Why do you go walking?

I know that for me walking in the country or even a nice park gives me a feeling of great peace.

Does anyone prefer walking on their own to just experience the quietness that still exists at times in this crazy world?

I much prefer walking on my own than in groups, although I think walking in groups must also have its merits.

I prefer walking on my own, i have done long walks in the past either in a group or with a walking partner but part of my enjoyment of the countryside is the whole solitary experience.

It's becoming so hard to find space to be alone these days.

The other upside is i tend to see more wildlife this way.

Detours can be made as you like and you can set your own pace.

I seem more aware of my senses and the experience is better, having said that, my mind often wanders off on it's own.

It clears my head - and allows me to relax and remember there is more to life than my troubles! Plus of course I get to take the camera with me and take some photos :)

I just like to aim myself at the steepest hill that I can find and get up there faster than the last time I did it.

Once Im at the top its lovely, but I do tend to treat walks as an endurance test, to see how far I can walk or how fast I can walk it.

Until a couple of years ago, when I knackered my cartilage, I sued to enjoy walking to support my other hobbies. So I'd go to investigate something like a stone circle (archaeology), photograph something interesting (photography), investigate the local wildlife or geology (natural history) or lump a radio up to the top of a hill to play amateur radio.

I enjoyed walking alone as well - I'm in control of the pace of my walk, where I stop, for how long and so on. Even when I was in the Yukon and Alaska I would go off on my own, just leaving a note with my vehicle or at teh local ranger station.

For me, walking is a solitary occupation - I can clear my head, enjoy the surroundings, and just ruminate on life.

I quite like walking on my own, but usually with dogs in tow. However, I don't think I'd get quite as far as I do with the walking group. Having someone to chat with makes the time go faster and I don't even notice the little aches and pains that set in over a certain distance.

There's merits to both. Sometimes I want a bit of peace, other times I like the laughs and new routes that others provide. I tend to get a bit stuck for ideas of where to go on my tod. :confused:

It's always good to have a pottering gang as well - head out somewhere, arrange to meet up in XX hours, and then all wander off and suit yourselves.

I`m with Godzilla on this subject. As a dog owner I go out on my own for up to an hour, but as I spend quite a bit of time on my own anyway, undertaking a 5 hour walk with just the dog would be unthinkable for me. For me walking is a social thing, and being a sociable sort of person, walking with a group is right up my street. It also opens up new horizons in terms of seeing new places, and learning about nature from other walkers. All depends whether a person can mix easily or not I suppose, as to whether they prefer their own company or that of others.

I think walking more than any other activity allows you to re-connect with nature.

B