Did anyone go to Western Rd. school

I was there from 1952 to 1961. The head of the infants was the rather formidable Miss Green, the juniors was Miss Ellis and the seniors was Mr Burnett. The seniors was referred to by the 'inmates' at the time as 'Berts College of Knowledge'.

Edited by JOHN.P

We must have been just one class apart, I left at Christmas 1959

I was at Western Road school in the late 50' / early 60's.

The formidable Miss Green - at least she looked formidable to five- and six-year olds - was headmistress of the infants school and the less formidable Miss Ellis was headmistress of the juniors.

I was taught in the juniors by Miss Ambler and Mr Bellamy.

But I don't recall the names of any of the infant class teachers of the time.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

I was at Western Road infants from 1953-6. Teachers there included Miss Bower and M(rs) Thompson. I have a memory of Mrs Thompson falling off the wooden PE beam when showing us how to use it one wet playtime in the hall.

I wonder if anyone remembers walking up Western Road in winter to the annex for history lessons in the 50s. The teacher was Mr. Poole who must have been about 110 at the time. The classroom was part of the Crookes Congregational Church with high ceilings and loose fitting windows. (No double glazing in those days!). The 'so called' heating was an old coke burning stove (I can smell the fumes to this day) in front of which 'Sir' would stand, warming his back whilst facing the class. We all sat 'FREEEEEZING' at our desks waring overcoats with numb fingers and toes and sniffling with runny noses. I don't recall taking in much of the history lessons as our concentration was on trying to keep warm. 'Sir' had two canes which he (to his amusment) named 'Licquorice' and 'Ginger' and should you be 'sadistic' Sir's victim, Sir would kindly allow you the opportunity of choosing between the two.---"OH JOY!" No one dared speak out of turn in those days. How times have changed. The good old days ? In some ways, I think not!

John

I was there between 1956 and 1960 I'd forgotten about the lessons at Crookes Congs. Our teacher there was a Mr Barrett of the two rulers cane memory. Spoke with a very posh accent

I was in the infants and juniors 1950-56. My infants school teachers were Mrs Crowson and Mrs Hibberd. Junior school teachers were Miss Smith, Miss Bramall, Miss Exley and Miss Hobson.

I was in the infants and juniors 1950-56. My infants school teachers were Mrs Crowson and Mrs Hibberd. Junior school teachers were Miss Smith, Miss Bramall, Miss Exley and Miss Hobson.

Yo !

Do you remember when Jeff Armstrong fell off the roof of the junior school and broke his leg(s) ?

Actually we'd just been on the roof anf Jeff was the last one down when the drainpipe came away from the wall as he was half way down

Was it his leg? I remember him with his arm in plaster and a sling. Isn't he even on one of the school photos with the sling? Maybe that was another adventure and he was just accident-prone!

Was it his leg? I remember him with his arm in plaster and a sling. Isn't he even on one of the school photos with the sling? Maybe that was another adventure and he was just accident-prone!

Oh you might be right, (but it was only 55 years ago)

Hi sezmick and Jessity.

It appears we were at Western Road in the same era (with overlapping

years)

sezmick, I too remember Mr Barrett. Nice, well spoken chap and in response to Jessity, I have fond memories of Miss Hobson. Always wore a brown skirt and brown cardigan with a hanky tucked up her sleeve! Hair tied back in a bun. Her grandson Brian Hobson, was in our class.

Hi sezmick and Jessity.

It appears we were at Western Road in the same era (with overlapping

years)

sezmick, I too remember Mr Barrett. Nice, well spoken chap and in response to Jessity, I have fond memories of Miss Hobson. Always wore a brown skirt and brown cardigan with a hanky tucked up her sleeve! Hair tied back in a bun. Her grandson Brian Hobson, was in our class.

I remember Miss Hobson, I don't think I got the cane in her class but I did in Mrs Scott's and Miss Exley's (actually Mr Bowmer by proxy). Her favourite saying was that she didn't want to waste her breath because she needed it to cool her porridge in the morning, and my other memory is that with a few well placed stitches she magically transformed my mis-shapen felt Golly - definitely not the done thing for boys to do needlework!!

Hi again sezmick,

That's jogged my memory! As you mentioned making a Golly in Miss Hobsons, I can remember making what was supposed to be a 'Bamby Fawn' which we had to stuff with kapok. I made the legs so thin you couldn't get a pipe cleaner through! However, as you say, with Miss Hobsons ingenuity and her nimble fingers, she made it look something like! Happy memories!