Transport Companies Sheffield

anyone else got anymore pics to show us from the 60s to present date?

I'll have a rummage round,see what I've got,some from Maltby though,does that count as Sheffield - Maltbyites would say not.:hihi:

In the meantime,a couple of up to date photos taken at Saltersbrook on Woodhead..........

2841090510100666938S600x600Q85.jpg

1193982_652652ed.jpg

You can see Maritime are in a hurry,crossing the double whites.

And I had to put this on,the Dog and Partridge pub top side of Flouch,times many I've had dodgy nights round the back of that place,just put yer parking money in a box on the wall and watch out for the landlords Alsatian.Altered a bit since then I notice.

058288_467fdc8c.jpg

Edited by Manxdeedah

great photos, wish i got a penny every time ive climbed up woodhead back loaded comeing home, especially in winter, fine in tintwistle thick snow on top of woodhead, not a route to mess with.

1193982_652652ed.jpg

You can see Maritime are in a hurry,crossing the double whites.

....jeeeez , and on a bad bend as well !!!!!!:o

Talking about dodgy nights out,I was working for Pawsons at the time and was just bunking down after a long day,I was in the big truck stop in Swidon,next thing there is a tap tap on the side off the truck,so I shuffuld over to the door and parted the curtains to see what it was,stood there was this this Im not sure what sex, but if you can imagine what an old slapper looks like, she must have been 60years old if she was a day, big red lips leather bask top leather mini skirt fish net tights red high heel shoes, you get the picture,she says have you got a bed for the night driver?,I said no bugger off I'm trying to get some sleep! clip clop to the next truck, and the next truck,someone took here in further down the row somewhere.

Edited by Shogun

great photos, wish i got a penny every time ive climbed up woodhead back loaded comeing home, especially in winter, fine in tintwistle thick snow on top of woodhead, not a route to mess with.

Aye,wish I'd got a fiver for every time I'd been over Woodhead sprocky.I've used it since 1968 and latterly 5 or 6 times a week on nights when I was nights for Glass Glover at Maltby in the late 70s and 80s.Could write a small book about my experiences on that road.

I remember one night when I was on for A.E.Evans coming home loaded in an AEC Mk5 8-legger,legal as well,it was raining at Tintwhistle but turned to sleet and then snow as you got further up.I struggled like hell to get over,no traffic coming other way,slid down to Flouch where I was stopped by the police who told me I was out of order as the road was closed,why didn't I obey the "road closed" sign at Tintwhistle.There was no sign when I went through I told 'em,and they let me go.

I found out later that the kids in Tintwhistle used to move the sign...........little sods.:rolleyes:

The worst thing was when South Yorks used to salt the road as far as Saltersbrook and turn round,but Derbyshire C.C. hadn't turned out,straight off a wet road onto black ice,not good with a drawbar or owt else for that matter.At least there wasn't much about at night so you weren't pushed,apart from Machins from Spalding on their Manchester changeovers who were always in a hurry.

Aye,wish I'd got a fiver for every time I'd been over Woodhead sprocky.I've used it since 1968 and latterly 5 or 6 times a week on nights when I was nights for Glass Glover at Maltby in the late 70s and 80s.Could write a small book about my experiences on that road.

I remember one night when I was on for A.E.Evans coming home loaded in an AEC Mk5 8-legger,legal as well,it was raining at Tintwhistle but turned to sleet and then snow as you got further up.I struggled like hell to get over,no traffic coming other way,slid down to Flouch where I was stopped by the police who told me I was out of order as the road was closed,why didn't I obey the "road closed" sign at Tintwhistle.There was no sign when I went through I told 'em,and they let me go.

I found out later that the kids in Tintwhistle used to move the sign...........little sods.:rolleyes:

The worst thing was when South Yorks used to salt the road as far as Saltersbrook and turn round,but Derbyshire C.C. hadn't turned out,straight off a wet road onto black ice,not good with a drawbar or owt else for that matter.At least there wasn't much about at night so you weren't pushed,apart from Machins from Spalding on their Manchester changeovers who were always in a hurry.

Talking about the woodhead I was coming over that new bridge a few years ago when I was working for TSL heavy haulage,with a ramp trailer and a massiv Drot on the back, about two o'clock in the morning,next thing boom! I had a front near side tyre blow out,talk about change of under pants,I was doing about 40 miles an hour,God knows how I dint loose it, the thing that mifft me was drivers were coming up behind me blowing there horns and flashing there lights,like as though I would park there or something, mad!

yea, you were very lucky not the best place to have a blow out, had plenty of flats but touch wood never a blow out.

1 of intake transports daf 105s intake transport  , sheffield

DAF XF-Intake Transport Scunthorpe  23/9/2010

volvo fh Volvo- Intake Transport Scunthorpe  20/7/2010

Volvo-INTAKE TRANSPORT Scunthorpe

although their main depot is now in scunthorpe, theyve still got a yard in sheffield

Edited by mh01

a M.A.N belonging to SBS Man-SBS Removals Sheffield 30/6/2010

1 of truswells cf's painted in its contractors colours DAF CF-Schneider Industry(UK) Ltd./ Trusswell Haulage

1 of truswells cf's painted in its contractors colours DAF CF-Schneider Industry(UK) Ltd./ Trusswell Haulage
Truswells had a contract with that fencing manufacturers down Shepcotte lane did a bit of agency work for them,there yard is out at Dodworth.

a M.A.N belonging to SBS Man-SBS Removals Sheffield 30/6/2010
Thats another good firm gone down the pan,they did the wheelie bin contract for Tytan, a firm from Scotland called Clockwork bought them over they dint seem interested in the transport side of SBS and moved it out to Aston and thind it down to nothing .