Has anyone experienced this? I'm crabby after an anaesthetic

i was a right grump after waking up from having my wisdom teeth out!

My son was 4 or 5 when he had a couple of investigative surgeries. He is normally a little angel but it sent him mad. He was thrashing around and nasty and violent which is totally out of character for him. As soon as it wore off he was fine. Hope you're feeling better soon xx

Hi, don't worry about being crabby following your surgery, I'm a recovery nurse and you would be surprised the changes in people's behaviour following an anaesthetic! We get people singing, crying and either wanting to marry us or hit us...(or both) Relax, have plenty of rest and it'll wear off and you'll be back to your sweet self!!

i dont know why i was being nasty, in not normally like this.

Anaesthetics affect the brain just like alcohol and any other drugs and people react differently. As we all know, many people go nuts once they have a few bevvies inside them.

Stop beating yourself up about it. Just concentrate on your recovery. Good luck:thumbsup:

I felt fantastic after my last anaesthetic - really, really good. I woke up, looked around, had a few amusing thoughts, and went back to sleep again. Must have done this five times or more during the afternoon. Such a nice feeling of contentment. Would I have been as happy if I had had to set off for home as soon as I woke up the first time I wonder: probably not!

I too was "happy" after all 3 of my major operations.

The only problem with the first one was later on in the day I felt very sick.

At the 2nd and 3rd op they looked at my previous notes and adjusted the anesthetic so that I wasn"t sick at all.

I did have a sore throat and a croaky voice for a few days though.

at the northern general hospital at 7am this morning to have a bunion(not sure of the spelling)removed. i was nasty to my partner when he picked me up cos he came in the van and not the car, (he didnt think i would be sent home that early). i didnt think i would be able to climb into the van, however after a few minutes and a few tears i did manage it. i have said sorry to him more then once this afternoon but i still feel aweful about it.

Women - weakness!;)

A few years ago, I had minor outpatient surgery. The husband dropped me off around 7 am and picked me up at noon. When I woke up, I was absolutely giddy and could NOT stop laughing. Everything seemed hilarious and I mean everything. There was a man in the next bed who was swathed in bandages like the Invisible Man (God only knows what had happened to him, poor fella) and I thought it was the funniest thing I'd ever seen. Everytime they pulled back the curtain to check on him, I tried to stifle my giggles in my pillow, but I didn't do a very good job. He was too out of it to notice, but his wife and daughter glared daggers at me.

Once home, I was dying of thirst and was finally able to get a nice, big glass of ice water. I eventually calmed down and fell asleep. When I woke up, my stomach was churning and I was violently ill in the first thing I could find...my son's Halloween bucket which was on the floor by my side of the bed. Ugh. Good times.

:) Sierra

:| When i comeing round from the anaesthetic had a feeling like i was trapped so of cause started to lash out big time at anyone that was near me :help: lasted for a good 20 seconds.

then spent the next 10 mins appologiseing to all the nurse's and stuff :hihi:

My Grandad used to do the same thing when ever he had been under..

no idea why :huh:

I have had 3 general anaesthetics to date, with another one on the cards. Have come round from them really chilled out, but very, very sick for a day afterwards

I felt fantastic after my last anaesthetic - really, really good. I woke up, looked around, had a few amusing thoughts, and went back to sleep again. Must have done this five times or more during the afternoon. Such a nice feeling of contentment. Would I have been as happy if I had had to set off for home as soon as I woke up the first time I wonder: probably not!

Me too! I was out for 14 hours, and when I woke up I felt great. Never felt that good for years!

i had to be at the northern general hospital at 7am this morning to have a bunion(not sure of the spelling)removed. i was the first on the list to be operated on and got back to my bed at 9.50. at 1.30 i was allowed to go home which i was so glad about. i was nasty to my partner when he picked me up cos he came in the van and not the car, (he didnt think i would be sent home that early). i didnt think i would be able to climb into the van, however after a few minutes and a few tears i did manage it. i have said sorry to him more then once this afternoon but i still feel aweful about it. i would like to know has anyone else experianced this? i dont know why i was being nasty, in not normally like this.

My husband must have followed you into the theatre yesterday, he was second on the list, for corrective surgery on his foot. Happy to say he has no after effects. Hope you are now feeling better.