Did anyone go to Western Rd. school

I live in Bedford not been to sheffield since my mum died 18 yrs ago but have promised to go for a few days with two of my grandchildren just to show them where I grew up especially the Derbyshire countryside. You went to a beautiful country far from a place like Nigeria.

I'd say you were pretty brave to go to Nigeria and for 30 years. Where were you living? If you send me a private message we can chat on the phone. Do you remember Josie Goddard (top of Bates Street)? Hillsborough on this forum found her address for me (he's marvellous at it), but I haven't had a reply from her either. Have you had any contact with others from school? I myself often wish I hadn't left home, missed out on all the family things such as weddings, etc. Plane fares were so expensive at that time and phoning was only for emergencies. Only contact were letters. Must have been much harder for you.

Chairboy, my cousin Peter Cowan lived off Springvale road, one of the roads off to the left, probably 2 streets down from the Congs church.

does anyone remember Mrs Read from first year juniors at Western road school

Does anyone know of the existence of a memorial inscription inside the school hall that commemorated those pupils that died in the Great War. There was supposed over 90 former pupils who died but nobody seems to have a copy or list of these names.

Edited by Rivelin6

does anyone remember Mrs Read from first year juniors at Western road school

I was in Mrs Read's class...... I think about 1963/64 time.....Don't remember many of my class mates name though ..I think Mrs Read was there for many years ?

just decided to start looking towards the past and found this thread, I went to western Road infant and junior schools from 1955 to 61 went onto Abbeydale boys school, cannot remember a single name from the time there except teachers and headmistress ( ugh like everybody else she seems to induce great fear). Let me know if anybody remembers the same years.

i remember iss.hobson who was a junior teacher she had grey hair always in a bun..very strict and scary

---------- Post added 19-05-2013 at 12:32 ----------

I was at Western Road School from 1952 to1963 and wonder does anyone remember anyone who was in my class, there was Elsie Seedhouse, Barbara Chambers, Ann Higginbottom, Barry Hides, the twins Kathryn and Phylis McGovern and Ann Simpson ?

---------- Post added 19-05-2013 at 12:33 ----------

I was at Western Road School from 1952 to1963 and wonder does anyone remember anyone who was in my class, there was Elsie Seedhouse, Barbara Chambers, Ann Higginbottom, Barry Hides, the twins Kathryn and Phylis McGovern and Ann Simpson ?

Hi Val

My name is Robert Kelly I was in the same class as you and remember all the names and many more. I now live near Sydney Australia. With the exception of Miss Green the only teacher I can remember from the infants school is Miss Robertson (it may have been Robinson).

Best wishes Robert.

---------- Post added 19-01-2017 at 23:02 ----------

Hi Val'

Blast from the past! We were in the same class. I am John Preston. I remember well the teachers and fellow classmates you have mentioned and many more like the Harrison twins, (Rosemary and Norma,) Gloria Morrison, Julian Oates, Leslie Roddis, Lawrence Walker, (sadly, no longer with us), the Kirby twins, (Edward and Paul,) and Colin Barnsley just to mention a few.

So, you are in 'Sharm-el-Sheikh'. Not exactly a 'hop and skip' away! Hope life has been good for you over the years. I am Married (forty years) and we have two daughters and two grandchildren. Still living in Sheffield, (Hallam Grange) It is amazing just how many friends and acquaintances from the distant past that you find on this forum.

Good to hear from you.

John.

Hi John I am Robert Kelly, I remember all the names and some more including Robert Holmes, Graham Long, Garry Hoyland and many more. I seem to remember playing at your house which was actually a shop on Cobden View Road. I now live near Sydney in NSW Australia.

Hope you remain in the very best of health, Robert

Edited by robkel

Hi Robert,

I remember you well and how good it is to hear from you after all these years albeit from the other side of the world!

It is a whole life time since we were pupils at Western Road School, (now 'Westways') but fond memories of friends and school days still remain even at 70!

Hope life has been good to you and trust you are keeping well!

I am fine thank you. My wife Wendy and I have been married for 44 years with two daughters and two grandchildren all of whom seem to keep us busy to say the least!

Good you can remember us playing at my house which was as you correctly remember, a shop run by my mother. This must be around 60 years ago!! --- 'Happy Day's'.

Once again, it's good to hear from you.

Regards John.

Edited by JOHN.P

Hi Jean, I am Sandra Cargill. I have only just come across this forum and was amazed at all the memories it has brought back. You, Elaine Adams and myself all went on to King Ecgberts and as I remember we all stayed friends throughout Secondary School. I loved Western Road School they were some of the best days of my life. It was so lovely. My brother Donald also went there. He is around 4 years older than me if anyone remembers him. I also remember Molly Barton who was a good friend of ours. I hope you are well and would to hear from you and anyone else who remembers me. Best Wishes.
Hi new member my name is Ian Downing and I came across this site when I was looking for pictures of western road which I thought would cover the years When I was around. Yes I remember you and Jean, I was in the infants and the first 2 years of the juniors. I thought I would add some names that I remember, Brian Bestall, Vicky Brownhill, Paul Harrison,Andrew Myers, David Roberts, Peter Dalton, Stephen Goffin, Martin Frost, David Nicholson, Anne? oxley, and Julia Pratt, I think her mother either owned or worked in the hairdressers On Cobden view. I thoroughly enjoyed all my learning years and western road was no exception. I've just rememembered did we do music and movement to a BBC radio program in the juniors hall in the middle of the school? Who woul have thought that was over 50 years ago, if any one would like to contact me I would love to hear from them, I still visit Sheffield about every month to see my da.

Chairboy would it be possible for you to contact me privately please regarding someone you mentioned in one of your posts.

---------- Post added 02-11-2017 at 13:17 ----------

You mentioned a David wright as being in one of the classes. Is David wright a member of this forum please

Edited by Debsy_websy

Chairboy would it be possible for you to contact me privately please regarding someone you mentioned in one of your posts.

Hello Debby, I'm sorry to say Chairboy passed away a few years ago.