamy teacher but a chap with a similar bent was a Mr.Bowmer who if you literally stepped out of line would push you by the scruff of the neck saying:"Get into my room boy, you're wasting my time."

His room was the first on the right as you entered the Junior School on Mona Avenue. You then had the option of his two canes, licorice or ginger! Fortunately, I never had to choose but he was a fearsome man with glasses, a pencil 'tache and he used to grit his teeth. So, too, did the errant pupils!

I can remember LIcorice all too well, they call it child abuse now.

• Thanks 1

As I recall, the teacher with the twin canes i.e - 'Licorice and Ginger' was Mr. Poole, as mentioned in my earlier thread ( #140 ) with whom we had history lessons in the annex in the Crookes Congregational Church on Western Road. A cold miserable place which was on parr with the history lesson.

Edited by JOHN.P

Does anyone remember the dancing at dinnertime. I think records were played and I remember learning the two-steps and waltzes, but at least we didn't have to stand outside in the cold.

And do those who are old enough remember being told that the King had died? I was in the infants school and remember Miss Green telling us at the start of afternoon school. I remember feeling so sad for the poor young Queen because her father had died.

On a lighter note, we had to remember to say "Queens" and not "Kings" when we wanted for instance to re-tie a shoe lace in the middle of a game. Remember?

Hi,I was in the class,Elizabeth Senior,long plaits,Susan Hall too,who was the teacher who made my life hell,I called her Miss Pushbutton as she always had her thumbs in her midriff,what a horrid person,slim,dark hair,young,anyway,anyone remember meeee?

• Haha 1

Hmm

I think I was in 4A in 1955 with Richard Lee, who was a hell of an athlete (I think his cousin was Keith Jackson, a year or two older) before we moved on up to the Seniors

Hi,can you tell me your name please,I must have been in your class at school because the names are familiar ,Regards Liz Senior

I remember him giving us all the cane on each hand because someone didn't own up to speaking.

Yes! That certainly was Mr. Poole! I think he really took pleasure in this abusive practice.

• Thanks 1

Hi,I was in the class,Elizabeth Senior,long plaits,Susan Hall too,who was the teacher who made my life hell,I called her Miss Pushbutton as she always had her thumbs in her midriff,what a horrid person,slim,dark hair,young,anyway,anyone remember meeee?

Hi Lizzie, yes I remember you and I've PM'd you. Was the teacher Miss Bramall, we had her in the second year in the Juniors and she did always have her thumbs pushed into her midriff.

Hi Jessity,Miss Bramall,hmmm,not sure,better forgotten anyway,so cruel,I even remember her excluding me from a school Pantomime trip for some small misdemeanor,I was devastated,the only class member not to go,anyway,enough of her,my e.mail is [email protected] Kind Regards Lizzie.