Transport Companies Sheffield

does anyone have any photos of any of these companies vehicles be it past or present that they could share with us?

Here's a few..............

IMG.jpg

I remember seeing S and H Motors but not the Hopley's motor.

CD5nGqQEGkKGrHqUOKm4Ez7W1e0MtBNQHL-wz2w_12.jpg

Trowbridge AEC MK3 coming out of London.A Peter Davies photo.

2r542m0.jpg

L Wilson BMC's.

TufnellsAlbion.jpg

Tuffnells Albion..........70 drops,45 collections,done for dinner.:hihi:

scan0798.jpg

C H Preston Leyland Marathon.

img813.jpg

H Askey,still going.

img815.jpg

Another of H Askey.Looks like the road from Loxley to Bradfield.

There's a few for a start:)

Here's a few..............

IMG.jpg

I remember seeing S and H Motors but not the Hopley's motor.

CD5nGqQEGkKGrHqUOKm4Ez7W1e0MtBNQHL-wz2w_12.jpg

Trowbridge AEC MK3 coming out of London.A Peter Davies photo.

2r542m0.jpg

L Wilson BMC's.

TufnellsAlbion.jpg

Tuffnells Albion..........70 drops,45 collections,done for dinner.:hihi:

scan0798.jpg

C H Preston Leyland Marathon.

img813.jpg

H Askey,still going.

img815.jpg

Another of H Askey.Looks like the road from Loxley to Bradfield.

There's a few for a start:)

they certainly bring back memories, i believe askeys won a truck & driver competition in the early 90s for best small haulier or best turned out vehicles or something, keep the pics coming :thumbsup:

manxdeedah if i remember the two albion were bought in 1960 61 for the new run to Leicester each day one driver called LES murphy traffic manager Ted Kennel. dock foreman George Eastman. at that time, plenty more names if you are interested

manxdeedah if i remember the two albion were bought in 1960 61 for the new run to Leicester each day one driver called LES murphy traffic manager Ted Kennel. dock foreman George Eastman. at that time, plenty more names if you are interested

Harmston,I didn't know any Tuffnells drivers but the name Les Murphy rings a bell.I do have a mate who is or was shunting for them on Shepcote Lane,I've not heard owt from him for a bit but he was getting better with drawbars he said:hihi:.His name is Dave Molteno.

Here's a "Big green parcel machine"..........doesn't look like Shepcote Lane though.

Tuffnellsatroyton.jpg

My dad drove for Harry Atkinson and Sons, he bought Harry's pigeon loft from him. His name was Don. Also remember a driver called Pete Gill, and one with the nickname 'Chappy' ?

My dad drove for Harry Atkinson and Sons, he bought Harry's pigeon loft from him. His name was Don. Also remember a driver called Pete Gill, and one with the nickname 'Chappy' ?

Hi Dean,I knew one or two Harry Atkinson drivers years ago but their names escape me,sorry.I ought to remember,they were always either in the Tree cafe at Alrewas or the Oakamoor cafe,both on the A38:hihi:.Years later,one of their drivers came to Wincanton at Maltby in the 90s,his name was Kev Mennels.

Here's a rayt old Harry A six-legger............:D

harryatkinsonkewdodge.jpg

Cheers,

Chris

Manxdeedar the Les i was referring to must be in his high 70s now this was at woodbourne rd. This was my 2 stint from 61-64 but i started at Mary st in 52 to 54 that is as a van lad on doncaster then went spare with G Eastman taught to drive before doing N/S by these drivers, with the aid of a 12 inch ruler across the knuckles if you made the same mistake twice ,you soon learnt. great days a lot of good memories H.J.and his brother Cliff were real gentlemen

Hallam Freight now owned by R W Simpson. worked in the garage for 10+ years

I believe Arnold Pell was an employee of Ernest Thorpe and was paid for the use of his name on the operators licence, worked in the garage for a year or so.

Here's a "Big green parcel machine"..........doesn't look like Shepcote Lane though.

Tuffnellsatroyton.jpg

Looks like Shaw Rd, Oldham Depot

Manxdeedar the Les i was referring to must be in his high 70s now this was at woodbourne rd. This was my 2 stint from 61-64 but i started at Mary st in 52 to 54 that is as a van lad on doncaster then went spare with G Eastman taught to drive before doing N/S by these drivers, with the aid of a 12 inch ruler across the knuckles if you made the same mistake twice ,you soon learnt. great days a lot of good memories H.J.and his brother Cliff were real gentlemen

A crack across the knuckles sounds a good idea,reminds me of when trailer lads used to get the knotted rope off the wagon and drag driver for falling asleep on night trunk.:D

Whereabouts were Tuffnells on Woodbourne Road,I worked for Prestons and they were on the left off Cricket Inn Road where T C Harrison moved into,before the railway bridge.

They were great days as you say but they can shove it where the sun don't shine now - cab phones,digi cards,timed deliveries,snotty kids running transport offices and all that crap-oh,and 500 bhp limited to 56mph,not for me. Log sheets,a few coppers for a phone call for a backload,no speed limiters and cafes full of drivers who would go out of their way to help you out.

Do I sound like a grumpy old sod?:hihi:

Cheers,

Chris.

Harmston,I didn't know any Tuffnells drivers but the name Les Murphy rings a bell.I do have a mate who is or was shunting for them on Shepcote Lane,I've not heard owt from him for a bit but he was getting better with drawbars he said:hihi:.His name is Dave Molteno.

Tuffnellsatroyton.jpg

i did a 3 week work experience from school at tufnells on shepcote lane