Ineffective Police Force ?

The police used to provide opportunities for members of the public to patrol with them. Perhaps if they still do, that would answer your question as to what they do effectively - I think you would be very surprised at the number of "non police roles" which they have to fulfil. The days of police officers patrolling the beat have gone forever.

What on earth are you talking about?

I would be very surprised to find out that the police were having to perform non police roles. The police cannot perform their own roles half the time, yet you say they are filling in elsewhere. It is no wonder the don't have time to stem minor crime if they are working on some other task.

Many experts believe that if you stamp down on crime no matter how minor, then this has an explenential effect reducing all crime.

What on earth are you talking about?

I would be very surprised to find out that the police were having to perform non police roles. The police cannot perform their own roles half the time, yet you say they are filling in elsewhere. It is no wonder the don't have time to stem minor crime if they are working on some other task.

Many experts believe that if you stamp down on crime no matter how minor, then this has an explenential effect reducing all crime.

I'm talking about unpopular tasks that arent anything to do with the police that other agencies don't want to / can't deal with - for example people living in the community with mental health issues. The police are called to deal with this. They have some powers under The Mental Health Act to deal with people but only if in a public place. What happens when the person is in a house? The result is the police find themselves in a situation where they cannot leave the affected person to their own devices but neither can they take them to a place of safety as they dont have a power. The result is that they have to call Phsychiatrists out and mental health social workers to section the person. If you have ever had any dealings with health professionals then you will know they aint quick and social workers take even longer (I'm not having a go at social workers). This results in officer/s being taken away from their "crime fighting duties" doing the job of other agencies for hours on end - thats what I'm talking about and that is just one example of what ties them up for hours.

I believe the current Govt refused to allow a review of the police's roles and responsibilities - perhaps thats because the role they perform involves many non crime related tasks of which you, and possibly a great many people out there know nothing about. A review may have meant that some of those unpopular tasks currently performed by the police would have to be performed by someone else - but there's nobody else to do it. Perhaps if they only dealt with crime you would get the service from them which you so clearly want. That's my point.

We had stuff nicked out of our shed a few weeks back. We didn't report it because we knew the police wouldn't be able to do anything about it: no-one had seen anything, fingerprints or footprints, so what could they be expected to investigate? It's not the coppers' fault: it's the nasty vermin who think that thieving is acceptable. We have a fair clue who was responsible but can't prove anything conclusively (lots of 'coincidences' piling up together though make it likely), and funnily enough the entire family are low-level criminal wasters.

Report EVERYTHING. Otherwise how do the Police know there is a problem?

Have you spoken to any members of the Police force recently? It would seem that relaxing the rules on who can enter has had a negative effect on the calibre of entrants to the force. The term 'thick as ****' applies to most I've met. Before any of you ask, no, I am not a career criminal but I do come into contact with the Police quite frequently.

Some time ago whilst driving, I was stopped by police. Evidently I had a back light out and should have known about it. The PC gave me a ticket and I had to go to a garage and have one fitted, then send the ticket, which had to be embossed with the garage's stamp, to Police Headquarters. The ticket had a description of me which said I was 'Well over six foots with a big black mustash'.

Last year I was stopped on the Dearne Valley Parkway for the same thing (I intend someday to have eyes in the back of my head). The PC told me to sit in the back of his car, and he read the riot act to me. Another police car stopped alongside, and the WPC in the passenger seat asked him what was wrong. 'I am speaking to this man, as he has a rear light out'. I heard her say 'And so have you'. He knew I had heard her - he let me out of the car and said goodnight. She was right, as I saw it as he drove past me.

Last night we captured on CCTV youths Teeing off towards our house, one of the golf balls hit our Van and damaged a panel, On informing one of the parents whos child is on film teeing off and collecting one of the golf balls from our Drive, the mother just rants and raves in the street saying my child didnt do it and if you go to the police i will say that you were abusive to my child and get you done this is what i call council estate mentality.

Deciding the Parent are as bad as the child i then go to the police in the hope that they may do something on informing them of the coments of the mother they then try to get me to admit being abusive to a minor.

Does anyone know what we pay our taxes for ?

its not nice havein stuff stole off you but the police today are just not arsed just show face fly the flag then **** off back to hq.

Cctv Never Prevents Bad Things That Happen& It Most Defanetly Can Not Stop The Crime Takeing Place

And Protect Us.

Cctv Never Prevents Bad Things That Happen& It Most Defanetly Can Not Stop The Crime Takeing Place

And Protect Us.

That's not exactly correct....and I think you know that...

CCTV prevents many crimes... however, it's hard to calculate where those criminals then go to, that doesn't have CCTV.

Also, as CCTV is an effective tool in both identifying criminals and also showing exactly how the event unfolded, it's crucial in securing convictions..

its not nice havein stuff stole off you but the police today are just not arsed just show face fly the flag then **** off back to hq.

Again...just another ignorant and ill-thought out post by you...I'm struggling to find any posts of yours on this forum that either help others, inform others, or contribute constructively to any debate...

I suppose you could tell us stories about you and your girlfriend :hihi: walking the dog around Arbourthorne and the interesting things you've seen and people you've met... Perhaps that would be more pleasant a read...:suspect:

Sorry i have not read through the whole of this thread, but can i ask TallPaul, do you happen to work for the police force?

And Protect Us.

I don't normally agree with TP, but he's right: this isn't quite true.

I agree that it doesn't prevent some crimes - e.g. that feller who got clobbered round the head in Rotherham lately - but then even the police don't prevent all crimes from happening - they're not some kind of Minority Report department y'know!

Having said that, CCTV probably prevents some crimes, but the problem is calculating exactly how many crimes it prevents. The best you can do is find out the average crime rate & breakdown for an area, then install a CCTV camera, wait a bit & check the average crime rate & breakdown again. The thing is (as with some speed cameras) sometimes a reduction in average crime might look like it's being caused by the CCTV camera, whereas it's actually due to something else - a trouble-causing pub nearby closing, for example.

OTOH - without CCTV footage the conviction for the two idiots who did the clobbering in Rotherham wouldn't have been quite so easy.

The best you can say - on either side - is that CCTV sometimes prevents bad things happening, and conversely sometimes it doesn't. The question is - how many times, and how would you prove it?