Computer/internet help

hi all

I have developed a problem with the internet

I have bt broadband connection.

Problem is that if i am browsing the net i am over whelmed with pop- ups from spotresults.com and ad1.revenue.net

I have a sygate personal firewall installed but if i set it to normal I can`t browse at all I have to set it to allow all to beable to do anything.

Have I got a virus or problems with the firewall ? please help its driving me crazy !!!!

every thing was ok til yesterday

Originally posted by suzieq

hi all

I have developed a problem with the internet

I have bt broadband connection.

Problem is that if i am browsing the net i am over whelmed with pop- ups from spotresults.com and ad1.revenue.net

I have a sygate personal firewall installed but if i set it to normal I can`t browse at all I have to set it to allow all to beable to do anything

sorry, havent got a solution. i have the same problem

any ideas out there?????????????

You need a popup blocker - google toolbar has one try that it works fairly well for me.

You should also try ad-ware. Dowload it from http://www.lavasoftusa.com - this will get rid of dodgy advertising software that might have installed itself without your permission. It's the ad/spy-ware equivalent of a virus scanner.

Also, you could try using opera as your browser - it's very good and much more secure. http://www.opera.com

You need to run adaware and install and run something like Trojan guard, I bet something has added itself into your startup or embedded itself into Internet explorer without you seeing. have you suddenly got any new search bars or similar in internet explorer? if so it might be related to that. I had some infosearch thing that was a right ******** to get rid of! Install Google tool bar, that's blocks most ads and if you want to click a link that opens a new window or that it tried to block you just hold shift when you click it.

As well as using 'Ad aware' you also need 'Spybot search and destroy' (One picks up what the other might miss!).

Also install something like 'Spyware blaster' as this will stop most spyware getting on to your pc in the first place. Once you have installed them, you must update them before running each one!.

All should be available at http://www.majorgeeks.com

Next go to http://www.trendmicro.com and look for 'housecall'. This is a very good online virus scanner and should pick up anything on your pc.

Next go to http://www.windowsecurity.com/trojanscan/ . This is a very good online trojan scan and should pick up any trojans on your pc.

I know it sounds like a lot of hassle but you really should keep your pc safe!. I run Sygate as well and do not have any trouble with it at all.

Good luck!!!!

Get rid of Internet Explorer and install and use Mozilla Firefox instead.

Originally posted by slh73

Get rid of Internet Explorer and install and use Mozilla Firefox instead.

I tried firefox, seemed ok at first, quick downloads of pages at first, but after a while it really slowed down my pc to snails pace, taking nearly a minute to open up firefox, and the hard drive would be constantly spining whilst browsing the net via firefox. Also websites with java scripts wouldnt work properly without loading this and that plug in. I wondered if in fact firefox had spyware of some sort embeded in it. After uninstalling firefox these problems dissapeared.

Originally posted by mega_monty

I tried firefox, seemed ok at first, quick downloads of pages at first, but after a while it really slowed down my pc to snails pace, taking nearly a minute to open up firefox, and the hard drive would be constantly spining whilst browsing the net via firefox. Also websites with java scripts wouldnt work properly without loading this and that plug in. I wondered if in fact firefox had spyware of some sort embeded in it. After uninstalling firefox these problems dissapeared.

Yup, I found M F/F was a nuisance on stuff with Java Scripts. and get Download this plugin or that one! I use IE for SF Chat Room as it is so slow in M F/F.

Alex

I've been doing some searching and the same names keep popping up time and again.

Mozilla Firebird

Mozilla 1.4: (apparently this is v fast)

Mozilla Opera

Bear in mind that if you install a browser, it will use more of your cpu's memory as it is a completely different program to IE!.

I would second adaware, spyware blaster and search and destroy.

Would also recommend Norton Internet security suite too.

Firefox definately takes getting used to, and can take some setting up with plug ins. but personally i cant fault it, if it slows your machine fair enough, but there are better alternatives than going back to IE