Bradfield School

Does anyone remember the SUT coaches that the Stannington kids used to travel to and from Bradfield School on in the 1970's ? I'm sure that most of them were death traps !

I remember how they used to overtake each other going up Long Lane - the 'Avenue' coach held the record for overtaking all the other 4 coaches in one go.

Then, on the return journey, there would be the cry 'gu' fast o'er bridge' as the coach flew down Rowell Lane and over the bridge. There was always someone on the back seat who had done Housecraft that day and ended up with the contents of their casserole dish all over their knee!

Edited by Daven

The old SUT coaches [sheffield United Tours!] We always got the decrepit ones - so it didn't matter if the kids damaged them. There were a lot of envious kids on those old SUT buses - as the Loxley, Dungworth and Hollowmeadows kids got 'Hagues Coaches' - bloody luxury!!!

All the younger kids used to sit at or near the front of them, and as you progressed through the school years, you came of age which meant you could sit on the back seat or near it - with the 'ards!! I wonder if they have a similar tradition now?? Doubt it!!

I left Bradfield in 1983....great times there...and i'm the Jill Saddington someone said about lol...not sure who, don't know the tag names on here! We have a reunion this Saturday 26th at Park Hotel, Hillsborough if anyone is interested though?

Hi Jill long time no see.

I left in 1977 and I'm sure they were planets.. Mars, Mercury, Saturn and either Pluto or Venus

On second thoughts think that might have been my Junior school and the names mentioned are right

Edited by madmax23
Rectified info

I think the maths teacher was Mr Ian Warby,but his nickname was Isaac.

I remember Isaac Warby. Used to chuck money on the floor for him to pick up lol :hihi:

One of the lucky ones from Loxley with the Hagues coaches. The coach drivers were always blagging fags off the kids. 1972-77 and I remember all the sponsered walks to raise money for the pool which became an all weather track and I think they are now digging it up to build on it. Hubby was there till 1972. Loved it when we had bad snow and couldn't get to school.

hi i was at bradfield school from 73to 78 i think i might know you. i am also from loxley. i went to loxley youth club and sunshine corner;)

My mum used to fancy Mr Holmes. Both parents went there, I did, and now my little sister.

I HATED it. My year was full of <removed> haha

Edited by kittenta
Family friendly forum.

Recently heard that Frank Rodgers has passed away - well into his 90's.

RIP Ginner ! X

I was there between '60 and '64. Mr Day was head and Miss Oram (Olive) was deputy head.

Cyril Madden was music teacher

Mrs West nee Miss Madden, was our form teacher and english teacher

Mike Bancroft Maths

Pat Levitt Art/crafts

Mr Allen Art

Miss Tyson PE later she became Mrs Wilson.

Barbara Walker - housecraft

Mrs Beeton - needlework

Mr Rutherford - Geography and Art

Mr Rogers (Ginner) science

Miss Holt Biology

Mr Luff - R.E.

Mr Body - cant remember what he taught.

Mr and Mrs Bagshaw, again cant remember what they taught.

Cant remember any more lol its been a while.

Yes i went to bradfield 1967-1972 does any one remember having to do ballroom dancing in the gym when the weather was to bad for your sports lesson

---------- Post added 20-11-2013 at 21:27 ----------

Would love to hear from other ex bradfield pupils