Chapeltown Park Illuminations

used to go to bug every weekend and seem to remember a snooker hall

round there where i first learned to play billiards

are you the barry smith that worked at cintride

My favourite from Chapeltown Illumination were the Bears that used to play Beatles songs. Wonderful memories !

used to go to bug every weekend and seem to remember a snooker hall

round there where i first learned to play billiards

are you the barry smith that worked at cintride

Sorry dont remember snooker hall, didnt work cintride

the snooker hall was back of chemist then changed to royal mail sorting office now dole office

Brilliant memories, I went in 1966 with a mate, I had a Triumph 500, we met two lasses from High Green and scuttled them in the woods the same night, oh the memories linger on,

I was at the bug hut with mates the night it closed,We brought a seat each out with us

I am sure it was 7 Feb 1959. I was there, and the last film was 'The Young Lions', with Marlon Brando and Dean Martin. The cinema opened on 1 January 1921. I have a potted history of it.

I am a friend of the park in Chapeltown, and I have been told about the Illumination that used to be in the park. Personally, I think that they should be brought back! We are hoping to get some electricity in the park, so maybe in the future they will come back! :hihi::smile:

barry smith do you have a brother called alan who was a plumber in chapeltown:)

Just bringing this back to light after many years as it cropped up in a conversation in the pub and I contributed to this thread many years ago. Will now only be remembered by anyone over 50 ish and i've not seen any photos of the lights in archives or history sites (unless you know there are?) . That's a shame really as the illuminations were so much part of the calendar of Chapeltown and they are becoming forgotten.

When Chapeltown became part of Sheffield in the 1974 when SYCC was set up some of the set pieces came to be used in the Christmas illuminations in Sheffield. The former street lighting team joined the Sheffield department, and they brought the equipment with them.