Do you have a will?

Do you have a will?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have a will?

• Yes, I have a will.
    • Yes, but I need to update my will.
    • No, don't own enough to bother having one.
    • No, I should have one but haven't bothered yet.
    • No, I've never even thought about it.
    • I am immortal/don't like to think about death

i havent got a will .......... although i should get around to doing one.

if i die, everything i have automatically goes to my husband and vise versa, if we die together, its shared equaly between my 2 children (who are still young) ........ if all 4 of us go together ,.......... i dont give a damn :rolleyes:

That's not true and you should make a will.

I believe it depends on how much your estate is worth but if one of you dies then the whole estate doesn't go totally to the surviving spouse.

The children automatically get a share of the estate.

Edit just googled intestate and found this:

http://www.wisewills.co.uk/intestate.htm

note.. h) in the last resort Charles gets it all:gag:

If you do not make a last Will and die Intestate, then your estate will be distributed as follows:

Order of Entitlement under the Intestacy rules.

The administration of estates act 1925

Administration of estates acts provisions.

First, where there is a surviving spouse he or she takes everything unless the Intestate left certain relatives.

(a) If the Intestate also left issue (that is children, grandchildren and remoter lineal decedents) the spouse and issue share the estate provided the issue satisfy the requirements of the statutory trusts.

(b) If the Intestate left no surviving issue, but left a surviving parent or parents, the parent(s) and the spouse share the estate. The parent(s) take(s) the property absolutely or in equal shares. If no parent survives but the Intestate left a living brother or sister of the whole blood (or other issue) they share the assets with the spouse, provided that they satisfy the requirements of the statutory trusts.

If the Intestate left no surviving spouse, the estate is distributed as follows.

(a) To issue on the statutory trusts, but if none then to

(b) Parents absolutely (and equally if both are alive), but if none, then to

© Brothers and sisters of the whole blood (i.e. the children of the same parents as the deceased) on the statutory trusts, but if none then to

(d) Brothers and sisters of half blood, (i.e. those who share one parent with the deceased) on the statutory trusts, but if none then to

(e) Grandparents absolutely (and equally if both are alive), but if none, then to

(f) Uncles and aunts of the whole blood i.e. brothers and sisters of the whole blood of one of the parents of the deceased) on the statutory trusts, but if none then to

(g) Uncles and aunts of the half blood (i.e. those with one parent in common with one of the parents of the deceased) on the statutory trusts, but if none then to

(h) The Crown, Duchy of Lancaster or the Duke of Cornwall as “bona vacantia”

I also have a will, it`s a sensible thing to do. I`d reccomend Padken ( on here)

If everything I own - which is practically nowt - goes automatically to my missus and/or kids, then I don't need one because that's where I want it all to go anyway ... shared out evenly amongst themselves of course. As everything I own partly belongs to them already, then they already have it.

Now all I need to do is get out of paying the thieving undertakers just for burning my body and hiring the family a glorified estate car at an extortionate rate.

Anyone know how to get round the funeral rip-off merchants?

Forgot to add, Padken gives a discount to forum users, so,what are you all waiting for?

Where theres a will, theres a way! :D (Ok, that was bad)

I haven't given it much thought to be honest. Maybe in a few years, when a sprog or two claim I'm their dad - will I then think about it :hihi:

I've been trying to find out legalistic stuff for the last year or two because my situation is a bit wierd. I have no property, no kids, no partner, etc, but I have a horrid family situation that I want legal protection from in case of 'next of kin' procedures. I have certain bars I want put in place concerning that. I also realistically know that it's possible that if I suddenly die, the council will clear out my flat and probably incinerate all the art I've ever created, the idea of which is deeply distressing. I have a worker who's been trying to get legal advice about my unusual situation, but the system is set up for conventions that don't apply to me, and I can't afford full-on legal matters right now.

I'm only young but I'm in a high risk pigeonhole for early death, and I want to feel like I'm leaving something of purpose, otherwise it would all feel like a waste of time.

I doubt I'll ever need one to be honest, let's face it I'm 31 a week on Saturday and have no prospect to date of ever having any kids or even a Missus :(

Thats a very negative post Rich. :(

I'll take yer xbox off you if you want:) bit bored of PSP now.:);)

Where there's a will there's a relative....

In the absence of a will, the first £125,000 of your estate automatically passes to your spouse if you have children (plus life interest in half the balance). I think this figure may have increased recently especially in light of the fact that most properties now exceed this. I think it might be in the region of £250k

Here is a good flow chart to follow; -

http://www.cch-solicitors.com/images/flowchart.gif

I doubt I'll ever need one to be honest, let's face it I'm 31 a week on Saturday and have no prospect to date of ever having any kids or even a Missus :(

That,s Sad Rich, you never know what to expect.

I am sure you would make someone a lovely husband.:thumbsup:

That,s Sad Rich, you never know what to expect.

I am sure you would make someone a lovely husband.:thumbsup:

Or a lovely wife......

Or a lovely wife......

Behave Basil or you might be on for a 2 weeks holiday.:hihi: