Ineffective Police Force ?

I think this is the main problem that gets people's backs up, there's hardly ever "anything they can do" or so it seems from the stories we all hear. Surely, they could despatch a gofer to collect your tape and look at it, it doesn't need a highly trained CID officer to look at a cctv tape and make a note of anything that might be interesting in the light of other crimes committed in the area during the timescale?

They don't have the resource to do it, and even if they did, the police would get more hassle because a gopher/pen pusher was sent to look at what effectively was non-evidence.

So no crime was committed, unless there was trespass. The police can't act when nothing has happened.

Even if they DO commit a crime elsewhere, the fact that they DIDN'T commit a crime on your video won't mean a thing.

Now, that isn't totally true. Is it?

Not necessarily so in this case, BUT if cars nearby had been broken into or stolen and the police had no idea as to the culprits, a CCTV tape with an identifiable person behaving in this way would give them reasonable grounds to pull him in and question him.

No?

They don't have the resource to do it, and even if they did, the police would get more hassle because a gopher/pen pusher was sent to look at what effectively was non-evidence.

The police do have resources but something needs to be done with regard to de-prioritising office work which occupies,on average, 6 hours of an 8 hour shift in England.

i think your wasting your time with the police mate it takes em 3 days to even come out to the crime

Some years ago, I had to report a criminal incident to the police which resulted in their supposedly doing some preliminary investigations in to my case.

When I reported back on developments to a solicitor who had some involvement it was most telling when he exclaimed: "how did you manage that???!!

The police do have resources but something needs to be done with regard to de-prioritising office work which occupies,on average, 6 hours of an 8 hour shift in England.

might seem a silly thing to say, but if this is true why dont they get in office administrators to free the police up to do the work we need them to do.

CGK, wheres that figure from? all the figures I've seen put it at no more than 50/50, more like 40% on paperwork

edit: ignore me, this article answers it all :)

CGK, wheres that figure from? all the figures I've seen put it at no more than 50/50, more like 40% on paperwork

edit: ignore me, this article answers it all :)

Saw that article when it was published, - but there's little point in posting here about it: most people have their heads firmly buried in the sand.

And of course when the police do catch and sucessfully prosecute the crims there isn't anywhere to put them...

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,,2073545,00.html

Tony Blair's Nulabour legacy, and we should all be suitably grateful :rolleyes:

Now, that isn't totally true. Is it?

Not necessarily so in this case, BUT if cars nearby had been broken into or stolen and the police had no idea as to the culprits, a CCTV tape with an identifiable person behaving in this way would give them reasonable grounds to pull him in and question him.

No?

Possibly, but the evidence would be circumstantial and easily dismissed, or even deemed as inadmissable. On the other hand, it could get a confession I suppose. I'm pretty sure, however, we know what would be more likely of those two.

I've got some sympathy with that, as there is an inordinate amount of red tape, but as things stand, because of the red tape, they don't have the resource.

or even deemed as inadmissable.

I know you're right, but I struggle to understand how anything can be inadmissable (no matter how it came about) if its clear video footage of someone breaking the law.

This post links back to mine "where have all the police gone" I wanna know where the biker police area these days.