McAfee security running out...

I've had McAfee for nearly a year and the expiry date is due in around a month, I had someone install this for me when I had my computer repaired. I previously had AVG that everyone raves about but it never worked for me I had virus after virus. McAfee seems great to me.

Should I purchase this from say PC world as on eBay there are some for about £4 which seems ridiculously cheap.

I can upgrade online from the US site or the UK site you can purchase the same as on ebay for £25.00.

Any advice welcomed

You're probably expecting this, but my advice is to try AVG again... it seems to work perfectly for everyone else :)

But if you must buy McAfee, check that your ebay ones include VAT and watch out for delivery costs. Alternatively, buy OEM from somewhere like ebuyer.

if you had viruses using avg how did you know avg wasnt working?

did it tell you you had viruses - avg working

or found out some other way?

ive never had a problem with it, dont think ive had a virus in a long while and its popped up and stopped a few

I just knew I was in for all this !

When I had AVG it detected them but after that it quarantined them but my computer was just riddled with stuff so I assumed it wasn't working.

After I had McAfee it worked smoothly and has done since so I'm a bit sceptical of things that are 'free' Spybot and all the other free malware stuff never worked either, maybe I just don't know how to use it properly, I ended up having my conouter wiped and started out again and I'm just afraid if I don't renew i'll have all those problems again.

When I had AVG it detected them but after that it quarantined them but my computer was just riddled with stuff so I assumed it wasn't working.

After I had McAfee it worked smoothly and has done since so I'm a bit sceptical of things that are 'free' Spybot and all the other free malware stuff never worked either, maybe I just don't know how to use it properly, I ended up having my conouter wiped and started out again and I'm just afraid if I don't renew i'll have all those problems again.

Hey twicher l use Avast home edition its free to download from http://www.avast.com

Hey twicher l use Avast home edition its free to download from http://www.avast.com

its also used by sheffield schools and collages so cant be that bad

errrrrrrrrm how the hell can avg not be working right if it found stuff and quarantined it?????? thats what its supposed to do

and dont for one minute think cos somethings free its worse than paid for stuff, it can be, it can also NOT be :)

i used to use norton for a few years, when i got bored and moved on to avg it instantly found a virus on a cd norton didnt tell me about.

AVG obviously was working because it detected all the virii. How did you get those virii in the first place? The usual way is downloading from dodgy websites, or opening dodgy (spam) emails.

If you weren't happy with AVG there are plenty of other free options. Have a look in the list in the link in my siggie.

Also, while you're at it, look for a decent firewall, antispyware and a pop-up blocker.

The usual way is downloading from dodgy websites

You can also become infested/infected by visiting a domain/site that has been hacked and not repaired (especially if viewing with IE - or any other browser that allows ActiveX to run).

How did you get those virii in the first place? The usual way is downloading from dodgy websites, or opening dodgy (spam) emails.

[/color]

If I knew that I wouldn't have got them in the first place, I suspect it was my daughter on runescape that's when the probs started and I never open unknown emails...

If I knew that I wouldn't have got them in the first place, I suspect it was my daughter on runescape that's when the probs started and I never open unknown emails...

Twitcher....you get nowt for nowt......take no notice of the others.....there isn't a "free ride" on any system...... :thumbsup:

No AV software is 100% perfect, but you shouldn't go far wrong with AVG: an excellent free product as many will testify. If you want an AV program that doesn't work as well and gives you a false sense of security, then I'm sure there is at least one product available commercially...