Race for life MEGATHREAD

Race for Life 2006  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Race for Life 2006

• Yes I will be running!
    • No I won't be running but have sponsored someone
    • Why are you bothering?

Good for you!!

I would like to sponsor you as well- do you take paypal?

One question though about the race for life:

WHY is it only women are allowed in it?

Cancer affects everyone and surely they would raise a hell of a lot more money by allowing blokes to enter.

Thank you! I'm not sure if it does take paypal-it should tell you on the website.

It's supposed to be a girl power thing I think, they welcome male volunteers to help though! I do think they should at least have a separate mens race if they can't join in-take it up with them!

Website says:

'Why women only?

Race for Life is the only women-only event of this type organised by Cancer Research UK. We restrict entry to women due to the wishes of our participants. It is one of our most successful events because it is a unique opportunity for women to come together in a non-competitive and celebratory atmosphere.'

Thanks again!

Abbi x

Its a pity there is not a men only race as well the same day - might have to suggest to them you never know in future :)

If you can open a paypal account let me know via PM or email and I'll send you the sponsorship straight away.

Lots of women (especially beginers) find racing with/against men very intimidating - lots of testosterone fueled agression...

Thats why its a non threatening, safe race for women to take part in

Non elite men only would end up in a punch up :!:

Well done you - will look to sponsor you at lunchtime, but for all you guys out there, if you want to join our walk along Hadrians Walk next year in aid of those fantastic macmillan nurses, contact me - barbara440@btinternet.co.uk.

Or, watch this space for our fundraising events.

I did the 60km walk for breakthrough breast cancer last September - what a fantastic experience. Wevraised over £5m and this year there are two 60km walks - one in Birmingham and one in London. Check out http://www.breakthroughbreastcancer.org.

Thankls to everyone who is getting involved in anyway to raise cash for cancer charities- they need every penny!!

Angelus, not sure how to use paypal really-only use it for ebay! but i think you can put money in my account which i can forward on to the website- my email address is abbigrice@hotmail.com

thanks, abbi x

Good luck!

I'm doing the Sheffield Half Marathon (for the third time) and am planning on rasing money for Starlight, which is a charity for terminally ill children (enabling them to live their dream, whether it be a trip to Disneyland or a chance to meet their favourite sportsman, actor, popstar).

Believe me, knowing that you're running for a charity virtually ensures you will finish the distance. You'll feel great in your own achievements and delighted to know that you've raised a few quid for some less fortunate people.

Enjoy it, then plan ahead for your next run!!

thats the only thing making me go to the gym! i'd never try to run without something like this to motivate me-i'm a lazy slob! running in memory of my dad and grandad who passed away in Oct 2004-determined to help cancer research find a cure!

Thanks for the sponsor babsie-will be sure to return the favour for your walk,

Abbi x

If i heard right one night on Look North, Race for life are doing a mens race too this year!

One question though about the race for life:

WHY is it only women are allowed in it?

Cancer affects everyone and surely they would raise a hell of a lot more money by allowing blokes to enter.

I've said this for a while. I think the event is great and raises a lot of money. yet there are cancers, such as breast cancer, which BOTH men and women can get. Cancer awareness and fundraising should be everyone together supporting one another.

Its a pity there is not a men only race as well the same day - might have to suggest to them you never know in future :)

If you can open a paypal account let me know via PM or email and I'll send you the sponsorship straight away.

There is a men's race but it's not as popular: http://www.runformoore.org

I too am running the Race for Life as part of the Girlguiding Sheffield team. The sites accept credit/debit card payments directly - all safe and secure.

My sponsorship page

My team's page

Hi is anyone running race for life this year?! If you are, have you begun training yet? Any tips?