Ineffective Police Force ?

cctv may prevent some acts of burglary and such in a similar way to curfews on an estate preventing mass loitering on that estate, the burglar will choose a different property, the people loitering will move on to the next estate.

Neither cctv nor curfews pose any benefit when they are ignored though, first by the culprits and secondly by the police.

cctv may prevent some acts of burglary and such in a similar way to curfews on an estate preventing mass loitering on that estate, the burglar will choose a different property, the people loitering will move on to the next estate.

I'm afraid that is life, my friend. You make your own house secure and safe, so that the burglar will choose someone else. It's a horrible way of thinking, but it's very true.

Neither cctv nor curfews pose any benefit when they are ignored though, first by the culprits and secondly by the police.

CCTV will still be a benefit in identifying offenders and proving to a court exactly what they did/committed.

As for police ignoring CCTV..can you explain what you mean by that..

I'm afraid that is life, my friend. You make your own house secure and safe, so that the burglar will choose someone else. It's a horrible way of thinking, but it's very true.

CCTV will still be a benefit in identifying offenders and proving to a court exactly what they did/committed.

As for police ignoring CCTV..can you explain what you mean by that..

about 3 weeks ago outside the spar opposite the abandoned police station at manor top my mate had his wallet robbed, this was caught on cctv. my mate reported it, the police were "too busy".

about 3 weeks ago outside the spar opposite the abandoned police station at manor top my mate had his wallet robbed, this was caught on cctv. my mate reported it, the police were "too busy".

It simply can't happen.... ANY robbery is given an immediate priority...

Was it reported at the time? ie: 999

Or later when he was at home?

If it was 999 at the time, then there'd be cops there in minutes..

If it was afterwards..ie: when he was at home, the urgency is no longer an issue, and the police will attend as soon as an officer is available.

This 'robbed' wallet. Was violence used or threatened?

ive had dealings with the police on quite a few occasions, both as the criminal and as the victim, i have been treated with more respect by them when i have been in the wrong, rather than when i have been wronged. because of this, i have little faith in the police.

i think the police need to change thier strategies, especially how they deal with crimes involving younger criminals/victims. i perceive crime committed against or by youths is often ignored and if action is taken, little punishment is given.

for example a person under 18 can use their 3 get out of jail free cards for a wide variety of offences including twoc, theft, burglary,drug offences and minor assault.

the 3 get out of jail free cards are the "reprimand, warning and final warning" which only compromise 0-12 hours in a cell, with ones fingerprints, dna and a photo being taken, you might even get yourself a free meal, be it frosties in the morning with a cup of tea or a curry with a cup of tea in the afternoon. hell you might even get yourself a free pair of jogging bottoms.

If youths have such experiences how can they be expected to respect the law?

It simply can't happen.... ANY robbery is given an immediate priority...

Was it reported at the time? ie: 999

Or later when he was at home?

If it was 999 at the time, then there'd be cops there in minutes..

If it was afterwards..ie: when he was at home, the urgency is no longer an issue, and the police will attend as soon as an officer is available.

This 'robbed' wallet. Was violence used or threatened?

as he left the shop, the youth snatched the wallet from his back pocket and ran straight across the road, he rung from the phonebox at manor top.

ive had dealings with the police on quite a few occasions, both as the criminal and as the victim, i have been treated with more respect by them when i have been in the wrong, rather than when i have been wronged. because of this, i have little faith in the police.

Yeah, I can kind of understand that. I see too many cops speaking too politely to criminals and those under arrest. It's a bit too wishy washy at times.. but this appears to be how the government is changing things. I mean, they changed the police FORCE into a police SERVICE. Calling criminals 'customers' etc...

If someone commits an offence, something which they clearly shouldn't do and other people are affected as a result, they lose the right to be dealt with the same as normal law abiding people. I'm not advocating rough treatment, but the giving of cups of tea as soon as they get to the police station and all the other crap which the tax payer pays for..is ridiculous.

i think the police need to change thier strategies, especially how they deal with crimes involving younger criminals/victims. i perceive crime committed against or by youths is often ignored and if action is taken, little punishment is given.

I agree with you again. However, having said that, I don't think it's the police's fault regarding the poor punishments...it's the courts, social services, probation service etc.... Even as much as the blame falling on the schools. At the top of that heap, is of course the Government. There's no discipline in schools, so that lack of respect just magnifies when out of school.

for example a person under 18 can use their 3 get out of jail free cards for a wide variety of offences including twoc, theft, burglary,drug offences and minor assault.

the 3 get out of jail free cards are the "reprimand, warning and final warning" which only compromise 0-12 hours in a cell, with ones fingerprints, dna and a photo being taken, you might even get yourself a free meal, be it frosties in the morning with a cup of tea or a curry with a cup of tea in the afternoon. hell you might even get yourself a free pair of jogging bottoms.

If youths have such experiences how can they be expected to respect the law?

I agree with you 100%....

Who do you blame for this softly softly approach? I mean, most of the cops that i've every worked with would love to clip naughty kids and give them a right good 'speaking to'.. But it's not worth the hassles and the later accusations... which will rock the boat...

The public don't help.. the moment a cop gives a burglar a good hiding..the public reach for their camcorders and videophones...so that Look North etc can put the cop on trial before the end of the day.

as he left the shop, the youth snatched the wallet from his back pocket and ran straight across the road, he rung from the phonebox at manor top.

In that case, it's a 'theft from person'. (not a robbery). However, that legal technicality isn't a problem to your friend. Did the police not attend the scene? Or did they visit him afterwards?

Where is the CCTV there? I'm trying to think....where the cameras are in that particular area...:huh:

i suppose its the government or them in it who make stupid laws, and set silly targets are to blame. but i do think the police share some blame though, as they choose to meet the silly targets, probably because it will result in financial gain for themselves - i don't know if it does mind.

decriminalising cannabis for instance was stupid, the problems associated with it have nothing to do with cannabis use but the trade of it, which has flourished recently. they bust factories needlessly and in turn create a larger supply to meet demand. why?

less attention is being paid to theft, violent criminals are punished too leniently.

terrorism laws and a lack of investment in science is rapidly killing of our countries ability to produce learned scientists (not so much biologists) and mathematicians.

universities are teaching pointless things like media studies and degrees which have value focus too much on passing exams rather learning.

the shoddy running of the country upsets and angers me nearly to the point of insanity.

benefits are paid too easily to the work shy and made as hard as possible to receive for those who are in need and do actually wish to find work.

If something doesent change soon, im either going to finish off my studies and leave the uk for good or end up getting locked up for doing something stupid .

I used to be proud to be english, nowadays i'd rather be classed as a European.

Going back to my point about how the justice system in England is let down by the courts and not the police... Only today, this is revealed..;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/south_yorkshire/6684831.stm

So the police catch a rapist, responsible for numerous disgusting offences against women..(who's lives will no longer be the same)...put him before the courts....where he gets a paltry 14 years....

Then..when he appeals....the Court of Appeal reduces it by half...so he's only got 7 years.

I think it's high time the public start to realise who exactly it is, who's letting them down...as you've a long way to go before the finger points at the cops.

In that case, it's a 'theft from person'. (not a robbery). However, that legal technicality isn't a problem to your friend. Did the police not attend the scene? Or did they visit him afterwards?

Where is the CCTV there? I'm trying to think....where the cameras are in that particular area...:huh:

they didn't visit him, hes not too bothered now, it was only £40 he lost and hes got new cards through now, its a shame he doesn't know where the kid lives who did it, as he could get revenge.

another thing wrong with society is how my mate is "cared for", he is a scizophrenic who will never work again in his life, he could easily become a carpenter but has no incentive to, the amount of benefits he receives is more than he could earn by working.

i ask him if he would work, he says "yeah, i'd like too, but what's the point? im on more money by not working" i say, what if you were on more money through working? he says "i would tom, but what job could i do and who would employ me" the sad thing is that he is right in what he says.

regards the cctv, theres the councils camera monitoring the road, which would could have been used, and i think there is few above some of the shops

I personally wouldn't be leaving anything to the value of £1000 outside for anyone to steal whether it's locked up or not.

Perhaps it would be a good idea for you to get CCTV and you & the neighbour share the cost to keep it minimal.

Unfortunately, the police won't be able to do much unless you do take these kind of measures.

One must assume that is you own a car it's value is under £1000 or it never leaves the garage. The victim took precations, had they been locked in a shed it would have made little difference.