Transport Companies Sheffield

Does anyone have any photos of JM Roper lorries..scrap yard that used to be in Brightside Lane, late sixties to late seventies ?

Rod would that have been the Grayson brothers, Alan ,Keith, Billy ,Allan and Brian.

Did you know the gaffers Ron and Ken Sherwood.

I have no photos but remember them as they were across from Pickfords yard when I worked there in the 60s and 70s they were maroon and and grey/blue livery and used to have a lot of old railway sleepers in their yard

I see Pawsons are back in business seen some of their trucks up and down the motorway,looks like they have changed the logos on the trucks a bit wander if they have paid the milkman..

So what's your name then . As I said I worked with both Eric and Mark and served the sister with petrol she had a black A35 did they call her Shirley . Ron and Ken was the bosses . Ron liked to be one of the boys liked be there boss .Saw many fights between Ron and drivers. There was Londoner can remember his name but him Ron was always at it I think they worked together before I think at pickfords

---------- Post added 18-02-2014 at 20:04 ----------

So what's your name then . As I said I worked with both Eric and Mark and served the sister with petrol she had a black A35 did they call her Shirley . Ron and Ken was the bosses . Ron liked to be one of the boys liked be there boss .Saw many fights between Ron and drivers. There was Londoner can remember his name but him Ron was always at it I think they worked together before I think at pickfords

I think the Londoner may have been Lofty I cannot recall his real name he always wore a ex army bennie hat

HI GRAHAM.

good to here from you i can remember bill garrer scotch man.also kenny cant john williams roy organ manager collinn fleming and many others good old days.

i worked with Kenny Can't (R.I.P.) at British Steel Rotherham

no one mentioned H.J.TUFFNELLS understand started with horse and cart developed in to lorrys depot in mary st moved to woodbourne road then to shepcote lane to present but now a International firm any one from 52 to 64 around

My dad worked for Tufnells when they were in St Marys Rd and had about five Fordson trucks with canvas covers on the back. Two or three vans were also garaged in a large shed in Langdon St, Sharrow. I went with him in the early 50s. We carried all manner of stuff from jars of sweets to drums of caramel to Hendersons in Leavygreave. When he was on "long distance" we would be heading to Leeds or Nottingham.

He later worked for many years for JE Parker who started in Borough Road, Hillsbrough and later in a yard just off Malin Bridge. They did proper long distance with a fleet of AEC, Atkinson and Albions with the 8 wheelers doing nightly trunksrs to London and Newport. Apart from the two Parker brothers, Vic and Eddie, the only name I can recall was another driver called Walt Dearman who lived in Manor Lane.

found a couple of blagdens/yendors which were sold off a few year ago when they packed up with the haulage side of the business ERF E10 - X Blagden Sheffield

ERF E10 - X Blagden Sheffield

I think Blagdens are still doing some transport work, and still a family business.

I've enjoyed reading through this thread, now can anyone remind me of the name of the haulage company on Lodge Lane at Aston running in the 70's. It always seemed a strange area to run a transport company from.

roberts transport green trucks mainly volvos.

The name of that company would be T Roberts(Haulage Contractors) Ltd. They operated a fleet of volvo artics and rigids in a green livery which always looked smart. The Company ceased trading some years ago and their former yard is now occupied by a nice set of semi detached houses.The road is now called Roberts Close .

The name of that company would be T Roberts(Haulage Contractors) Ltd. They operated a fleet of volvo artics and rigids in a green livery which always looked smart. The Company ceased trading some years ago and their former yard is now occupied by a nice set of semi detached houses.The road is now called Roberts Close .
ye T Roberts worked out of Gerard's at Kilnhurst,also tippers running out of money stone Quarry got some pics of em

---------- Post added 24-02-2017 at 10:34 ----------

Earls Transport