Sign in to follow this  

Childrens fancy dress

Anybody have any ideas for costumes for childrens fancy dress? I don't want to hire but need something that is easy and preferably cheap to make. :help:

Our 7-year-old won a fancy dress competition last week by wearing a dress made out of newspapers and calling herself "Misprint".:D

Thanks patchy that sounds great but perhaps I should have said that it would need to be fairly durable as the party is in one of those play barn places so there will be lots of rough and tumble.

For a boy, buy cheap leggings and a t-shirt and sew on cheap bandages, give him a dummy and a teddy and he can go as a 'mummy's boy'!!

Get a pair of blue trousers, and red undies (worn outside the trousers) and a blue top, followed by a red bag cut up like a cape and go as Superman/Supergirl.

Cheap and looks good :D

I went to a fancy dress comp once, as a Buttercup... I won, needless to say lol! I had petals all round my head made from Cardboard and crepe paper, I also had crepe paper round my wrists attached to children's bracelets. Yellow clothing with green tights...

My cousin went as a Postbox and won 2nd prize. He had a cylinder shape made from cardboard covered in crepe paper and a little label on him stating the mailing times lol!

Whatever you do, don't buy a costume.... It's a cheats way out and you won't deserve to win if you do that. Original and abstract ideas, as ours were when I was little are what wins this sort of competition as the sheer ammount of work and effort put into producing the costume outshines any ready made costumes.

Fantastic ideas folks, keep em coming.

I just remembered something!! When it was the silver jubilee my mum made me wear a big cardboard box painted red,white and blue with a cardboard toilet seat attatched. The box had playing cards on it and I was ..........................

wait for it ........................

A Royal Flush!!!!!!!!

Never understood it till years later!!