Sign in to follow this  

Does anyone here walk to support other hobbies?

Hi all,

I sued to do a lot of walking to support some of my other hobbies, particularly archaeology, photography and amateur radio.

I was wondering whether anyone else here has walked for 'a purpose' rather than walking as an end in itself?

I have started walking for the dogs, but Im really enjoying it.

I love the peace and quiet of the country but also the lovely sociable nature of stopping and chatting with random people.

Love it :hihi:

I like to visit ancient sites (stone circles, chambered cairns, standing stones etc)

Also some of the best sea fishing spots are a good old trek along the cliffs or beach, i take a bivi or tent when fishing and stop all night.

I like to visit ancient sites (stone circles, chambered cairns, standing stones etc)

Also some of the best sea fishing spots are a good old trek along the cliffs or beach, i take a bivi or tent when fishing and stop all night.

Sounds like me with the radio gear! :)

I keep intending to return to Stannage Edge - there's a great 'take off' for radio signals there which I'd like to try with better kit than I took last time.....

Olliekitten - do you take the dogs or do they take you? ;)

When i think about it a lot of my walks take on a purpose, although they don't start out that way, i'm always on the lookout for free herbs, fruit or fungi.

And with digital cameras it's a rare trip when i don't come back without some images to remind me of the places i've seen.

It's the promise of some good photographs that get me out when the weather tells me to stay home, warm and dry.

My husband goes walking for the walk itself but also to take some fabulous photographs.

I am continually amazed by how wonderful his photographs are and what a wonderful essence of the nature they give.

I'll try and bully him into showing them on here soon.

Walking is great for me as I like photography, navigation, nature, local history.

Just walking from home to work I notice so many things I would have missed in the car or on the peasant wagon!

B