Puppy wanted for loving home

Hi I want a puppy. Any type considered. Please PM me with details.

Thanks

Mummyjac

What are you looking for in a dog? What are your circumstances? Work, family etc.

What do you want to do with the dog? agility, heelwork to music, tricks and obedience?

How much loose hair do you want in your house?

Is there a certain size that would be better for you?

How much time do you want to spend exercising the dog?

Mummyjac

What are you looking for in a dog? What are your circumstances? Work, family etc.

What do you want to do with the dog? agility, heelwork to music, tricks and obedience?

How much loose hair do you want in your house?

Is there a certain size that would be better for you?

How much time do you want to spend exercising the dog?

I am wanting a companion who I can take for lots of walks. I don't work so am at home all day. I have a teenage son. I would like to take the puppy to puppy training classes but I am not bothered about it learning tricks. I have 3 cats and a house rabbit so I thought a pup would be better than a grown dog. I don't mind hair as the cats and bunny shed plenty so a bit more wont hurt. Any size would be ok.

Hi :wave:

I'm just off in a minute so will reply very quickly!

If you're not interested in doing extra activities with your dog, I'd strongly advise against any higly strung working breeds as they need plenty of mental and physical stimulation.

As for getting a pup rather than an adult, it's a good idea, but remember it doesn't always work. You should be prepared to cut off areas to the pup by providing a baby gate for the cats to escape through to their own place of safety and never to leave the dog alone with the rabbit (no matter how you think they get on ;) )

I got a pup so the cats would get used to her, and it just didn't work. However, the cats have their own safe spaces, they live upstairs and there is a stairgate to prevent the dogs going up there. They also have a cat flap so if they venture down to outside and the dog sees them, they can get out quickly through the cat flap.

They don't get on but they do co-habit ok. But you must be prepared to see a lot less of your cats! It's not always the case, but does happen. My pup never bothered with my cats but the cats literally taught the pup to chase them :(

I'll have a think about suitable breeds and crosses for you while I'm away from the pc :)

I'm just off in a minute so will reply very quickly!

If you're not interested in doing extra activities with your dog, I'd strongly advise against any higly strung working breeds as they need plenty of mental and physical stimulation.

As for getting a pup rather than an adult, it's a good idea, but remember it doesn't always work. You should be prepared to cut off areas to the pup by providing a baby gate for the cats to escape through to their own place of safety and never to leave the dog alone with the rabbit (no matter how you think they get on ;) )

I got a pup so the cats would get used to her, and it just didn't work. However, the cats have their own safe spaces, they live upstairs and there is a stairgate to prevent the dogs going up there. They also have a cat flap so if they venture down to outside and the dog sees them, they can get out quickly through the cat flap.

They don't get on but they do co-habit ok. But you must be prepared to see a lot less of your cats! It's not always the case, but does happen. My pup never bothered with my cats but the cats literally taught the pup to chase them :(

I'll have a think about suitable breeds and crosses for you while I'm away from the pc :)

Cheers Lotti. Much appreciated :)

I got a pup so the cats would get used to her, and it just didn't work. However, the cats have their own safe spaces, they live upstairs and there is a stairgate to prevent the dogs going up there.

Same here, one of the reasons we got a pup was so that it would grow up learning to show the cat some respect, but it didn't work and we have to keep a close eye on them cos the dog treats the cat like a live squeeky toy.

It could be worth considering getting an adult dog who has already lived with and is known to be good with dogs (the rest of you know where I'm going with this!).

If you look at the labrador welfare site, they regularly have adult dogs, who need to be rehomed as a result of a marriage breakup or because child allergy to dogs, who are known to be good with cats and children. As a bonus they will usually already be housetrained and know all the basic commands (and as a labrador owner myself, I don't believe you'll find a better dog to have with children than labradors, as a rule).

Have a look, follow this link:

http://www.labradorwelfare.org/LabradorWelfare/welcome.html

Thanking you, try it now!

why dont u rehome a retired guide dog for ur son u wnt find anything with more love to give than them i can try and get u the email if you want?

Same here, one of the reasons we got a pup was so that it would grow up learning to show the cat some respect, but it didn't work and we have to keep a close eye on them cos the dog treats the cat like a live squeeky toy.

It could be worth considering getting an adult dog who has already lived with and is known to be good with dogs (the rest of you know where I'm going with this!).

If you look at the labrador welfare site, they regularly have adult dogs, who need to be rehomed as a result of a marriage breakup or because child allergy to dogs, who are known to be good with cats and children. As a bonus they will usually already be housetrained and know all the basic commands (and as a labrador owner myself, I don't believe you'll find a better dog to have with children than labradors, as a rule).

Have a look, follow this link:

http://www.labradorwelfare.org/LabradorWelfare/welcome.html

It's worked for me thanks scoop :) Have emailed them

Hiya.. I don't know much about dogs but either but I have to say that you shouldn't ever, ever leave a dog alone with a rabbit. No matter how well you think they get on, all it will take would be one sudden movement from your rabbit (which rabbits do all the time) and the dog would snap and kill the rabbit, no matter what its temperament was like. That's just the thing with dogs - the see rabbits as prey, and even if they're the best of friends whilst your supervising them things are different when you're not watching.

HI,

Im one of the lucky ones-my cats and dogs get on really well. They clean eachother and the cats play with the dogs tails and the dogs seem to love it! weird :rolleyes:

We have got 2 labradors and they are so soft natured I dont think they would hurt a cat anyway-one of our dogs is very giddy and the cats dont seem to mind. :)

I hope whichever dog you get loves your cats because it melts my heart to see cats getting on so well with dogs :)

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u142/danianddan/DSC00249.jpg

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u142/danianddan/1.jpg