Need recommendation for webhost with perl

Anybody recommend a good webhost (unix) for personal use (not business) that has cgi-bin for my perl scripts. I've had a look at fasthosts and 1&1 but not sure yet.

Thanks in advance

Think I might have plugged this site before but I promise I aren't a salesman, just a happy customer. It is t3hosting.co.uk, it's a fairly new site and I don't think the site is fully functional yet. Drop them a mail though and they will let you know the plans. I am on one that is £14.99 a year, this gets you 500mb storage and 5gb a month bandwidth. Plus unlimited Mysql databases, PHP, Perl etc.

When a hosting company says you're allowed 'unlimited databases' (be it Access or MySQL), does this mean they'll provide you with unlimited databases (i.e. within your hosting account)? Or that they'll allow you to upload and store within your package as many databases as you want?

Always wondered that.

It means that you are allowed to create an unlimited number of databases. So for example if you are running a forum like phpBB you need to create a database for that. That would be one database. And then if you have a picture gallery like Gallery that would be another database. That's two. And so on and so forth.

Originally posted by genesiscouch

It means that you are allowed to create an unlimited number of databases. So for example if you are running a forum like phpBB you need to create a database for that. That would be one database. And then if you have a picture gallery like Gallery that would be another database. That's two. And so on and so forth.

Cheers for that - clears things up for me.

One more thing though, why would hosting companies impose a limit to the amount of databases you can create? If you've set a bandwidth and storage limit in place anyway it shouldn't effect the rest of the server even if your space was FILLED with databases.

Am I missing something?

Originally posted by genesiscouch

Although as long as the table names are unique, you could put your forum and picture gallery in the same database.

Originally posted by ncrossland

Although as long as the table names are unique, you could put your forum and picture gallery in the same database.

Quite a few webhosts that offer virtual servers tend to be limited to one database, usually only accessible from localhost (so you can't beam in using ODBC from your desktop).

It really depends on what kind of service you have, but the reason that virtual hosts limit databases is that the server load for complex queries can adversely affect the performance of other people's websites on the same machine.

Good point.

Originally posted by Phanerothyme

Quite a few webhosts that offer virtual servers tend to be limited to one database, usually only accessible from localhost (so you can't beam in using ODBC from your desktop).

It really depends on what kind of service you have, but the reason that virtual hosts limit databases is that the server load for complex queries can adversely affect the performance of other people's websites on the same machine.

It shouldn't cause too much detriment to someone then Phan who has their own server am I right? Unlike a virtual one some hosts have.

Originally posted by DaBouncer

It shouldn't cause too much detriment to someone then Phan who has their own server am I right? Unlike a virtual one some hosts have.

If there's 1 user using 1 database it won't; if there is 500 users using 50 databases each, it might!

If there's 1 user using 1 database it won't; if there is 500 users using 50 databases each, it might!

Really? Even if you've limited the amount of bandwidth a customer can use and the amount of webspace they have been allocated?

As Phanerothyme hints, its using CPU time, rather than bandwidth or disk space. If the 25,000 databases, each with hundreds or thousands of records, I use in the (albeit extreme) example above are all processing a complex query at the same time, its going to put strain on the CPU! A query that may take 1 second of CPU power may only result in a few bytes of page output.

Consider Google - their whole index may be 100Gb, but this can easily be accommodated on modern hard disks. Their bandwidth can be accommodated by modern network connections - the reason they have clusters of 1000's of servers is to provide the CPU power to deal with the queries.